MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New gun store in a rural area: things are going well

Boolit Buddy
    We have a shop here that is the same way. I asked him if he could make more profit ordering a gun for me and he said "no, you order it and send it here and i'll do the transfer (for 25.00) and that will be cheaper for you"
    so last week I needed a chamber reamed (new 2 groove barrel I installed on 1903) he quoted a price, and when I came back (less than 2 hours later) to pick it up I told him "I don't think the price you quoted me was fair, so i'll pay you (10 dollars more than he had quoted me) and not a penny less"
    he said he normally doesn't dicker on price, but this time he'd make an exception.

Boolit Master

Andy, so glad that your new business has started off with a bang (pun intended). The smaller LGS just has a better feel when you go in. I think it is important for it to be inviting where other gun minded folks can come together and chew the fat ever so often. I believe that given good pricing and friendly atmosphere, those customers will be willing and happy to do business locally. Good customer service goes a long way in promoting a business. Word of mouth can be your best or your worse advertisement. Which way it comes to you depends on you. The ball is in your court.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Bravo! Wish there was a lgs in my area with your philosophy!

Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations and kudos to you! A really good LGS is supposedly going the way of the dodo, but I believe much of that sentiment is based on the theory that business is ALL about the money. Surely, money is NECESSARY, but if that's a person's ONLY goal, most businesses will wind up being disappointing. My son opened a convenience store at the age of 25, and did a really booming business - much more than he'd anticipated. And he did it all by just getting to know his customers by name and caring about them, genuinely. Even those who gave him bad checks, he treated gently, but firmly, letting them know they had to cover their old bad check before he could take another. When they complained or whatever, he just stood firm, in a very low-key way. They understood, and when he became their primary go-to store for sundries, even they kind'a straightened up enough to tell him they didn't have the money right now, but would Friday, and if he'd hold a check until then, they'd really, really appreciate it. He did this often, and it did take a wee bit of extra time, but wow! Did it ever more pay off! He now leases out his store, and nobody has done anything like the business he did when he ran it himself. Folks loved his place because he didn't carry the lottery, and folks coming in and in a hurry just to get gas didn't have to wait in line while folks scratched off their tickets or whatever. Lottery players are NOT among the most considerate people in convenience stores! Everyone knew him by name and he knew almost all his customers, who amounted to several thousand. He knew who was related to who, and they'd often exchange short little revelations about themselves - just simple pleasantries among friends.

There's a lot more to business than JUST the money! Service is something that gives folks confidence in you, and lets you charge a tad more than if they'd ordered in. And don't forget the shipping on orders in! That alone lets you charge a little more, and businesses get taxed heavily enough now, that you probably need every little thing you can get, money-wise. Be bold, but not TOO bold. Folks love dealing with folks who are "like them," and are genial and pleasant to talk with. They don't teach this at Harvard Business School, but I've seen it over the years many, many times. People eventually shop with folks they just LIKE, and I suspect, always will.

Boolit Grand Master
    Soooooooooooo, ..................... Where is your store? I go out of my way to support the right people.

Moderator Emeritus

Best part of the small local LGS is the group that hangs out on the stools drinking coffee or pop. Lots of stories, lots of knowledge if you sit and listen.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Congrats on your endeavor.
    I have two LGS's that I support. One here just out of Houston and one back home in La.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    Andy, congratulations on your success. It sounds like you have the very best asset to continue your business and that is your attitude toward your customers. Be fair and respectful and this will work out for you. For the past 8 years I have worked at the same LGS and over that the store has had 4 (yes, 4) different owners. The first 3 owners either diverted the profits from sales, or failed to give the store enough of their time and attention, or treated the store more like a hobby than a business, or had a grouchy-mean-ego based personality, or operated purely on their personal preferences without consideration of the customers interests or market trends. Every single work day was a different experience with no consistency. Many customers left angry or disappointed and have not returned. The house had a bad name in the shooting community.

The current owner (#4) is an experienced businessman and a gentleman. He understands business ethics and customer appreciation and personnel management. Suddenly we are seeing greatly improved customer flow, sales are jumping, employees are much happier and life is good. Your statements signal to me that you are the kind of person who can be trusted and appreciated. Keep your positive attitude and you will do well. Congratulations.

Perma-Banned

Congrats on taking the risk and doing what is necessary to make it work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Soooooooooooo, ..................... Where is your store? I go out of my way to support the right people.
    My thoughts too. Andy lists his location in the northeast. I'm in the northeast and quite a few other members are as as well.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

I always support the local shops,I would rather give my dime to a local than a big box store even if I have to pay a little more for it at times
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

By the continued Grace of God, your outstanding attitude and commitment to customer service your business will flourish beyond all expectations.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12