WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: an interesting read

an interesting read

I don't read much in the way of religious books or novels. But I just finished reading the novel "The Shack". Friend of my wife's gave her the book a couple of years ago. Wife has been reading, strange, she's never picked up 2 books a year until this year, and she's been reading almost non-stop for the past couple of months.... Sorry I digress. Wif happened to find it and read the book. She has been bugging me for a week to read it. So I picked it up and read it yesterday.

Good novel. Interesting concepts about the Trinity, redemption, and forgiveness. I can't say that i disagree with anything I think book directly, it is a novel and as such, some license is taken. But overall, I think it is a good read for someone struggling with issues in their life and maybe neednan alternative way to looking at God, redemption and forgiveness. Along with salvation.

A movie has been made recently from the book, guess we'll be watching it soon...
    But if you have a friend or acqwaintance that is having life issues, it might be a good gift.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the heads-up see if I can find it.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

It is definitely a novel, problem when it first came out was being billed by many who read it as a true story. Personally I believe the book would confuse the unchurched. Having said that God can/will use anything.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

I agree, if you are an unbeliever, it might be an issue, but just the Bible itself is an issue understanding and even from a believer's point of view. I think it more demonstrates that even true believers can have times of stress, doubts and this is one book that could be of use. It isn't always easy to pick up the kjv and find the perfect passage to relieve your angst.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

USMC 77, USRA 79

I loved the shack. Read it about 3 times in the last 7-8 years. Can't tell you how many times I teared up while reading it each time I read it.. a real good read, and like others said, God uses everything.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Never considered how an unbeliever might comprehend it but having read it several times over a couple of years I must say that it gave me a more "intuitive" understanding of the Trinity. There is an initial shock value of the portrayal of God the Father portrayed as a large congenial black woman (!!!) But the perfect nature and relationship of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit is revealed in a unique way that in no way blasphemes scripture, and to me at least, enhanced my appreciation of the Divine mystery. As an old black preacher remarked once, it "unscrews the inscrutable"!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Moderator Emeritus

Believers were never promised an "easy life," as so many tend to assume on coming to faith. A true Christian's life is one of many challenges and sometimes, ordeals. Rain will fall "on the just and the unjust alike." As Christians, we're not promised any special privileges - just that whatever befalls us in our time here, we'll have a hand to hold in even the darkest of times. Yes, there's real joy in belief, that non-believers cannot know, unless they too come to Christ and accept Him as He really is, and not just as they want or envision Him to be. Some of the most devout and strongest and most faithful Christians I've ever known were the ones who were the most challenged in this life, and who steadfastly held to their Lord, through "thick and thin." Never relenting in their faith, and always encouraged by our Lord to keep putting one foot ahead of the other. THESE are the people who provide the rest of us with such shining examples of what faith can do, why it's so important to all of us, and how it CAN really and truly see us through even the worst of times, the worst pain, and the most awful sorrows. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Amen.