Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethics question on Muzzle Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    For you Guys that use a brake, is the POI shift consistent with and without the brake or does it change overtime you install and remove it.
    In my guns the poi shift is consistent if your using the same gun, ammo and brake / suppressor
    change any of that and it's going to have a new POI. For example if I shoot with a
    muzzle brake and add a suppressor to the muzzle brake it will change the POI
    Let's say you have two guns running the same muzzle brake and you move the suppressor
    from one gun to the other - on one rifle it changes it 2" and the other 4". But it is repeatable.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I dislike muzzle brakes. I have several very high powered rifles, one of them custom. I hate the noise of rifles that have them. In my opinion, a muzzle brake doesn't help that much anyway.
    My Browning Citori 725 Sporting 12 Ga came with muzzle brakes on both barrels. I wish it didn't have them but as far as I know it's not an option to not have them.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master

Next time take a flinter and don't holler flintlock before you touch one off!

Boolit Master

Only have (1) rifle with a muzzle break, my AR-50 rifle (.50 BMG). Feels like shooting a 12 gauge or less; without it not sure I would shoot it. Blast to the sides is "IMMENSE". I always have spotters and spectators stand behind the shooter when we go to the range. I also try to shoot during the week if at a Club Range, always warn anyone in the area before we shoot given the massive gas blast on the sides where the break funnels the blast.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Only have (1) rifle with a muzzle break, my AR-50 rifle (.50 BMG). Feels like shooting a 12 gauge or less; without it not sure I would shoot it. Blast to the sides is "IMMENSE". I always have spotters and spectators stand behind the shooter when we go to the range. I also try to shoot during the week if at a Club Range, always warn anyone in the area before we shoot given the massive gas blast on the sides where the break funnels the blast.
    My club doesn't allow 50 BMG's. They claim it tears up the berms too bad.
    Anyway, I saw a funny YouTube Video sometime back of a guy shooting a 50 BMG off the tailgate of his truck. He was using the tailgate for a bench. His first shot "I assume" cratered the tail light and lens that was close to the muzzle.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Well I'm looking and all I'm finding is a thread cover or $180 "flash hider", I'd like something that looks halfway decent to replace what's on it now.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I have a 32c in 357 sig. It's probably the flattest recoiling semi auto handgun I have. It is however very loud and has a blinding muzzle flash.
    Awright, Doug. Duly noted. LTNS, Senor!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Artful, Thanks for the info. That makes sense and is about what I would have thought. Down South, there is a big difference with brakes. I have shot some that are like you describe in not making much difference and I have shot some that were very effective. I've even seen some that helped accuracy. I'm not sure how to tell the difference without shooting with one. Effective or not, they are all loud and obnoxious!

Banned
    never have had that problem since I shoot on my own range, but did you talk to the folks before you got your feelers hurt?

Moderator Emeritus

I disagree, I use a muzzle brake on my 223 AR and it helps a lot with target follow up. I am typically shooting 200- 300 yards... so using a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I think that one just has a flash hider. You might want to check the true barrel length on it though. It's listed as "16 inches", but I don't know if that includes the flash hider. If it does, then the flash hider is going to be pinned and welded (or some other rather permanent attachment method). If the barrel itself is 16" without the flash hider, then you can take it off and do whatever you want with it.

But, it's just a .223, so I don't really see a need for controlling muzzle rise in such a light recoiling rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I think that one just has a flash hider. You might want to check the true barrel length on it though. It's listed as "16 inches", but I don't know if that includes the flash hider. If it does, then the flash hider is going to be pinned and welded (or some other rather permanent attachment method). If the barrel itself is 16" without the flash hider, then you can take it off and do whatever you want with it.

But, it's just a .223, so I don't really see a need for controlling muzzle rise in such a light recoiling rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Muzzle brakes are way down the list of "Reasons Why I Do Most Of My Shooting In The Desert". Only one firearm in my safe has such a device, a Glock 22C that I have yet to fire. It will be interesting to see what effect (if any) it has on recoil, which in 40 Short & Weak is not exactly daunting to begin with.
    In both cases it's not how hard the gun recoils, it's where it's pointing after the shot. A compensator allows for a faster follow up shot whether varmint hunting or competing. One varmint hunter I know had a JP recoil eliminator installed on his .22-250 so he could see his bullet strikes.

I went hunting with a friend last week that had a blast deflector on his AR. It was like a tube with a washer welded into the back end of it, about twice the diameter of the break. It did a good job of deflecting the blast forward but the comp was still effective.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Be careful and wear eye protection when sitting next to the guy shooting with a muzzle brake. Years ago I was at local range when a couple guys show up with a rifle and a newly installed brake, first shot I got a sting on my neck, walked over to my pickup and looked in the mirror, blood dot. I loaded up and went home, wife took a very small spec of metal out of my skin with nail clippers, white metal IIRC so something left over from install. I guess the neck is better than an eye.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Our rifle clubs have blast shields made of 1/8" plywood. They are in 2x4 bases and are approximately 60 degrees with a 2" gap in the center.to put the bbl in.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Banned

I guess my first thought would be can "I" move away from it. If not then id ask politely when he was going to be done so I could shoot without the distraction and maybe ask him politely what days he shoots so you can avoid it. As long as theres no rule against it at that range I guess he has the same right to shoot as I do. I think about 99 percent of people are going to try to work with you if you ask nicely. Some people who only shoot say a 22lr might have the same attitude if someone is shooting there 300 mag getting ready for hunting season or is shooting a 454 that day. Because you only shoot 22s doesn't really give you right to control what others consider fun to shoot. Back in the day I shot at a organized range. the rifle/handgun range was about a 100 yards from the trap and skeet range. Typical of a lot of gun clubs the trap and skeet shooters were kind of the snobs and thought they controlled the club. I was shooting a few handguns one day and 3 guys walked up to me and told me I had to quit shooting because it was bothering them and causing misses. Now I was there an hour before then showed up and they heard me shooting when they started. I told them that and they got snooty so I basically told them where to pack it and put away my 45 acps and 9s and pulled out the 475 and 500 and gave them something to wine about. they went stomping into the club house and complained to the president of the club. He came out and ask me about it and it told him what happened. He told the trap guys that if they didn't like it to pack up and come back another day.

Boolit Grand Master

Lloyd, that would be my approach too. When I made my first post, I think I failed to mention that my first attempt at communication would have been friendly and polite. It would have remained so as long as the other shooter tried to do the same. But arrogant snooty people can cause the Lineman in me to come out!

I like them for certain things.
    I put a muzzle brake on my 30-06 that is light weight for mountain hunting. It kicked fairly hard and since 99% of its shooting is on a bench, it now kicks about like a 243, but very loud. Made a huge difference.

Moderator Emeritus

Even on my AR the recoil reduction helps my carpal tunnel/rotator cuff issues, I need to order a brake for my shortened type 53(7.62x54r Chinese Mosin) because it beats the heck out of my shoulder. 10 shots and I am done...

I make muzzle brakes, and have them on just about every rifle I own, and I've never had a complaint from any other shooter at the range. First off, they don't, nor can they, amplify the sound, merely redirect it. My brakes not only reduce recoil, they kill muzzle lift, because that's how I designed them, with the ports venting up and back, at 30 and 80 degrees. Inside, there are expansion chambers for the gas, before venting, something I have not seen on any other brake, and only one baffle, at the front. The exception to this, is on my .300 win mag, which I machined a second baffle at the center. Frankly, I can't hear any difference in sound levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Someudername View Post
    I make muzzle brakes, and have them on just about every rifle I own, and I've never had a complaint from any other shooter at the range. First off, they don't, nor can they, amplify the sound, merely redirect it. My brakes not only reduce recoil, they kill muzzle lift, because that's how I designed them, with the ports venting up and back, at 30 and 80 degrees. Inside, there are expansion chambers for the gas, before venting, something I have not seen on any other brake, and only one baffle, at the front. The exception to this, is on my .300 win mag, which I machined a second baffle at the center. Frankly, I can't hear any difference in sound levels.
    You are correct that they redirect the sound, to those off to the side, or try shooting one out of a tin roof box stand. an AR 15 with the flash hider/muzzle brake with such a small cartridge is louder than a 300 Mag without a muzzle brake off the bench to me.
    Barrel lift may be an issue to some. Most of my shots are hunting other than testing loads. If I don't make my first shot true on a deer, a second shot is about as useless as a screen door on a submarine.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Although I doubt he's using correct equipment and methodology it shows there is
    a difference between brake designs.
    Last edited by Artful; 07-18-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast