Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: 84m kimber?

Banned

84m kimber?

i'm thinking about having a 257 roberts in a 98 mauser(or variant). but JSH said said i could go the kimber route(about the same amount of money, jsh says "That kind of money I would look at a Cooper or a Kimber. Kind of a mass produced semi custom. ") so i looked it up here on the internet( http://www.kimberamerica.com/classic-select-grade ) and found i could really like a kimber. except for the barrel, i guess i'm just prejudiced that it is a sporter weight. i had a rem mountian rifle(30-06, back in the early '90s) that just refused everything i gave it. i did every kind of powder and every kind of bullet but it still did 3" at 100yards(3 shots). it did do well on rem 180gr rn factory bullets(1 1/2" at 100 yards(3 shots). but it hated my handloads.

oh, i almost forgot, i do have a rem m7 in 7-08 that goes 1/2 - 3/4" at 100yards(3 or 5 shots). i have not shot my m7 for 8 or 9 years now. but other than that, i like a barrel that go .8+/- at the muzzle. and it has to have wood or a laminate.

guys that i know don't know nuthin about a 84m kimber, so i was wondering, does anyone have a kimber rifle? how does it shoot?

thanks!!!

Boolit Master

I have a 700 mountain rifle in 7mm08. It is a tack driver. Remember, your new rifle will have a .257 hole in the middle instead of a .308.

Boolit Master

You should also take a look at Montana Rifle Company: http://montanarifleco.com/
    As far as building a "custom" sporter, the last two times I did it myself I wound up spending as much as a Kimber or Montana, and I didn't get a warranty when I was done. I'm not going to do it again (unless I have to! )

A friend has a Kimber .257 in walnut (gorgeous) and a Kimber .308 with a greenish plastic stock(not pretty) they both have light barrels but shoot little 3 shot groups beforethe barrel heats up. He has heavy long range rigs but seems to grab that 6.5# .308 to hunt with a lot. Killed a very nice 10 point at 375 yards with it last season.
    I think you'll be happy with a Kimber.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I think the coopers, kimbers and other semi custom rifles are going to perform more to your liking for several reasons. They use a better barrel blank usually, fitting and bedding are done much better, triggers seem much cleaner and crisper. The other plus is with in reason you can get exactly what you want in the rifle. Ive always wanted a Dakota.

Banned
    376steyr, i forgot about montana rifles!!! they do it left handed too!!! i sent an email to them and i asked just what does your rifle weigh?

i like kimbers rifle but i don't like its weight. if i was going up a mountain(rocky mountains) i would say can't you make it lighter? but i'm stuck here in the hills of swPA, so i don't mind if a rifle weighs a couple of pounds more. heck, it don't matter what it weighs, i'm handi-capable!!!

plus i'm assuming(i am a donkey, i'm uming again) that the rifle will be a sub-minute at 100 yards(3 shots). i figure that as long as goes, 1 1/2"at 100 yards(3 shots) will be fine. a 300-325 yard shot will be maximum from the 257 bob and the deer's lungs. i know the 257 can do alot more, but i'm firm on the distance.
    Last edited by tdoyka; 07-12-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Banned
    i forgot about e.r. shaw rifle. so i'm waiting for quote from him.

I own a Kimber mountain rifle in 308, and it is one of my favorite carry/stalk rifles.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    i got an email....
    our order is for a left handed rifle. This image is shown only as a reference.

Mk. VII Online Gun Builder Submission

Thanks for your interest in the ER Shaw Mk VII rifle. The average turnaround time on Mk VII builds is in the 12 to 14 month area. We require a 50% deposit to submit the order for manufacturing. The balance can be paid upon completion of the rifle. Upon completion we will need a FFL dealer in your home area to send in a copy of their license so we can ship your rifle out to them.
    Standard features include:

Glass and pillar bedded actions with fully free floated barrels.
    Checkered stocks with Pachmayr recoil pads
    Savage AccuTrigger™
    Three position safety
    Precision button rifled barrels
    .250” Heavy duty recoil lugs
    Drilled and tapped for Savage round receiver scope bases
    Timney™ triggers and Warne™ bases available upon request
    This is just a quote and all orders are taken over the phone. The office is open from 8:00am until 4:00pm Monday through Friday EST and can be reached at 412-221-3636. For additional questions and inquiries call or email us at customrifle@ershawbarrels.com.

Thanks again for your interest,

ER Shaw Custom Barrels/Custom Rifles
    5312 Thoms Run Road
    Bridgeville, PA 15017
    Phone: 412-221-3636
    Fax: 412-221-4303
    Office Hours: 8am-4pm M-F EST
    www.ershawbarrels.com

Date of Submission: 07/13/17

Contact Information

Ordering Instructions:
    timney trigger contour 3 varmint weight
    Mk. VII Information

Caliber: .257 ROBERTS ($0)
    Receiver: Chrome Moly - Polished - Left Handed ($490)
    Left Handed Charge ($20)
    Barrel: Chrome Moly - No Fluting - Polished ($250)
    Barrel Options: - 23" Length - Varmint
    Stainless Steel/Chrome Moly Barrel/Receiver Combination Charge ($0)
    Stock: Checkered Walnut Wood Stock ($180)
    Shipping ($37)
    Order Total: $977.00

Prices subject to change and correction.

I like ER Shaw barrels- I'll bet their rifles are nice, too. Maybe not Kimber nice though........

Banned
    i'm still deciding if i should buy a rifle complete or should i buy a 98 mauser and go from there.

i'm waiting on montana rifles to email me on theirs.

Get one of the Zastava 98 Mausers that CDNN is selling and rebarrel it. The 06 mag box would give you room to seat out the bullets if throated for it.
    Just an idea that popped up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Banned
    its a thought!

While you don't usually turn to Kimber for heavier rifles, they do have some among their varmint and tacticool offerings.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Banned
    does anyone have a montana asr( http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=149 )? i was wondering how much they weigh?