Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Pre- .222 Remington days

Pre- .222 Remington days

I found this letter in a 1947 American Rifleman and thought I'd share. I'm sure many of you recognize the author.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

M. L. Stith

M. L. Stith eh.

Here is an old Model 70 with a Stith mount holding a Weaver 330. That 330 is still perfect and probably as clear now as when it came out of the factory.

I'm looking for another Stith mount for a circa 1928 Model 48 in 30/30. The usual searches don't produce anything. Anyone have any ideas or have one?

I agree with Mr. Stith about the 22 Hornet, although I slew a bunch of vermine in Montana with one last month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winchester 70 1943 02-800-90%.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned

He makes the point of only using factory ammunition. I wonder how the .219 Donaldson Wasp would stack up if he shot any wildcats. From what I have read, it held all the accuracy records before the .222.

Boolit Master
    My Grandfather (Lived in SA) was a good friend of the Stiths. Several of his guns were scoped by Stith. Playing with a Marlin 336A that was his. Has Stith mounts, Stith dovetail sight plugs, Stith scope.. Pretty well made stuff in it's day.

Boolit Master
    .22 Hornet rifles would have been a heinz 57 mix of Savage 322 and 219, Winchester M70s and M43s, reworked M-22 Springfields, rechambered 22 LR falling blocks and any number of other guns not of high quality origin. I would not be surprised if some of them were not terrible shooters.

I have a barrel removed from a 1935 M70 in .22 Hornet. It had been rechambered to .22-3000 R2 Lovell.
    EDG

If you find an accurate load in your .22 Hornet-stop right there in my experience. That little booger can be frustrating. The best one I've owned was a Charles Daly/Armscor bolt action that Randy Womack talked me out of. I got consistent 1-1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yds with the V-Max bullet and LilGun.