WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any other Jeepers here?

Boolit Master

Any other Jeepers here?

I wanted a fun vehicle for the weekends and was going to buy a KLR650 adventure bike, but decided a Jeep would be more flexible and useable more months out of the year.

I thought I could get a pretty nice late 90's or early 2000's Jeep for the price of a new KLR. I was wrong. Jeeps are going for a premium around here. Finally found one that had most of the mods done to it that I wanted and just needed a bunch of little things that I could do myself.

It's older than I wanted but is in pretty nice shape. I've had it less than a week and already have a list of things to do it that will take me all Summer to complete.

It is a blast around town and in the mountains, but on the highway, it is not very forgiving, at all.

I'd post pics, but this site is giving me fits again.

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

Been doin' it for 20 years now and they are the most useful vehicles on earth. You'll be addicted in a very short time, and they go together nicely with guns and the outdoors.

Here's pic of my current project. Built from Scratch CJ-8 Scrambler with Cummins 4BT Diesel.

Attachment 199524

Attachment 199525

Attachment 199526

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    76' cj5 here, 355 sbc, block higher headers, comp cam, dbl hump heads, dbl roller timing chain, 1.7 rockers, Holley 650, Holley street dom intake, accell super coil, 5.5" lift, 33/12.50's. Had it since 95'
    Life is so much better with dogs!

I wish i would have never sold mine to my brother for next to nothing. He needed a vehicle to drive about. Almost got it back sister called and said she wanted to buy it back from brother for her son. needed an engine in it took that off the price. I know it family. Then nephew sold it shortly their after, He was suppose to give me a chance to buy it back from him. I sure wish i never sold the old girl.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I purchased a used 1997 TJ Sport 4.0 auto back in 2007. It came with a hard top and the dealer gave us a deal on a new soft top that was removed from another TJ. We became hooked almost immediately. There is something about those vehicles that just seem to become a part of you. We would ride down the road in it and try to figure out what it was that made them so appealing. They are noisy, ride stiff, rattle a bit and yet are so likeable. We reluctantly traded it and a 2000 Explorer on a new 2010 Unlimited. I used the Explorer for work and basic duties. We thought the Unlimited would provide the best of both worlds: 4 door SUV/Jeep. It did as far as capabilities but it was so much more refined that the TJ and so much different. Missing the TJ, two years later we added a 2000 TJ Sport equipped just as the 1997. Last year we traded the 2010 Unlimited for a new Ram Big Horn 4 dr. with the Hemi. We still have the 2000 TJ and probably will until it falls apart.

Isaac

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned 2 Wranglers (1987,1999) a Comanche and currently drive a 2000 Cherokee. I love Jeeps and have been on the hunt for another Wrangler unlimited (pre 2007).

ADMIN

I owns 2004 unlimited.
    Has around 73000 miles on it.
    Has a body lift and 31s.
    Other then that it's bone stock.

Banned
    Owned a TJ for a while, wished I hadn't sold it. Worked on several Jeeps for friends, wish they had sold theirs

I had use of a CJ for some time. Loved it off road, hated it on road.

The word "Jeep" encompasses a LOT of very different vehicles. As each generation progresses CJ to YJ to TJ to JK they get more civilized and more expensive. I will say the old 258 six and the newer 4.0 liter six were outstanding engines and it was a shame to see that line shut down.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

Been doin' it for 20 years now and they are the most useful vehicles on earth. You'll be addicted in a very short time, and they go together nicely with guns and the outdoors.

Here's pic of my current project. Built from Scratch CJ-8 Scrambler with Cummins 4BT Diesel.

Attachment 199524

Attachment 199525

Attachment 199526

Randy
    AW........why did you have to post that? Now I really want one!

The CJ-8 Scrambler was my all time favorite but they didn't stay on the market very long. They're now almost impossible to obtain without a second mortgage. The 4 cyl Cummins TD conversion is also high on my list of ideal Jeep engine transplants.

I had a Dodge with the old 12 valve turbo Cummins engine. That engine is bullet proof. The 4 cylinder is nearly identical but missing two cylinders (and a couple of hundred pounds !).

NICE !

Boolit Grand Master

Had a 47, 55, 73 and now a 05 Jeep.
    Attachment 199548

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Since 1976 I've had: '70 Bronco, '73 Wagoneer, '46 CJ2A, '70 CJ5, '97 TJ that I kept for 18 years. Did a little bit of everything with and to that TJ, including dropping a 5.7 Hemi in it. Been from the sand at Rocky Point, Mexico to the Rubicon, the Colorado passes, including Black Bear Pass, on many of the trails in Moab, including Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim and the Lion's Back. My wife needed a softer ride due to headaches, so now have a '04 WJ from Europe with a 2.7 CRD diesel.

Sven

Boolit Master
    Got me a 79cj7. 6.5in lift on 35s. Factory 258, manual transmission manual steering manual brakes....it's a tractor lol. It's rides like a tank, stinks of unburnt fuel and I love it. Some day a CSB swap but for now it's still running good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Got me a 79cj7. 6.5in lift on 35s. Factory 258, manual transmission manual steering manual brakes....it's a tractor lol. It's rides like a tank, stinks of unburnt fuel and I love it. Some day a CSB swap but for now it's still running good.
    I would take that straight six 258 over any small block V-8 conversion. IF you wear that one out, put another inline six back in!

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I have a 92 Wrangler S. Body and frame are in great shape and paint is very good. It needs a little TLC but it is my beat around the house vehicle.
    No AC and a 4 Cyl motor sort of sucks but I really enjoy it.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Have had a 1942 Jeep (Ford built), 1990 Cherokee (it traveled to both Korea and Japan), 1998 (Totaled it in an ice storm/white out in Reno in 2009), and currently have a 1998 for the mountains/desert/towing the aluminum fishing boat. Wish I had the 1942 Ford Jeep back, sold it when I went I enlisted and went into the Corps.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 07-12-2017 at 08:38 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a J100 pickup for awhile... every jeep attribute plus a lot of rust! I had to weld the passenger door shut because it would no longer latch and parts were unobtanium. Thing went through mud and snow like crazy, did a little rock crawling but the rear over hang caused issues on steep approaches and when coming off a rock. Hung it on the back bumper a few times, nothing a hi lift jack didn't fix. Jack it up, tilt it forward until it fell off the jack. Didn't care if it beat up the end gate! Was a fun driver but the rust got so bad it was unsafe. That was followed by a 1979 Jimmy with 225k miles. I drove that to 350k miles then the engine went. It was a rust bucket too!

Been looking for a project jeep but prices are nuts for rusty pieces of junk!

Banned
    Yep, rust kills more vehicles than wear.

I know a guy that has a old CJ that the frame is rusted so bad it will not pass a state safety inspection but the drivetrain is still chugging along. It will be sold for parts.

I've had several vehicles that the body rotted off while the rest of it was fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	199576

A more complete jeep set-up... you will notice a certain lack of numbers on these vehicles...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep 2.jpg  

Boolit Master

Finally figured out the picture issue, I think...

Attachment 199578

Boolit Master

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast