Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Getting some leading with Hi-Tec

Boolit Mold

Getting some leading with Hi-Tec

I am getting some leading in Glock and Cz 9mm barrels using Hi-tek. Bullet is Lee 356 120 tc according to my Cabine Tree hardness tester they are 16 Bin. If I quench out of the oven they are 20 Bin both hardness lead the barrels. I am doing 3 coats of Hi-Tec.. 3.8 pounds of bullets to 4 ml of Hi-Tec for each coat baked for 12 min at 390 degrees. bullets pass smash and wipe test.

I size the bullets after the first bake. they are sized to .356 I realize that if I size to .358 they won't lead but then they won't work in my shock bottle case gauge and they are kinda big for the Cz. I shoot pistol competitions and the case gauge is a must for me. There are plenty of companies that sell Hi-Tec coated bullets sized to .356 maybe they all lead I've never tried them but have seen lots of them at matches.

I load them to a 1.10 Oal with 4.2 grains of Win 231. I use a Mr bullet feeder 9mm expander and a taper crimp to just remove the flare. Pulled bullets are not scraped and are not being swaged down by the brass.

So that's my process I usually cast and coat in 3000 bullet batches and Hi-Tec is a awesome coating and works very well with big batches of bullets. The leading isn't that bad but if I shoot 200 bullets there is lead in my barrel. My question is are you guys really getting zero leading with Hi-Tec ? Do you see any problems with my process? I have spent a lot of time lurking on this forum to get to this point thanks for all your help.

Boolit Mold
    I don't get any leading. I use a known certified alloy. Are you smelting your mix yourself? Is there any chance your alloy is contaminated with something?

Boolit Master
    CZ SP-01 love bullets at .3575"Dia. Everyone here uses this size.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    Try .3575, if it doesn't fit in your shock bottle case gauge try the largest size that will.

Boolit Master
    they are sized to .356 I realize that if I size to .358 they won't lead
    I think you just answered your own problem. Hi-Tek is a cast bullet lube...not a jacket.

Boolit Master

Will a .358 boolit pass the plunk test in your barrel?

I size all my 9mm boolits to .357/.358 depending on which bushing I grab. Both work. The .358 sized ones seem to be a bit more accurate.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Mold
    Yes .358 will plunk in my barrels. I will try .357 and on my next batch and see how they work. I do know powder coated .358 left
    no lead in my barrels but like I said in my post they won't work in my case gauge . Me and my teenage son shoot 4 matches a month and that's a lot of bullets to plunk in the gun barrels would be faster to just keep cleaning out the lead.

Banned

I get zero leading with no type of coating on a nakerd lead bullet.
    your problem is diameter.

you are using a gauge but the gauge ain't your gun and it is made for copper bullets to insure the rounds are small enough to chamber.
    that is exactly backwards from the way lead works.

Boolit Mold
    I am having the same problem. Not sure if my wheel weights are contaminated, bullets not hard enough, or what is going on. Looking forward to somebody figuring it out.

forget the case gauge....

cast bullets need to be larger than bore diameter.... they rarely work in a case gauge... at least that has been my experience...

Boolit Master
    There is a guy here in OZ. Victor precision. He is an excellent gunsmith and machinist. he makes 100 round loaded round guages specifically for lead bullet loaded ammo. He , his wife and son are avid IPSC competitors. He makes some very interesting 1911 and 2011 parts too.
    His slidestop thumbrest is extremely popular with IPSCers.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	200121

I loaded up 200 rounds at .358 here's a pic of them in the case gauge they are a bit high, they should look like the 3 on right. Not perfect but I
    think I can make it work there was one bulged case out of the 200 that was higher than the rest and wouldn't plunk in the barrel. I will try to
    shoot these this weekend and let you guys know the results.

Banned

they should do a whole ton better.
    if you still have leading I would look at the throat.
    it's not unheard of for a company to make a poor throat from time to time.

Banned

Hi TeK = leading if you don't cover all the bases. You can't just put Hi Tek on a bullet and and expect no leading. If you really want to just go for it, PC is much more likely to to cover up the lack of preparation.
    See post #8

Boolit Master
    I have not tried any coatings yet but found bullet size to be the source of leading in both my 39-2 and SW 1911
    Pretty much went as big as I could plunk in the barrel and chamber with out issue.
    I have shot alloy from range scrap to cert. Alloy hardness seems to have little impact on leading unless I push the softies really hard...which I do not. I cast to shoot as soft shooting loads as possible.
    I am running low on traditional lubes so I might give "coatings" a try.

I'm getting some leading with the Lee 120 grain bullet and Tightgroup at 1000fps in my CZ75. I think my problem is, the result of having switched to tumble lubing with BLL. My bullets measure .358 from the mold and could be getting swaged down a bit in seating. The leading is 'clumps of lead' all at the last inch of barrel. I'm going to run a batch of these bullets through my RCBS sizer with Lyman Super Moly and see if that resolves the leading issues.

Boolit Master
    leading near the muzzle is a result of lube failure.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    leading near the muzzle is a result of lube failure.
    No doubt in my mind you're correct.

Boolit Mold
    Well I shot a 100 through my Glock and a 100 through the CZ SP-O1 no leading at .358 and they all chambered fine and were a bit more accurate and the case gauge
    will work !! Thanks for your help sorry to waste your time with a problem I knew the answer to, I just assumed .358 would be way to big for my gauge that's why I didn't
    try it . You know what they say when you assume.