Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: How old is "Vintage"...

Boolit Master

How old is "Vintage"...

is 1960's era ammunition old enough to qualify?

I have a box each of the following:

1963 Lake City 7.62 MM Match 173gr fmj Velocity 2550
    1965 Frankford Arsenal "

several boxes of Winchester Western Super X 180gr (silvertips) yellow box with labels on each end flap sealing the box that say S.A.A.M.I. Reference Ammunition.

Banned
    Vintage is the favorite term everyone users to describe something older than last week.
    Go to eBay and enter "vintage" in search. You will see what I mean.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Vintage is the favorite term everyone users to describe something older than last week.
    Go to eBay and enter "vintage" in search. You will see what I mean.

Ken
    Yep, and in layman's terms it means a piece of junk they want to sell for a lot of money.

Boolit Master
    The original meaning of the word had to due with the age of wine. But our language allowed it to cross over to just about any object. Probably to make them (object and owner) appear sophisticated.

To me a true vintage item is 50 -99 years in which it becomes an antique at 100 years. However, as Ken has stated, the term is vastly abused and misused.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    I have some 30/06 ammo that was loaded in 1965 or earlier. Does this qualify as vintage ammo? Know it was 1965 because that was when I moved to Cal and uncle stop loading for my 03A3.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    The original meaning of the word had to due with the age of wine. But our language allowed it to cross over to just about any object. Probably to make them (object and owner) appear sophisticated.

To me a true vintage item is 50 -99 years in which it becomes an antique at 100 years. However, as Ken has stated, the term is vastly abused and misused.
    That makes me well into vintage.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    I have some 30/06 ammo that was loaded in 1965 or earlier. Does this qualify as vintage ammo? Know it was 1965 because that was when I moved to Cal and uncle stop loading for my 03A3.
    Vintage for sure! It's 52 years old.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Anything that has vintage in the description is worth more money! all my stuff is vintage including me.lol

Don't forget "venerable" when writing about any older firearm. "A little history about the venerable 1911...."

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    .................along with "relic", "hard to find", "rare", "sought after" and every other adjective or buzzword phrase that Ebay sellers can come up with. I love it when something is described as "vintage" and I've got six of them in a box. I've offered to sell them to the sellers at a discount but they never respond. Why not? After all, they're "vintage".......

Seems in the last few years that there are no more bargains or surprises on Ebay either. Everything starts at $9.95 with a glowing description, and retail sellers have become the norm. I really miss the days when it operated like a big garage sale and real treasures showed up on a regular basis.......

I prefer the term classic, I have a John Deere 60 that I keep my 92 year old mother's driveway clear of snow in the winter that was built the year I was born. Other people have referred to it as an antique. By extension then I must be and antique. NO. I may be an old geezer but I am not an antique. Classic yes, antique, not until I see the grass from the brown side!

Boolit Master

Don't forget the auctioneer hype also of "period" All hype it seems that many buy into.

Boolit Master
    Patina or rust, just depends what side of the table you're on.

It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I'll be showing up more now that I'm kinda retired (still run my one man gunsmithing business). How does one go about selling "vintage/antique" ammo? I have a bunch that was given to me, no boxes, just a cardboard box of loose ammo. I sorted it and put it into plastic boxes but when I try to sell it, lookers won't buy unless it's in original boxes. Maybe I should just shoot it but I know there are collectors out there that actually might want the ammo itself. I don't want to get into trouble with the mods so I won't give details that might lead someone to think I am trying to sell outside the for sale area, but just wondering sell or shoot?
    Last edited by Xringshooter; 08-02-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor