MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Another levergun on the way.

Another levergun on the way.

My 1892's restrict me to only certain shooting categories in Single Action shooting, so for some time I figured I'd need an "earlier" rifle. Most here in Oz seem to use Uberti 1873's (presumably because they can be short-stroked - something I don't agree with, by the way). Two Uberti 1866 Yellowboys came up on the used market the other day, one in .44-40, with dies and spare cases, and one in .38 special. My other levers are all .44-40, so I don't need the dies but could use the spare cases (expensive down here). On the other hand, I have hundreds of .38 cases as that is my pistol calibre. Decisions decisions.
    Next time I looked the .44-40 had gone (which surprised me, I didn't think they were that popular here), so I rang about the .38. The guy had bought it but never used it, just put it in the safe still in its factory wrapping. So I knocked him down a wee bit and it's on its way! It's the sporting rifle version, and while the carbine would have been nice I'm pretty stoked about it. They are one beautiful rifle! Now I just have to wait for the Permit to Acquire paperwork from the Police.

On a different note, one of my 1892's is an octagon barrelled rifle (long barrel) but only has a 5-shot mag, which makes it useless for S.A. shooting. The 1894 has a 10-shot mag but is also useless because it suffers from the well-known inability to fast-cycle pistol ammo. So, in a stroke of genius I ordered the necessary bits to swap the magazines over! Of course, this was arranged before I bought the 1866, so in reality I'm not likely to use the converted 1892 now.

Unfortunately I now have to buy yet another gun safe as there's no room for the new rifle in the existing safes!!

Boolit Master
    A wonderful problem!

Too many guns for a few safes is better than too many safes for a few guns.

Boolit Master
    I really like the idea of a 38spl rifle. I keep getting sidetracked and buy something else. I think the Uberti and a copy of a Colt lightning by some cowboy action company are the only 38spl rifles avalible.

Let us know how it shoots. We nee pics also.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Glad to hear it! Keep flying the flag for lever actions down there.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I heard yesterday that it's on its way to the dealer, who'll hold it until the paperwork comes through (anybody's guess how long that will take!!). Also got a call from another dealer who said he knew someone with a 66 for sale, .44-40, in very good condition and only wants $1000. I told him his timing was bad, if he'd called earlier I would have grabbed that one instead. Still, it will be nice to have a .38 lever to add to my "collection".

I repaired a 66 yellow boy .38 special for a buddy that was into CAS. It had a feeding problem that was easily fixed and while testing it I noticed the accuracy was surprising. SO I kept it a few more days(testing!) and fired 100 rounds through it. I didn't have the cash or trading material to get it from him dang it. It also had beautiful walnut on it to boot. I think you will enjoy yours.
    Best, Thomas.

Thanks Thomas, I'm sure I will. I've been doing a bit of reading and when I get it I'll strip it and clean/polish the innards and mod the two springs at the bottom of the receiver to lighten the lever and that's it! It'll never be as fast as a short-stroked rifle but I reckon it'll be plenty fast enough for me.