MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Weaver Scope repair

Boolit Bub

Weaver Scope repair

My 6x Weaver Microtrak needs attention I googled scope repairs found a few sights still do "vintage" scope work. Has anyone here had any experience with this situation, and would be willing to share a recommendation. I found IronSight Inc and L&K services have great websites.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    Iron Sight used to charge a flat $75 fee for even the most minor repair and the lead time was 14 to 16 months. I passed on them due to the long lead time.

L&K wanted something like $150 to completely rebuild my Redfield 12X fixed scope though the only thing it needed was the inside of the objective cleaned. He declined to do only the work I needed. He said that "it wasn't worth it to do piece work". I do not know what he meant by that but my scope is not really worth spending $150 on when I can buy a scope with a lifetime warranty for not a lot more. The L&K warranty on their web site is only 30 days.
    So I passed on L&K. He did say he would buy my scope. I just ignored him after that. If he cannot offer what a customer wants he cannot have my business.

I still have his email and I cannot see any way to recommend his business.
    Last edited by EDG; 07-13-2017 at 01:35 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    EDG, thanks for the reply, it sound like I am in a similar predicament. Throwing money into an old scope or opting for a new warranteed' one. Guess I will make contact with Iron Sight and try to "kick the tires" with him on my situation.

The thing L&K is avoiding is not doing a complete job on a scope, that you have to completely disassemble to do the minor fix anyway. It's the same amount of work to do either.

Also he turns stuff around fast. Mine was gone for a total of 7 days.

The other outfit quoted a year and a half! He was nuts!!! I talked to him and he only hires retired people who will work for piece work and he only pays them $15 per job. This only works out in your favor on the simplest of jobs because to completely disassemble and reassemble most scopes is a 2 hour job. If there is something simple it takes less, but if it is something else wrong that takes you longer it's on your dime and you end up making less than $5 per hour. Needless to say most of his employees don't last that long. The guy is an idiot!

The problem with getting any scope rebuilt is you can probably buy something new for less. I had a pristine Weaver K2.5 with delaminated lenses. I wanted this scope as it was made in the 60's and the exterior was nearly perfect. It will go on my 1958 Marlin 336 when I finish putting it together. A new scope would not look right on that gun or I would have bought a new one. I had nothing in this scope so now I am into it $150. Not bad for a New/Old Steel Weaver K2.5 that is now perfect.

L&K is one of those guys who does things the way he does them, and he does good work. But it only is worth it in certain cases. I am similar in nature. I see nothing wrong with this attitude as long as the majority of your customers are satisfied with your work. If they aren't then maybe you're an <Language> hole. (Thanks Charles)

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

In Remembrance

A U.S.A. made steel tube Weaver 2.5X w/fine cross hairs and slight scratches on the tube from the mounts and a set of med. high scope mounts and was clear to look thru - though age was unknown - recently sold for $48 on a local on line auction.Robert

Boolit Master
    He should learn to quote the work needed. Otherwise I don't care if he goes broke.

My scope only needs the objective lens removed and cleaned on the inside. Probably would take less than 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The thing L&K is avoiding is not doing a complete job on a scope, that you have to completely disassemble to do the minor fix anyway. It's the same amount of work to do either.

Also he turns stuff around fast. Mine was gone for a total of 7 days.

The other outfit quoted a year and a half! He was nuts!!! I talked to him and he only hires retired people who will work for piece work and he only pays them $15 per job. This only works out in your favor on the simplest of jobs because to completely disassemble and reassemble most scopes is a 2 hour job. If there is something simple it takes less, but if it is something else wrong that takes you longer it's on your dime and you end up making less than $5 per hour. Needless to say most of his employees don't last that long. The guy is an idiot!

The problem with getting any scope rebuilt is you can probably buy something new for less. I had a pristine Weaver K2.5 with delaminated lenses. I wanted this scope as it was made in the 60's and the exterior was nearly perfect. It will go on my 1958 Marlin 336 when I finish putting it together. A new scope would not look right on that gun or I would have bought a new one. I had nothing in this scope so now I am into it $150. Not bad for a New/Old Steel Weaver K2.5 that is now perfect.

L&K is one of those guys who does things the way he does them, and he does good work. But it only is worth it in certain cases. I am similar in nature. I see nothing wrong with this attitude as long as the majority of your customers are satisfied with your work. If they aren't then maybe you're an <Language> hole. (Thanks Charles)

Randy
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    Here's a very vague reply but it may help?
    Back in the day I used steel Weavers quite a bit and had to have some repaired. The first place I sent them to were ex-Weaver employees located in Los Angeles, Cal. and the second place was in Miami, Fla. after, I think, the first place gave up or retired.
    I know for a fact that steel Weavers are very difficult to work on without the experience/correct tools as an extremely efficient repair shop in UK, who can handle most everything and I have used many times for other makes, would never touch them due to cost and lead time.
    I'm really sorry I don't still have the contact details but best of luck with the repair.

Banned
    I love my many steel tube Weavers. Most basic stuff I do myself. Inerior cleaning is not that hard. Crosshairs can be replaced if you get the right fine wire. Delaminated lenses are a dead end. All that said, now that TK Lee is shut down, trying to find a repair and the endless lead times make repairs outside your workshop a dead end.

You can buy any number of decent (as good as the old Weavers) Chinese made scopes on Ebay for <$100. Would I take one on Safari ? No. Have I ever had one fog up, fall apart or break a CH ? No.

Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I found out about L&K a number of years ago from buying 3 refurbished scopes off Ebay. The scopes are real classics and have marks from normal handling which gives them the right look on my type of gun. They all are very clear. I will gladly give L&K work for a classic repaired rather than buy new with a limited warrenty, and yes I love the Leuopold rifleman series but sometimes must have that old classic look.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Bub

Weaver Scope Repair

Well, after talking to Iron Sight I can confirm that turn around for a Weaver is 12 to 14 months, other brands can be done sooner but Weavers are a different cat for some reason. I tried to condense a lot of the info posted here and decided to pull the trigger on a new Leupold their VX 2 6-18 is on sale at Optics Planet. I hate to see my Weaver sitting there doing nothing but to me Leupold has the best customer service ever and their quality is exceptional.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I tried to condense a lot of the info posted here and decided to pull the trigger on a new Leupold their VX 2 6-18 is on sale at Optics Planet.
    Took a lot of coaxing but smart move. Learned a long time ago - one can pump more money into a project than the object is worth ... aka bring project rifles back to life
    Regards
    John