RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ethics question on Muzzle Brakes

Not trying to drift too far off topic, but, this article compares different muzzle devices. It's well written and pretty detailed. It shows how drastically a quality design can change a brake's effectiveness.
    http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...-test-results/

Boolit Master
    In 3gun and multigun shooting muzzle brakes are used a lot. I tend to use ear plugs and electronic muffs on top. Back when I shot high power matches where the line was all M1s, M1As and bolt guns in 308 and 30-06 I thought the sound was much worse than the comp ARs. Nowdays most of my ARs use flash suppressors. My 14.5 AR uses a pinned flash suppersor to make 16.1 Inches. My brother has a 10.5inch AR in 5.56 and a muzzlebrake. It is very loud. But the muzzle brake in made to go with his suppersor and works well to make it quiter. Muffs are still need.

At my range I tend to not shoot near the loud guns and when I shoot loud guns I will try to stay away from people shooting quit guns.

Boolit Master
    Anybody remember the old Lyman Cutts Compesators once popular with shotgun shooters many decades ago? They too had side vents making them deafening to be near. I once shot a Thompson that had a Cutts with top vents on the barrel. They were standard on certain early models.

Banned

kind of the

"lineman in me" that fueled my reaction that day! Guess too as lineman were kind of use to loud and arrogant people and not taking lip from them as a lot of the guys we work for are that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Lloyd, that would be my approach too. When I made my first post, I think I failed to mention that my first attempt at communication would have been friendly and polite. It would have remained so as long as the other shooter tried to do the same. But arrogant snooty people can cause the Lineman in me to come out!
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.

For some years I shot a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine caliber..Indoors it was very loud and threw a muzzle flash that was nuts...I was very careful when I shot it to try and get away from folks but if not...I'd often shoot something else till they left or advise them I was about to unleash a blast and fire that might take them by surprise...after the first few shots...most asked if they could shoot it and I'd usually say yes (depending on the person)..sold it some years back..kind of wish I had it back.

As brakes become more common, people are beginning to understand how annoying they can be. Ten years ago I would have said that he was not aware of how much they disturbed those around him. Today, I suspect he just didn't care.

We had one young guy with a break on a 243 that would lift your hat when he touched it off when you were shooting on the bench next to him. Took a little explaining to get him to move away.

And a joking offer to bring out a strip of sheet metal and a couple of hose clamps if he didn't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123