Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: 77-85 gr. Cast in .30 cal.

77-85 gr. Cast in .30 cal.

Discussion for a .30 cal "plinker" at NOE, no reason it could not be designed to cover our slightly undersized bores....

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....ic,2175.0.html

Post in the thread if you are interested in it....

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

What .30 cal. guns have you got? And what sort of velocity do they produce?

I still haven't jumped into the PCP game but keep thinking about it. I'm most interested in .25 cal. to 9mm. Really a large effective plinking and maybe small game gun that is easier on air than the big bores.

.25 gal. may be a bit small but bigger than 9mm eats up air fast. so .30 cal to 9mm seem attractive. I haven't seen many .30 cal.'s but am not well educated on PCP guns either.

Sorry, not a question related to the NOE .30 cal plinker... unless I get a .30 cal. PCP that is.

Longbow

I have a couple of .30 cals, one regulated at 2000 psi, tuned to shoot about 950 fps with 45-50 gr. pellets (~ 100 FPE), and the other tuned to shoot 70 gr. cast bullets at about the same velocity (~140 FPE) at 3000 psi, unregulated.... In addition I have a .308 cal that shoots 115 gr. bullets in the mid to high 800s at ~200 FPE on 3000 psi....

Bob

Boolit Master
    My Wolverine .303 shoots 51 grain pellets at 950 fps. quite a step up from the FX Boss .30, 80 grain cast at .301" are slower and not quite up to the pellets for accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmm... something from 70 to 120 gr. is sort of what I am thinking would be nice. Not big gun power but much much more than a standard pellet rifle.

Are these commercial guns or custom? I don't recall seeing any .30 cal. air guns other than Quakenbush. I'll have to surf around some and see what is available.

Thanks,
    Longbow

Extreme Airguns.... American Air Arms Slayer.... Scandalous Airguns.... and of course the DAQ Exile.... are all available in .308 cal.... plus a few others....

Bob

Boolit Grand Master

I'll take a look at those. I have not heard of Extreme Airguns, American Air Arms or Scandalous Airguns. I must be living a sheltered life! I have looked in the past but not found these.

Thanks,
    Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    I have a DAQ in 308 I have a 90gr 30 cal cast from a lee mould. I swage it in 30 cal swage dies to reshape it and it will hit a 6x6 plate at 120yds every time If I do my part. I also have a 308 130gr NOE mould that Al Nelson was said was a DAQ design or recommendation it shoots well also. I fill to 3000 and get three good shots. the 30cal is a air hog. I have not done anything to it. it is the way it came. lucky I got drawn on first try.
    m

Boolit Master
    Daystate Wolverine is a beautiful well made .30 cal. that may be much more practical than most, one model gets 13 shots/ fill and another gets over 20/fill. Guns that get only a couple of shots are not much good for hunting.

I guess it depends what you are hunting.... My DAQ was a beautifully made gun as well, and after a small tune, delivered 6 shots per fill at 185 FPE.... that is a 118 gr. bullet at 840 fps.... Now that's way overkill for ground hogs and the like, and it would be nice to have more shots if the targets are plentiful, as you often get with varmints.... but you could probably not find a better predator gun that could also be used on up to deer sized game.... where power trumps shot count, IMO....

Bullet shooters and pellet shooters are not really all that comparable, because they are usually intended for different purposes....

Bob

Boolit Master
    Some of those guns only get 2 or 3 shots per fill, not enough for follow up shots on wounded game.

Most, if not all can be tuned for 4-6 shots, the manuacturers prefer to tune them for the first shot fastest, which results in the "Korean Cliff", which buys you nothing in performance but wastes enough air to double the shot count with no practical loss in power.... The way my DAQ came, I got 3 shots, from 3000 psi down to 1800.... By simply reducing the hammer spring tension, that changed to 5 shots within a 4% ES, and my 5th shot was faster than the 2nd shot the way the gun came.... and I used less air for all 5.... The highest velocity shot lost just 3 fps....

If you can't kill something with 5 shots, you need to stop hunting, IMO....

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    rsterne,
    would you share some suggestions on reducing the hammer spring tension on the DAQ 30cal. I hesitate to cut the original. 1911 slide springs seem to be the similar. thanks
    m

I simply compressed my hammer spring over a guide to keep it straight.... This process is called "setting" the spring, and reduces it's overall length, by reducing the coil spacing.... I went a bit at a time, checking the velocity, and ended up compressing the spring completely to coil bind for my final tune.... This reduced the overall length of the spring (uncompressed) from 5.44" with 1.2" of preload to just 4.50", with 1/4" of preload....

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Sir.
    m