RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ethics question on Muzzle Brakes

Boolit Master

Ethics question on Muzzle Brakes

I was out at the local range a few days ago and a group arrived and took the shooting bench next to me. Nice folks, very polite, but shooting very high power loads with a muzzle brake. I had a note paper on my bench with sight settings. Every time they fired the rifle the muzzle blast would blow the notes off my bench. It got me to wondering what the proper ethics are for using a muzzle brake at a range. I know I am exposed to lots of things at a range, but not sure I like breathing the muzzle gas of the guy next to me instead of it going down range-- or getting blown around by the blast. I was shooting cast loads (not too loud) but had to push the ear plugs in extra deep to put up with the blast of the guy next to me.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    If it's a public range you have to remember you are dealing with....... the public.

I give fair warning personally before touching off one of my loud guns when at the county range. I shoot in the desert more and more and stay away from the public range for several reasons but mainly because of people.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

If I am out shooting with friends in the woods or a public range, i give a coutesy of sitting as far away from others as I can or go off to the side if in the woods.

Curious question, I have a 16" LR/SR-308 with a muzzle break and have been caught in the side blast, I wasn't prepared for that! Shooting it is mild compared to being beside it! What could I put on this rifle, as I'd still like to manage barrel rise, somewhat, without blasting others?
    Yes, I'm serious, until standing beside it, I had no idea it really was that bad, I seriously get the OP's question!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any muzzle breaks but on my rifles with flash hiders or the louder sharper ones I also stay away from the group as much as possible as a courtesy. The BPCRs while loud is a duller boom and not as sharp a crack. What surprises me is when I'm set up away from others how often someone will come and set up beside me when shooting the more annoying ones. I have been around the breaks and they are worse to the sides than behind.

Ideally you would trade out your brake for your suppressor - depending upon the brake you have you can get a cover turning your brake into a psuedo flaming pig which shoves all the blast forward

https://sdtacticalarms.com/SDTA-pig-cover_p_72.html

But most brakes won't have the external threads to put on suppressor or cover. And if your sighting in taking off the brake will change the point of impact compared to having it on.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Curious question, I have a 16" LR/SR-308 with a muzzle break and have been caught in the side blast, I wasn't prepared for that! Shooting it is mild compared to being beside it! What could I put on this rifle, as I'd still like to manage barrel rise, somewhat, without blasting others?
    Yes, I'm serious, until standing beside it, I had no idea it really was that bad, I seriously get the OP's question!
    If the holes in the muzzle device are pointing sideways, they are doing nothing for barrel rise. Only the holes in the top affect muzzle rise. The ones in the side (if they are angled back towards you) can counteract recoil somewhat. If they are just pointing to the sides, they might reduce recoil a bit since the gas is directed out the sides where it would have no effect vs going out the barrel where it would contribute to recoil slightly.

If you put a muzzle break that only had opening in the top, you would probably reduce the impact upon people beside you while also decreasing your muzzle rise.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    If the holes in the muzzle device are pointing sideways, they are doing nothing for barrel rise. Only the holes in the top affect muzzle rise. The ones in the side (if they are angled back towards you) can counteract recoil somewhat. If they are just pointing to the sides, they might reduce recoil a bit since the gas is directed out the sides where it would have no effect vs going out the barrel where it would contribute to recoil slightly.

If you put a muzzle break that only had opening in the top, you would probably reduce the impact upon people beside you while also decreasing your muzzle rise.
    Stupid question followed by another.
    What if one were to put ports on the top, slightly angled back? A best of both worlds or nightmare?
    I'm not where I can look at my brake right now, but it's a stock DPMS Sportical.
    I could make the cover discussed, but I think I could buy a "muzzle guard" for less than my time and materials at the machine shop.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Stupid question followed by another.
    What if one were to put ports on the top, slightly angled back? A best of both worlds or nightmare?
    I'm not where I can look at my brake right now, but it's a stock DPMS Sportical.
    I could make the cover discussed, but I think I could buy a "muzzle guard" for less than my time and materials at the machine shop.
    I think that one just has a flash hider. You might want to check the true barrel length on it though. It's listed as "16 inches", but I don't know if that includes the flash hider. If it does, then the flash hider is going to be pinned and welded (or some other rather permanent attachment method). If the barrel itself is 16" without the flash hider, then you can take it off and do whatever you want with it.

But, it's just a .223, so I don't really see a need for controlling muzzle rise in such a light recoiling rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I think that one just has a flash hider. You might want to check the true barrel length on it though. It's listed as "16 inches", but I don't know if that includes the flash hider. If it does, then the flash hider is going to be pinned and welded (or some other rather permanent attachment method). If the barrel itself is 16" without the flash hider, then you can take it off and do whatever you want with it.

But, it's just a .223, so I don't really see a need for controlling muzzle rise in such a light recoiling rifle.
    It's threaded, and there are TWO versions of the Sportical, .223 and .308, I've got the larger of the two, so yes, it does help.

Boolit Grand Master

To me, it seems kind of rude for a fellow with a brake to set up next to another shooter if there were other benches available. But, giving the fellow the benefit of the doubt, he may not realize how obnoxious a brake can be to those beside him. If it was a large enough range I would get up and move to another bench. If there is room, I'm not above asking him to move farther over provided that I see his brake before he gets all of his gear out and if there are other benches. Stuff like this makes me more appreciative of having a private place to shoot.

On another note, I have a new barrel for my 223 Varmint rifle that I have not installed yet. I am considering putting a brake on it whenever I have it chambered. I have thought about this "obnoxious" factor. My only reason for wanting a brake on a 223 is that it recoils just enough that I don't get to see the Prairie Dog explode in the scope picture! For you Guys that use a brake, is the POI shift consistent with and without the brake or does it change evertime you install and remove it.
    Last edited by lightman; 07-13-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Common courtesy is in short supply these days. It behooves one to act or react accordingly.
    Had that been me with my notes blowing in the wind, I would've simply moved on to another bench.
    "Defensive Being" is what I call it. Always be prepared to react and adjust to others. Just like driving.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    I put a brake on my 6mm AI varmint gun to help with seeing the hits but took it off in the field--every time the shot broke it felt like someone hit me in the face with a pillow--not conducive to seeing the hits. I tried everything could think of but it was just too much gun for the task--finally went away from the powder hogs and settled on smaller cartriges for anything under 300 yds on prarie dogs. 204 Ruger being my favorite...for larger critters/longer ranges out to 800 it's the 22 CHeetah III--a fast twist cheetah set up for heavy metal in 22 caliber.

No brake there either.

My first experience with them was at a public range, some rifle cal 6" AR with a recoil reducing brake. I just moved away from the line thinking the guy would take a hint. Nope. Non-connected wood shooting bench would shake when he pulled the trigger. At least he was doing somewhat rapid fire so it didn't last long before he was out of ammo. At least the pistol bays have solid dividers that help a little.
    Top ported brakes are readily available. I don't use one on my LR308 carbine, bounce isn't too bad. Can't imagine why some would use one hunting.
    Last edited by popper; 07-13-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I'm so use to shooting at the match's were 100% of the line uses brakes with shooters 5 to 6 feet on each of you they don't bother me at all.

Boolit Grand Master
    Muzzle brakes are way down the list of "Reasons Why I Do Most Of My Shooting In The Desert". Only one firearm in my safe has such a device, a Glock 22C that I have yet to fire. It will be interesting to see what effect (if any) it has on recoil, which in 40 Short & Weak is not exactly daunting to begin with.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 07-13-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Muzzle brakes are way down the list of "Reasons Why I Do Most Of My Shooting In The Desert". Only once firearm in my safe has such a device, a Glock 22C that I have yet to fire. It will be interesting to see what effect (if any) it has on recoil, which in 40 Short & Weak is not exactly daunting to begin with.
    I have a 32c in 357 sig. It's probably the flattest recoiling semi auto handgun I have. It is however very loud and has a blinding muzzle flash.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

What was this person shooting a AR?

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    To me, it seems kind of rude for a fellow with a brake to set up next to another shooter if there were other benches available. But, giving the fellow the benefit of the doubt, he may not realize how obnoxious a brake can be to those beside him. If it was a large enough range I would get up and move to another bench. If there is room, I'm not above asking him to move farther over provided that I see his brake before he gets all of his gear out and if there are other benches. Stuff like this makes me more appreciative of having a private place to shoot.

On another note, I have a new barrel for my 223 Varmint rifle that I have not installed yet. I am considering putting a brake on it whenever I have it chambered. I have thought about this "obnoxious" factor. My only reason for wanting a brake on a 223 is that it recoils just enough that I don't get to see the Prairie Dog explode in the scope picture! For you Guys that use a brake, is the POI shift consistent with and without the brake or does it change overtime you install and remove it.
    I fell into the ignorant category, had I not been standing right beside my nephew when he fired it off, I'd have never known how bad it really was, it's bad!
    I guess I need to go on a hunt for some type of replacement now.

Boolit Master
    Now you know why I hate the things and I have two. You probably noticed the blast from my 338 WM at NCBS even though I tried to get some distance from others. I did notice some years back that the effect of the brake on that 338 really kicks in at about 1850-1900 fps so I try to keep my velocity just below that which helps a little and maybe is not so bad for others. Even at the lower velocity, you can't use it in the field without ear protection without experience real pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast