Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another pewter question. ...is it or isn't it? Give us our daily bread plate x2

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Another pewter question. ...is it or isn't it? Give us our daily bread plate x2

I found this one yesterday and thought that RWP was pewter....untill after I read it was spose to be a combination of 10 metals. Well, I picked up a RWP bowl as well and should have known better when it said safe foe eating on it.

Here is the new, darker plate compaired to my shiny one.

The question is could the oxidized one be pewter? If not another $1.99 down the toilet.lol

It dose scratch easily.

Attachment 199553Attachment 199554

The one in questionis the larger, darker plate. This is the back side...

Attachment 199555

Boolit Master
    From the Wilton Armetale website FAQ. What metals are used ? Answer: Wilton Armetale is a Metal mixture of over 10 different metals with the primary metal being Aluminum.

Boolit Grand Master

Wilton Armetale is an aluminum alloy , not pewter.
    Sorry about that but it is safe to cook and serve in it. The larger one would be nice to serve hot bread in at a holiday meal ..they are nice looking ...give it to the wife !
    Not a total loss.
    Strange that the smaller one isn't marked , looks exactly like the larger one. The smaller one appears to be aluminum also .
    I wonder if it's just aluminum and not the "armetale " alloy .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

In Remembrance
    You should be able to easily bend a pewter piece with your hands.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Aluminum can get dark stains and oxidizes. Scratch test works on soft lead, not pewter. RWP is Real Wilton Pewter, not real pewter.

Boolit Master

You do realize, if you buy a third one of those plates, we're all going to laugh at you....

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    You do realize, if you buy a third one of those plates, we're all going to laugh at you....
    Lol...if it says real pewter and it's a nickel I'm not buying it.

Don't feel to bad. I have one of those also. The nice thing is that I use it while casting to catch the sprue when I knock them off.

Banned
    OK, he has one for catching sprue and one for holding the sponge to water quench, in my book ... no money lost
    If it doesn't say pewter or doesn't bend or is German and doesn't say ZINN, proceed at your own risk

Boolit Master
    He can always have 2 hobbies.

It's been a week now since my first ever pewter hunt. I've bought enough stuff that was iffy and will not buy anything that definitely dose not say pewter. My few items that aren't pewter are being donated back. Most of them my family wanted. Probably $15 worth of non pewter stuff and close to 7lbs of pewter found. I paid approx total of $19 for the pewter. A weeks crash course and a fun learning experience. Thanks for your guys help. Ive learned in the short period of time now not to show and tell my pewter. For some reason my family thinks melting it is like putting a pet down.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-13-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I quit showing SWMBO my pewter purchases. Too many of them are in her gew-gaw cabinet.

Boolit Master
    Pewter always looks good as a puddle and flying downrange.

Boolit Master
    The best I can tell you is take a low temp touch to it. If pewter it should melt quickly. If it's aluminum not so much.
    Scrap in my area is getting about .30-.50/# depending on amount and type. So if your going to keep buying these you need to do some negotiating on prices.

In the end if you don't see a pewter stamp it most likely is not.

I'm going to qualify mac1911's comment just a bit.
    If you don't see a stamped hallmark saying pewter, and it isn't ancient European metalware, skip it.

By the way, there is or was a business, named Pewtermetal. It cost me $3.00 to find out they don't sell things made of pewter.

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    In the end if you don't see a pewter stamp it most likely is not.

Today I Learned That I know less than I Thought.
    Tommorow will be the same, I'm Sure!!

I went to Iowa today and cleaned house on pewter today at three thrift shops. My best score was a duck box for $4. I'm guessing it's around 2lbs. I picked up a vase, a creamer type cup, a heavy flask that was over a 1.5lbs, two candle stick holders, a bowl, and some other stuff. I took sis along and she ended up with two of my large pewter pictures with the old style square handles....ill post pics later
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-14-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Tink the pewter against something metal. You can even take your knife and tap it. If it rings at all, it's not Pewter. Pewter will have a dull thud.

Beware of the heavy, thick knick knacks that have brass inlays. They look darker than normal, because they are mostly lead.

I have found so much Pewter, that I've stopped looking. I've probably have 60 lbs of it in the shed, and only use a little bit at a time. I cast mine into 230 grain .45's, without using the sprew plate, and drop a few in, if I need them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter haul.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	199698

I have found only a few items not marked that were Pewter.

Boolit Master
    2% of a ton of lead is 40lbs of pewter.

Quote Originally Posted by PBaholic View Post
    Tink the pewter against something metal. You can even take your knife and tap it. If it rings at all, it's not Pewter. Pewter will have a dull thud.

Beware of the heavy, thick knick knacks that have brass inlays. They look darker than normal, because they are mostly lead.

I have found so much Pewter, that I've stopped looking. I've probably have 60 lbs of it in the shed, and only use a little bit at a time. I cast mine into 230 grain .45's, without using the sprew plate, and drop a few in, if I need them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pewter haul.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	199698

I have found only a few items not marked that were Pewter.
    I picked up two of the same candle stick holders yesterday. The duck I picked up has brass inlays. How little amount of pewter content dose it have? for $4 I'll just keep it if it's mostly lead or resell it. Looks like they go for about $20 on line. I see there are three sizes available and this one looks like the biggest option. It's pretty cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast