Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Calls

Boolit Buddy

Coyote Calls

Would like to call some coyotes this fall and winter. Don't have a big budget for the $300-$500 FoxPro calls. Any other good calls out there that are lower priced? Or would you just use a hand call?

Boolit Master
    This may sound stupid but you can buy a 5hr 1,100w 12v rechargeable blue tooth speaker for $70 and download coyote calls onto a phone or MP3 player for free & tie a feather to a stick and you have movement. A little camo paint and your all set.

I recently bought a Primos Alpha Dogg call and Sit 'n Spin motion decoy. For right at $200 out the door.

Worked like a champ the 2x I've tried it. Waiting for it to cool off or I'd still be at it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with the Alpha Dog its a great caller
    used it this past winter No problems great remote
    I also use hand call along with it
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Used a hand call for years. Just recently found some websites with some calls on it. Downloaded them and listened to them. Be ready next fall & winter will be ready with some new calls and some howlers.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Had a convertacaller hooked to a discman and then a MP3 player. I pirated sounds off the net that worked for years till I bought a fox pro.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-12-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    So those of you that kindly answered my post.......did you get shots and were you "lucky"? If so, how far away was your shot?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes I called them in and shot em
    with the Alpha Dog
    had a big male come flying into the call
    killed him @ 25 yds with a 220 swift
    hunting in the valleys near Lacrosse
    called a few more but they spotted me before I saw them
    they got away
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    So those of you that kindly answered my post.......did you get shots and were you "lucky"? If so, how far away was your shot?
    Called in coyotes both times. The first time 2 coyotes were on their way in from 300+ yds out, but I was using 'fawn in distress, and 2 HIGHLY aggitated does came in from under 50 yds to right on top of the motion decoy. Cototes were intimidated and reversed course.
    Second time, coyote entered the field about 15 yds from me. Had to wait until it was about 50 yds from me and put it down with my .223. There were more, but the first was nearly on top of the motion decoy and I thought he'd exit at a high rate of speed once he got a good wiff of it.
    Lesson learned on the 'fawn in distress', not a good idea in early spring.

Called some coyotes from around Correctionville Iowa. They came in from about 25Yds. to 200. When moved to South Dakota have called them in from 50 to about 300 yards. Got some my buddies got some and missed some. Had fun. Almost as much fun as prairie dog shooting, as a matter of fact called some coyotes in after dog shooting when it gets close to dark.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I don't have a lot of experience with the new digital callers. Years ago I bought my first mini blaster from Burnum bros. I couldn't even guess at the number of coyotes and bobcats I've killed with it. I think the closest one I killed was 7 yds although I've had them closer than that. A few at 200 or beyond but by far the biggest majority at 25/35 yds.

The reeds go bad on these callers pretty regular but their pretty cheap. I think the callers are about $12 and the reeds are about $2. I usually buy 5 reeds in the fall and that will get me through. Sometimes I make it 2 years on 5 reeds. I suspect if I would wash the tobacco juice out after every hunt they might hold up better.

Just google Burnum Bros and look for the ( mini blaster ) Just call soft 3 or 4 squeaks every 5 min or so. Be ready to shoot, sometimes the action will get western.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    I too use the primos call and so far I have only seen them from a distance. No shots as of yet. It's my fault and not the calls.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Called in coyotes both times. The first time 2 coyotes were on their way in from 300+ yds out, but I was using 'fawn in distress, and 2 HIGHLY aggitated does came in from under 50 yds to right on top of the motion decoy. Cototes were intimidated and reversed course.
    Second time, coyote entered the field about 15 yds from me. Had to wait until it was about 50 yds from me and put it down with my .223. There were more, but the first was nearly on top of the motion decoy and I thought he'd exit at a high rate of speed once he got a good wiff of it.
    Lesson learned on the 'fawn in distress', not a good idea in early spring.
    Years ago I had a Fawn in distress tape for an old Lohman caller. There's nothing chicken about an old momma doe in the spring.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

I've shot about 4-5 dozen coyotes with mine, 3 bobcat, called in 2 javalina, and one mountain lion. I have had them walk up right to the speaker. Helps to use a motion decoy to keep their attention away from me and the caller. Liked it better than my fox pro but the cords kept getting shorts in it from tangling up all the time. There was a dial on the box I could turn up and down manually for the sound instead of up and down push buttons that sometime don't get clear reception when your trying to adjust it on the foxpro if your caller is sitting below something like a log or sand ditch

Boolit Grand Master
    Tripple where in Wisconsin are you from
    I am from the Sun Prairie area
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I bought one of those "low end" Primo's digital calls a couple years back for under $70. The speaker seems a little weak for long range calling but it certainly has brought in the coyotes and even a mountain lion once both using the fawn distress recording. I have mouth calls for longer range work but around here, sound doesn't carry that far anyway. I had three coyotes come in at once on one occasion. No bears yet but season starts in two weeks. And yes I did get shots with my 30/30 using 130 plain base boolits from a Lyman mold at an MV of 1300 fps. at less than 75 yards (my Mossberg 464 lever really likes that boolit but coyotes don't). A bear, of course, will require a boolit with a little more "oomph".
    No problems with it so far.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 07-15-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Are there any Predator hunting-calling forums left? There was one about a year ago, but I think they disbanded.

Are there any Predator hunting-calling forums left? There was one about a year ago, but I think they disbanded.
    Predatormasters.com

Boolit Master
    Check out Carver Predator calls. These are some of the best hand made calls you can buy and they dont break the bank!
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    Look for the "Strictly Business" set
    "In GOD We Trust"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast