MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broke my Lee Classic Cast

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Id be willing to bet $10 that press is at least 10 and more likely 20 years old, and has done MANY thousands of rounds, while sitting out in the salt air of O'ahu,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Not really.
    My 1971 press has been subjected to hard use up to splitting of forming dies and nothing on the press has ever failed.
    What is wrong with reevaluating your press when it breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by ukrifleman View Post
    I see the `Lee bashers` are out in force!

I have used a Lee Classic turret press with the same lever system for a number of years and have never had such a problem.

I load 17 calibres with it from .357 to 30-06

I would be surprised if the linkage was cast iron, as it would be too brittle.

You can subject the linkage to a huge amount of torque if you really bear down on the lever.

The amount of force to cause such a failure, would be far more than was needed to correctly F/L size any case that the press could accommodate.

Judging by the state of the press and the fact that the OP has said this isn't the first occasion he has broken this part, In his place I think I would be inclined to revaluate my reloading procedures and how I look after my kit.

ukrifleman
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to support the first response, do you lube your press?

Banned
    LEE http://leeprecision.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1 the part is free with $5.77 shipping

Boolit Master
    I believe there is an individual on the British Militaria Forums that will tell you not to use one of those presses near a restored Corvette.I'll personally stick with my RCBS and Lyman presses.

Boolit Master
    The Lee CC is an excellent press. Opinions are just that. Mechanical things break.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    I did the same thing a few years ago, seems like they sent out a replacement part on their dime. I still use some Lee products, and will likely buy more. Good value for certain items, not worth the hassle for others.

Boolit Grand Master
    Got it when it first came out. No idea when that was.
    Press is outside.
    What looks like corrosion is sawdust.
    I cover it, but sawdust get into everything.
    Sawdust and lube helps keep it from rusting.
    Press was taken apart and lubed with Super Lube when new, and the last time the same part broke.
    Will do the same this time.
    This will actually be the third time changing these parts.
    First time was when it was new, The handle would bind. They did a redesign and sent the new design part.
    Worked fine after new design parts installed.
    Press is used for full length sizing, boolet sizing and forming cases, No loading.
    It's a good press, except for this one weak link..
    The material they use to make the part that broke is called "Sintered metal "http://www.powderedmetalparts.com/sintered-metal-parts/.
    It's powdered metal, formed with heat and pressure, into the shape desired.
    I think if they machined it out of a solid piece of metal, it would be stronger.
    Other than this part, I've never had a problem with it.
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 07-12-2017 at 08:46 PM.

This part looks a lot different than the one on mine. I just oiled all around ,again.

I have two Classic Cast presses that have loaded many (many) rounds without a hitch, both of my Lee's still look like new, regular cleaning and lubing with oil helps keep them operating. If you look at the Lee handle design you will see that the handle actually passes thru a solid steel bushing that mates with the sleeve (broken in your pic), it almost looks like the through linkage bolt was not secured enough to keep the steel bushing and sleeve tight enough to maintain a solid binding effect on the arm.
    Your problem may have also been experienced by others since this part is available now from MidwayUSA

I remember getting to play with new things when I was working in a mold shop, most of the mold builders were scared to death of aluminum, didn't understand how to machine it! I got to play with ASP30, not sure what it came to afterwards, but you could only take .015" a pass with carbide on a Bridgeport, trust me, I tried more, BEFORE heat treatment! I also got to play with sintered endmills, not sure how far they ever got? But they were truer and didn't have the chattering ground endmills had. Wouldn't mind having a few around now honestly.
    Anyway, sintered done right, is rather impressive in my book!

Boolit Grand Master

If machined from bar stock that part would be expensive to make due to the flat spine set up for allowing the handle angle to be adjusted. Bore a steel bushing at the size of the part-.001-.002 size burr both ends turn outside to .1 wall thickness and super glue the part together, this for ease in handling and press into tube / bushing. mill or file in the handle radious and re assemble it. Thesleeve will hold and support it the press fit keeps it together. The sleeve need to go from flush at handle end to slightly below the flat spines depth so they can still engage.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bolt was tight. Nothing loose.
    If I remember correct, both broke in the same way.
    This press has been used hard.
    Form lots of cases.
    Probably not designed to do case forming.
    Still a good press.

Boolit Master
    I don't understand how you can get that much force on a press of that build and not weld brass into every die you own?

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna call B.S. on this one, according to the Lee "experts" on here that press is bulletproof and stronger, more precise, than a Rockchucker or Co-ax, I read it here, so it must be true!!!

Banned
    I broke the same part on mine. It was because I OVER TORQUED the bolt that holds it in. They should put torque specs in the instructions. I put the new one in and did not over torque it and I dare say it will never fail. The part was about $5.

Banned
    There are a lot of people here that love to bad mouth Lee. Most probably never used one. The Lee classic cast is a very good unit at a very good price.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    There are a lot of people here that love to bad mouth Lee. Most probably never used one. The Lee classic cast is a very good unit at a very good price.
    I bet you can guess which members bash the brand every chance they get. It's been pointed out many times before. If Lee wasn't around there would be a lot less reloaders. They allow people to take up the hobby for little investment. Most end up buying other brand equipment over time. If RCBS and Redding where the only manufacturers there would be a lot less reloaders. It's all personal preference. Use what ever brand equipment you want. You won't convince me that a piece of equipment I have and like is junk just because you say it is. I'm betting most people are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I broke the same part on mine. It was because I OVER TORQUED the bolt that holds it in. They should put torque specs in the instructions. I put the new one in and did not over torque it and I dare say it will never fail. The part was about $5.
    That does make sense since the handle would essentially trying to split the part at the center of the "U".

58 years of reloading and never broke a reloading press. 58 years of reloading and never owned but one Lee, which I trashed in short order. A fellow is using it as a trot line weight.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast