Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly with a revolver!

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations. That's some fine shooting.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Just curious, how difficult is it for a resident to get a tag to hunt grizzly bears? I lived up there for a year and a half and it seemed like everybody hunted black bears, but it seems like tags for grizzlies were hard to get even for residents.
    Easy. A good portion of the state requires no resident tag for grizzly at all (This was my case). A few areas require a registration tag which is free and over-the-counter and/or a $25 locking tag.

The hard part are some of the areas that are draw tag only. For instance a Kodiak Island tag is very hard to draw. For the most part, if a resident wanted to hunt grizzly every year, there are plenty of places to do it.

What timeframe where you here? Where about?
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Moderator Emeritus

Nice pics and write up. The State of MT loves to sell bear tags but handcuffs you by ending the season near the time boars are coming out, no baits and no dogs. They do sell tags though. We scope and spot avalanche chutes but to get in pistol range of a Grizzly is rare.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

I was stationed at Fort Richardson '93-'94. Tour got cut short when they closed down the 6th ID. I didn't see a whole lot of bears while I was up there and wasn't much into big game hunting back then. I'd probably like living up there more nowadays than I did back then.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I was stationed at Fort Richardson '93-'94. Tour got cut short when they closed down the 6th ID. I didn't see a whole lot of bears while I was up there and wasn't much into big game hunting back then. I'd probably like living up there more nowadays than I did back then.
    I was stationed at Ft Wainwright '87-'92. I shot a few black bear over bait and a grizzly in the Brooks Range on a float hunt. There are a lot more bear around now then there were back then.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

.41 rules! Way to go.
    Still the best magnum revolver round in my mind.
    Yes, I realize I'm in the minority but it would be different if I cared!
    Good work sir.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations, nice bear with a revolver!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Thumb's up!!!

The black bears around here don't need heat treated boolits either, just COWW and a good meplat.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

the ol' .41 getting it done! congrats!
    Jesus gave me everything when he gave me salvation.
    CBOB0690

Boolit Buddy

Nice job rugerfan. I've only taken a hog with my 41 Blackhawk so far. Used a 250 WFN with 296. I know what you mean about blood flowing out. Congrats

Congrats on your Grizz with your handgun. Sounds like it got a bit exciting after the initial shot for a short while.
    That flat nose certainly did a number on him. Good shooting and i hope the meat turns out well for you.

Boolit Master
    Just goes to show the .41 is a very capable round. Been shooting M57, 6" since 1980 and about a year ago finally made a good deal on a 4". I also picked up a Henry when they first came out, marvelous gun and a tack driver. I shoot the Henry the most, as I've gotten older the recoil in a pistol can be tough on the old hands. For me the Henry is just a natural to shoot, balance and size is perfect for me.

does noe make a LFN for 44? I mean the kind with a bit less meplat than the almost "wadcutter" shown in the pic?lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Nice job, I don't have cod's that big to hunt a griz...rifle or pistol.

Boolit Man
    I don't think I missed it being posted, but did you get a chance to double check what the velocity is on that 17grains of 2400 load? I'm pretty curious what the speed is on that load.

Big fan of the 41* ...great post!

Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, and good choice to use the pistol at that range. You'll have many chances to use the rifle, but this one will always stand out in your mind. Part of me wishes we had bears here in my neck of the woods, but the G&F Comm. says there are no bears in S. GA. However, it's a curious fact that 3 have been killed inside the city limits, all on the bypass, and 2 were hit by ambulances! Strange indeed! G&F says they were probably younger bears run out of their home territory by dominant males, but .... who knows? I do know one fellow who has been killing bears for many years now down on the river in the "big woods." They surely keep to themselves, and have to to survive, but a very few souls go in after them, and have learned to hunt them. The population of both bears and their hunters seems to be extremely small, and it's VERY rare to see a bear here or hear of even a report of anyone seeing them.

All these "nonexistent" large predators are one of the varied reasons I never go into the woods without at least a sidearm. I have no desire to kill a local bear. They have enough problems existing without my adding to them. But I have no desire, either, to be one's dinner, if I should somehow accidentally wind up between mom and her cubs, and no desire to fight a fight over territory with a male, either. I know little enough about bears and bear behavior already, and don't have any desire to learn anything new the "hard way!"

Bears have always fascinated me, especially the grizzlies. One magnificent animal!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for sharing!
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Vendor Sponsor

Grizzly with a revolver! Yikes!
    Great title!
    I know grizzlies are dangerous! Now they are packing revolvers!

BTW - nice hunt! two thumbs up for the 41 with cast.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    ANYTHING with a revolver or pistol is special. I have one deer and a multitude of various small game critters, but no bears, as thou shalt not kill a bear in Alabama. A grizzly has to be super special!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    I also picked up a Henry when they first came out, marvelous gun and a tack driver.
    Ohhh I want one of those bad! Have that gun on my short list.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    I don't think I missed it being posted, but did you get a chance to double check what the velocity is on that 17grains of 2400 load? I'm pretty curious what the speed is on that load.

Big fan of the 41* ...great post!
    Sorry, but I haven't been back to the range yet. I've been doing a lot of fishing lately. Got to get that in when the weather is nice. I'll try to remember to post the velocity when I can get to it.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast