MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Weather Radios

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Weather Radios

Weather Radios are a good thing (I think)

They tell you when dangerous weather is near.

Then they tell you when thunderstorm is near.

Then they tell you when the river might flood.

Then they go off for a amber-alert.

Soon they will go off for a squadron of mosquito's. That was spot headed for your city!

After the weather radio went off for 25 -30 alerts last night, I shut it off.

It has become the little boy that cried wolf
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post

Soon they will go off for a squadron of mosquito's. That was spot headed for your city!

Check your settings, mine did that until I set my location and turned off warnings I didn't need, like hurricanes.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!

I appreciate the alerts. But when the alarms go on every 15 minutes for 3 or 4 hours, especially given the tone of the alarms, well . . .

Mine made 3 or 4 revolutions above my head by the power cord and then hurled unceremoniously into the ditch.

Enough is enough.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Check your settings, mine did that until I set my location and turned off warnings I didn't need, like hurricanes.
    Thanks I turn off a lot of them. So we will see

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!

I appreciate the alerts. But when the alarms go on every 15 minutes for 3 or 4 hours, especially given the tone of the alarms, well . . .

Mine made 3 or 4 revolutions above my head by the power cord and then hurled unceremoniously into the ditch.

Enough is enough.
    Boy do I know what you mean. The setting will help but not if they keep setting off tones.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

We use our cell phones.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Master
    I listen to mine twice a day with no warning settings. In winter I would be wasting a lot of gas if I didn't use it because of the ferries across Puget Sound that don't run if the wind is over a certain speed at certain marine locations. If they predict snow below 1500 feet, I don't go out on business. If wind gusts are over 40, I sharpen and gas up the chainsaw (I call them "firewood storms"). It might not be true elsewhere in the country but in our part of the globe, the weather broadcast is to be taken seriously between mid-October and mid-April.

Banned
    ain't worth a **** where I live

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Use the Specific Area Message Encoding for YOUR zipcode, then you only get alerts which affect YOU!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

Works well here on the prairie, even though no stations are local. Just went off for the t-storm that is approaching... hope power doesn't go down again(Xcel Energy, someone farts the power goes off)...

Banned
    Still on the prairie, south of you. Tornado on the ground just north of here. Get Amber alerts though. Broadcast TV stations do not alert unless they are in the path

Old weather radios were very inflexible. I used one when they first came out. I was a state park ranger and the Great Lakes weather reports were useful. In the center of Michigan the same radio got shut off and given away quickly as too many alerts were coming in. The newest ones are much more programmable or selective. Still, save the receipt

Moderator Emeritus

I understand the frustration. Here in my neck of the woods, the NOAA alerts are pretty infrequent, but even so, I leave mine off unless I have a concern. Then I turn it on, make sure it's tuned in to my area, and just pretty much ignore it unless they say something that's material to my situation. You might try that. I really think they're pretty much a necessity, but you do NOT have to have them on all the time. FWIW?

Banned
    STILL one of the best systems out there! OK, maybe a twinge of "chicken little" from time to time but the radio systems are incredibly reliable over a large territory and not dependent on complex technology.