Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: 00 Buckshot go 20ga

Boolit Mold

00 Buckshot go 20ga

Does anyone load 00 buckshot for 20ga? I have been searching and all I find are loads ranging from #4 - #1. I know that you can't get that many pellets in the wad but I am curios. I have found several loads for slugs for the 20 ga. and have estimated a load comparable in weight to the slug. Having said that, best practice is to "never substitute components". Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't even like OO in my 2 3/4 12 ga rounds. 3 out of every 5 loaded had an issue of some sort from poor crimps to bulges in the side wall.

I have loaded at least 200 rounds of #1 buckshot, 3 stacks of 3, which self stacks 9 out of 10. Looks like factory ammo without the logo on the hull. Tight crimps, and easy.

On top of that my 00 mold is a cranky ol female dog. Which takes half a pot of lead to warm up to where I have any useable from it. (Sharpshooter combo mold, 00 & #4)
    Where my Sharpshooter #1 mold has a serious work ethic. That thing lives to make buckshot, and it shows. By the second pour I have at least 2/3rds filled and by the 3rd it is only one here and there that does not fill correctly.

Buckshot rains out of that mold.

So I mostly load light tactical buckshot, label and box them up. And call myself lucky that I can do so. Mostly loading new Rio hulls bought from BPI at 9 cents a hull, a very reasonable TP 1215 wad, and a little over 20 grains of Red Dot. Ohh and those Rio hulls are primed.

They feed slick as can be through my Rem 870 Wingmaster, and plunk into an H&R single shot just like they ought to.

YMMV, but me I'll stick with the .30 caliber #1's. Big enough for me.

If you wanted to try #1 you can get a 2 cavity .310 round ball mold from Titan for around $20 or a 6 cavity one from I think Track of the Wolf. Neither one would be high volume production but if you just wanted to check it out it is certainly not too expensive. I recall reading #1 was very solid performer in terms of penetration and spread. Self defense, household ranges it would be like doing a mag dump from a little .32 auto but all hitting at once. Then you fire the second round. Ouch accomplished. And #4 is around .25 so... same only a bit less so.

For what it is worth I can easily cast a few hundred round ball in a couple of hours or so in a two cavity so a box of shells with 9 each is 225 and that wouldn't take all that long.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

My Home defense shotgun is a 20ga Winchester 1200 that uses #2 Buck. I sure wouldn't want to get hit by it...

Boolit Master

00 a no-go in 20 ga. This is the best I've found in both.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-310-buck-mold
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I've hand loaded #2 and #3 with satisfying results on paper . I bought some Euro #1 buck and while it'll do in a pinch the results were not as good as my smaller size hand loads .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines