Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
PBcastcoLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Junk Yard Dog Loads

Boolit Master

Whistlers? Had a 356637 Devestator HP for the 9mm with the large HP cavity that whistled going down range. Might see if anyone else has had a similar experience./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Bub
    I've used split shot sinkers cut in half and loaded into shot capsules. They are great close up. Some decent patterns.

Boolit Master

I loaded a bunch of the 9mm Lyman Devastator HP bullets once and they scream pretty good. Weren't overly accurate either so I didn't pursue that any farther./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Wonder if anyone has ever developed a boolit that whistles (screams) as it goes downrange.
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    always preferred the biggest softest piece of lead i could use!

As an experiment when I was younger I played with this quite a bit in shot shells. #9 copper wire cut to length of the wad in a 12ga can be fairly impressive. More impressive are what we called "dime loads" I built a pound swage to convert 50cal rb to flat lead washers of a size that would pass a full choke in the aa12 wad and worked up some loads. They hung together and patterned him inside 6" out to about 30 yards. A new punch was made to center a 3/16 hole in each washer so that a pin of lead wire could be used to rivet the stack together. These stayed attached in flight and separated on impact. Each washer being pushed buy the one behind it before sliding off the stack to go its merry way. For a couple of hillbilly kids that where too broke to buy slugs for a slug only hunting area these where a good solution. The copper and the loose stack was never used on anything other than coyotes and pests. But the slugs proved to be accurate enough and really effective on a couple of deer in timber. I don't recall tracking anything after it was hit by one of these monsters. I don't see why the concept couldn't be downsized for pistol use.
    Last edited by firebyprolong; 06-19-2018 at 09:46 AM.

So, was rock salt ever really used in shotgun? Always heard the story about it.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    50-60 grain wad-cutters double and triple stacked in 38 spcl cases can be entertaining. 357 cases seem to have too much taper-wall-thickness to get 3 into.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    As A young lad I used rock salt in a H and R single barrel to get a bull out of my Grans vegie patch, the scrotum was to tempting to pass up and he took the fence with him. Regards Stephen

Was he injured or just sore?I guess the question is there damage done or just a light sand blasting?
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Wonder if anyone has ever developed a boolit that whistles (screams) as it goes downrange.
    I know a guy that has a 45/70 Hp mold. He runs hp pin 3/4 depth of bullet, takes a sharp knife
    and cuts small V into cavity and squeezes hp almost shut with pliers. He shots these at low vel
    and they whistle and buzz. He shots one every once in a while just to jack other guys on the
    range. Another guy down in WVa had a Kazoo on his extended barrel card gun. Had bleeder to
    power it in joint where barrel sections were joined.

Boolit Man
    I have got to try punching lead sheet wads and stacking them. Maybe in my 44 shotshell gun. More fun for the camp!

Any tumbling bullet will make racket as it goes down range, poor accuracy and keyholes on target generally accompany the sounds.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Jay, I was a Cop for 16 yrs. and attended the FBI Firearms Instructor school where shooting liability was discussed in many classes. I also attended LSU's Criminal Institute and many other like classes over the years. Not one of those classes had to do with the type of weapon used nor the ammo it fired.
    If I was to shoot a man square in the face with a load of fleshetts from a 12 ga shotgun, The question would not be the load, the question would be if I was justified in pulling the trigger and taking his life.
    In fact any ammo loaded as described would be great for home defense as it would not penetrate inner or outer walls and bring harm to a innocent bystander. That was the principal used by the original designer of the Glaser Safety Slug. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    This was passed on by Dean Grennell many years ago. Several years ago I put a few together - just to see what I could see. I used some welding rod (brass I think - can't really remember).

Attachment 199721

I fired them through a Charter Bulldog .44 spl.

Attachment 199722

and tested 'em on a tater at about 10 ft. or so.

Attachment 199723

they're a pain to put together, but I suppose they'd do the job they're intended for (whatever that is).
    if it was brass rod, it would be brazing rod, not welding rod. welding rod would be steel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    Jay, I was a Cop for 16 yrs. and attended the FBI Firearms Instructor school where shooting liability was discussed in many classes. I also attended LSU's Criminal Institute and many other like classes over the years. Not one of those classes had to do with the type of weapon used nor the ammo it fired.
    If I was to shoot a man square in the face with a load of fleshetts from a 12 ga shotgun, The question would not be the load, the question would be if I was justified in pulling the trigger and taking his life.
    In fact any ammo loaded as described would be great for home defense as it would not penetrate inner or outer walls and bring harm to a innocent bystander. That was the principal used by the original designer of the Glaser Safety Slug. Later David
    Hornady critical defense would be my GO to if I wanted stopping power, AND also didn't want to shoot thru walls.

I set up a test with ballistic gelatin a rack of fresh ribs, cloth from a t-shirt and denim jeans, and 2 panels of 1/2" drywall spaced apart using 2x4 to simulate in interior, un-insulated house wall, and then a damage evident target behind that.

In other words a layer of shirt, a layer of denim, a layer of ribs, then a block of gelatin to simulate your bad guy. I used 2 different gelatin block lengths to simulate skinny bad guys, and plump bad guys. Behind that I setup the standing drywall simulated hollow interior wall. behind that I stood side by side a bunch of 2L soda bottles filled with red food colored water to simulate a soft target ont he other side of the wall that was being hit by over-penetrating rounds. Behind that was a dirt berm .

My first 4 tests were with .380 and .45 acp. I shot FMJ, and then HCD. Each shot got it's own gell block and ribs and clothes, yada yada yada.

Shots were fired at about 3'-4' I set this up so that the 'defending' shooter, the gap and the 'attacker' were within 9' wall to wall. In other words, the shot you might make if you were standing in a small bedroom with your back near the wall, and an intruder kicked the door in and stepped into the room.

Results were as expected. FMJ ammo might as well be called 'standard light armor piercing'.

The .380 and .45acp FMJ penetrated clothes, ribs, full lenght of the gelatin blocks, thru both 1/2" drywall panels, thru the 2L of red water and into the berm.

In other words.. if you defend with FMJ, expect to be shooting people BEHIND the bad guy with thru and thru shots unless you hit something like the pelvis MAYBEE!

The HCD was a completely different story.

thru clothes, thru ribs ( not between, but thru.. splintering them ), and then into, but not out of the Gell. the .380 traveled 2/3's thru the skinnybadguy blocks, and about half way thru the fatbadguy blocks. 45 ACP made it to 3/4 of the skinny, and over half of the fat blocks.

The HCD retained their red plugs, didn't plug with clothing, 1 of the slugs lost a sliver or 2 of gilding metal at rib penetration, but retained 95% weight, the other slugs maintained 100% weight. Slugs opened up quite well.

No HCD exited the gell blocks even at 6" point blank range. Made it close ont he .45acp and skinny badguy block.. came within an inch.. but didn't leave.

My carry guns and home defense guns get HCD if it's made in their caliber.

( By the way.. with the fmj shot thru blocks, before I tossed them, I tested various cast lead loads... hardcast lead didn't mushroom much soft lead did a little better... neither worked as good as the HCD however.. )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    if it was brass rod, it would be brazing rod, not welding rod. welding rod would be steel.
    Sorry, not a welder. Just haul tons of welding equipment up and down the highway every day. Been at it 18+ yrs. Thanks for the lesson.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Local farmer learned a group of young folks that I might or might not have been with about raiding the melon patch using rock salt.

I would swear he must have grown that rock salt on a string like rock candy so it was a nice big chunk. From barn to patch he could get penetration on bare skin but nothing as bad as a skinned knee or elbow as far as "wound" went. Of course what happened in a fellows pants was a might embarrassing for a couple of fellows so in future general discussion of "you wanna....?" they were always a no vote for anything involving that farm. Not that anyone was real interested in pushing it after that as I recall.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

At gun shows every so often I see boxes of Viet Nam war era flechettes for sale. Fairly cheap too. Kind of rusting or corroding a bit now but still with the little fins on the back. Never had any interest. If I'm feeling that anti social I guess I would just use a slug or large shot.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Thanks Roger. Pretty much what I've heard, used as a warning shot. No good for (4 legged) pests.
    young folks that I might or might not have been with
    I like that disclaimer!
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    Been saving spent primers for years. Would surely ruin snakes in 45colt or 44mag pistol shot loads. Anyone actually done this? Just curious, otherwise I just recycle old shot (mostly 8s). Lots of fun and not overly loud.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast