Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Wad slugs in over bore 12 gauge

Wad slugs in over bore 12 gauge

Anyone out there try a lyman 525 or a Lee 1oz slug in a over bore, or back bore 12 gauge. I have a winchester sxp with a .741" bore and am getting gear together to cast slugs.
    Have any of you tried a home cast slug in a bore like this?
    I know it can be done, I'm just looking for anyone with experience doing it. These bores arnt supposed to shoot slugs well but mine shoots every factory slug I have tried quite well. No worse than any other smooth bore I own.
    Thanks

Well I found out for myself. They work well!

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm... I'm surprised your question got no responses. I had no experience with back bored barrels so no first hand comments from me.

I am glad the 0.662" balls worked for you and I think the 0.678" balls will be every bit as good. The 0.690's we'll see. The 0.735's should do well, they did for me but I just find it a pain to make up wad columns for the full bore slug. I'm getting lazy. Plastic wads/shotcups are easy to load with so balls and slugs that fit into shotcups are my friends!

I'll have to cast up some more Lee's to give them another go. You got good results with Lee 1 oz. slugs too. In fact you should comment on the other thread about that:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Lee-1oz-Slugs

I think 4" at 40 yards is pretty good.

On that note, a few more details of your success here would be good too. Always good to share. We all learn.

Longbow

Although my success is limited to one trip out at a paced off yardage I am pleased.
    My recipe was Remington gun club hulls with 35 gr of hs-6 behind WAA12 wad. I put a 1/8" nitro card under the slug and it crimped down beautifully.
    We were out huckleberry picking and were in a clearing so there were no trees to use as a rest. So I was limited to a kneeling shooting position. I feel with a proper rest I could have done better for sure.
    The round balls and the Lee slugs all flew true with no erratic behaviors.
    Next time out I wil be trying at known ranges. 50 yards and I might try some at 100 just to see how they perform