Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Junk Yard Dog Loads

Boolit Master

Junk Yard Dog Loads

Back in the 1980s their was a home made load call the junk yard dog loads. What it was instead of using lead shot you used wire cut to size. In the 44 special in a shot capsules i used cut down coat hanger. At 20 feet most of them would shot thru half inch plywood and the damage they did. Nothing meaner than a junk yard dog

Never heard of that one but I don't run steel cases in chambers much AK's is about it and wouldn't run steel wire down the bore of anything at firing velocity. Even at slow speeds I prefer a bronze brush to clean.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Never heard of that one but I don't run steel cases in chambers much AK's is about it and wouldn't run steel wire down the bore of anything at firing velocity. Even at slow speeds I prefer a bronze brush to clean.
    you use plastic shot capsules they protect the bore till they leave the barrel.

I've used a 3/8" punch to cut some lead sheet into discs. Run a stack through a .358" lube sizer making a wad cutter out of them. I had to add a few at a time until I had a stack. The lube holds them together until shot. Sounds like angry Bees going down range.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    I've used a 3/8" punch to cut some lead sheet into discs. Run a stack through a .358" lube sizer making a wad cutter out of them. I had to add a few at a time until I had a stack. The lube holds them together until shot. Sounds like angry Bees going down range.
    How far are they good for? Also what you use them on ? thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
    you use plastic shot capsules they protect the bore till they leave the barrel.

They might, ever broke one? I have and upon impact they break into tiny little pieces. I imagine a cup wad would have a much better chance of protecting the bore as it remains one piece and doesn't open up until after it clears the muzzle.

If they remained a cylinder until out of the muzzle, shot patterns from pistols would be satisfactory beyond 15 ft.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting in a way. Maybe a spin off of the flechette loads the military had in the 60s. Wire iis a pretty generic term as to size and alloy or material as is clothes hangers. I would have a hard time running steel anything down my barrels also. I to agree a shot cup would offer more protection than the shot capsules do they are brittler plastic. I'm not sure they will perform that much better distance wise due to rifling and rotation spinning them apart.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    I like this idea and have a bunch of lead sheet. Might have to give this a try.

I made up some of the Junk Yard Dog loads back from article in magazine. I don't remember the
    author but I used lead solder cut to length and stacked in Speer capsule like pencil lead. They
    had plenty of power but lousy pattern.

I have also done the stacked slugs. We call them disco loads, because they go dis way & dat way.
    If you think they buzz out of handgun, try loading a 12g with them!

Not much practical use for any of the above.

Boolit Master
    That were i got the story from a old magazine. As i recall the idea was a close range self protection load. The idea was to pull and shoot with no time to aim. The wire would tumble in the target cause a larger wound then bird shot. Went i compare bird shot to wire on plywood the wire was the winner.

Banned
    I use brass brads

Boolit Master
    Wonder if anyone has ever developed a boolit that whistles (screams) as it goes downrange.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

This was passed on by Dean Grennell many years ago. Several years ago I put a few together - just to see what I could see. I used some welding rod (brass I think - can't really remember).

Attachment 199721

I fired them through a Charter Bulldog .44 spl.

Attachment 199722

and tested 'em on a tater at about 10 ft. or so.

Attachment 199723

they're a pain to put together, but I suppose they'd do the job they're intended for (whatever that is).
    Last edited by mac60; 07-24-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Talk about a nightmare court case with loads like that. You may stop the treat but you'll loose the civil lawsuit and probably be criminally prosecuted as well. I'm OK with cast loads as self defense as well loads that mimic self defense shot loads or combination loads that are commercial. Using a load like that for self defense is going to cost a lot to defend. JMO, Jay

Boolit Buddy
    I saw a load once that used pin bearings out of some automotive wheel assembly -- that did require the use of a plastic cup to protect the barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Wonder if anyone has ever developed a boolit that whistles (screams) as it goes downrange.
    Once by accident - I loaded a 405gr. Lee RNFP bullet that had a gouge in it and when I fired it it buzzed loudly and was not very accurate. Still sounded neat going downrange.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I made some from wire solder too. I believe cruel & unusual comes to mind. I've killed my share of wild dogs; at close range a shotgun with #6 or larger tells. Across the pasture the 22-250 works perfectly.

Boolit Master
    I played around with that idea years ago and decided it was more of a last-ditch option than a viable alternative anything else on the shelf. Interesting results and good to know what you can if have to but it was too time-consuming to load them and the results were unpredictable.
    On the other hand it was a fun project.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    the brass brad loads make mincemeat out of snakes

Boolit Master

There was an old .45 ACP load for the Thompson SMG way back when made from thin lead washers. As I recall it took a special magazine but imagine turning that thing loose on a mob? Different caliber, same principle./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast