Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lead sold in an on line auction

In Remembrance

Lead sold in an on line auction

There were 20 ingots with Lyman on them, what kind of lead and actual weight is unknown. The final bid was $28, add 10% comission and 6% sales tax puts the final price over $30. Well it might make good fishing sinkers?Robert

Who knows???? Why I won't buy on fleabay or from someone I do not know is selling good alloy. The vendors here are reliable, fleabay, not so much. You could have bought 20# of zinc for all you know.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Who knows???? Why I won't buy on fleabay or from someone I do not know is selling good alloy. The vendors here are reliable, fleabay, not so much. You could have bought 20# of zinc for all you know.
    as he said they will make good zinkers
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    unless you get raw its hard to say what you will get
    Captain in VS you will get what you buy and she is cheap as any

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I browse EBay pretty regularly and I'm shocked at what some of that stuff sells for. I would be much more comfortable buying from our members here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    There were 20 ingots with Lyman on them, what kind of lead and actual weight is unknown. The final bid was $28, add 10% comission and 6% sales tax puts the final price over $30. Well it might make good fishing sinkers?Robert
    Why add 10%? The seller pays Ebay 10%, so receives $28 less the $2.80 final value fee and the PP fees on the payment AND the shipping.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

ADMIN

I never understood why people buy unknown lead.

Unless you have a scanner gun to know what you got I wouldn't use it for anything but sinkers.

I use a Master Caster that I automated.

I found out early on when I was using ingots I bought online that it was a mistake.
    Each batch of boolits was different.
    Because I didn't know what lead alloy I had to start with everything would change as I put more ingots in the pot.
    The temp that the lead melted changed. The way the lead acted in the mold when poured was different.

What really sucked is when a piece of trash got stuck in the pour spout.
    20 lbs of lead poured out.

So I bought a total of 5k lbs of lead from the foundry.
    95/2.5/2.5
    $1.07 a lb brought to my dock.
    You need to scan the lead and go from there

Boolit Grand Master

I've always been able to make good bullets with the scrap that I have scrounged. My favorite is wheelweights, which is mostly what I use and is mostly a known quality. I'm not using an automated machine though! I can see that unknown alloy in an automated system could be problematic, but I never gave it any thought. I bet casting with a new known alloy is a joy!

Boolit Master

I have gotten good lead from a few ebay vendors. In fact I have never gotten bad stuff (although once I found a rock in an ingot). Most sellers tell where the lead came from and there is a method for getting your money back if the product is not what it is said to be.

I have bought from The Captain and her stuff is always great and competitively priced. Sometimes I just don't feel like going to the Post Office to get a MO though.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Why add 10%? The seller pays Ebay 10%, so receives $28 less the $2.80 final value fee and the PP fees on the payment AND the shipping.

Don`t know why everybody is assuming this was an ebay auction? I didn`t say it was, it was a small town auction company that does its auctions on line only and yes they do charge the winner a 10% auction commission plus 6% Mich. sales tax. I guess the point I attempted to make with the 1st post was how people get caught up in the bidding and go over what that item is actually worth.Robert

In Remembrance
    Yes, 10% buyers commission is quite common for local firearm auctions. Been there, done that!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Banned
    We are not reading the title and post #1 carefully (I'm guilty also). We read part of it then see what we want to see or what were thinking about.
    Then we post something way out in left field/ Then we read the title and the last post (out in left field) and the thread is no longer anything close to what is asked or stated in post #1.

Boolit Master
    Unknow lead I normally use for bullets that are easy, 40 S&W and 45 ACP or 9mm. The 9/40 are powder coat and 45acp is lubed.

Boolit Master

My bad. I assumed Ebay. However, I had recently seen an Ebay listing with "Lyman" ingots. I did not check the final price. I hate Buyer's Premiums. They are a lie the auctioneer tells the seller-"I will sell this for you for free, the buyer will pay my commission." When in fact, the bottom line reflects the actual value of the item, premium included. Unless the buyer doesn't realize he is paying for the privilege of bidding, which I admit, does sometimes happen.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!