Thread: Mixing different grains????

Boolit Grand Master

Mixing different grains????

I'd like to get more bulk with my load.
    Chasspot
    Has anyone mixed "Cannon" with "F"?????
    Any problems with doing it????

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have no idea if it is a "good idea" or not to do it and I'm sure someone will come along who has the knowledge to answer that particular question.

In theory though and just off the top of my head - you are mixing one "grain size" with another - which should increase the bulk (cannon with 1F). But, will it not take (in theory) longer for the larger grain to burn than the smaller grain and as a result, the overall burn rate of the charge change to a slower burn rate? If so, then wouldn't the velocity of the charge change?

I'm not saying that is what happens - I'm asking as I think your question is an interesting one and I look forward to someone answering who can provide the "whys and why nots".

I have shot BP for over 50 years (muzzleloaders of all types as well as full size Civil War cannons/mortors). I know when I have been short of 2F and have 3F or am short of 3F and have 2F, I have adjusted the loads (I don't shoot heavy loads). Mixing would seem to "bulk" up the load but with BP, would it affect the pressure in your old rifle (although with BP, that is usually not an issue in many cases)?

Interesting question and I look forward to seeing what is said.

Boolit Master

i have shot real black over top of a pyrodex charge to help with ignition. not in practice.. but onsies here and there.

I have a 1842 springfield musket in 69 smooth bore, that on it's first shot of the day, when cold, it likes about 5 grains of 4f black down the bore then my usual FFG pyrodex charge, for it to 'sure fire' on the first cap.

once warmed, ffg pyrodex lights off ok.

Mixing does affect both the burn initial pressure (small grain) and the duration of burn (large grain). This may be inconsistent with differing mixes and compression. Especially as they will sort themselves by gravity if mixed ready to load in the cartridges. Here we bulk up the load with semolina or polenta but any food grain of your preference. Bulghur wheat matches my 1F for example and tabouleh my 3F. Just experiment with how much to add on top of the BP to compress lightly down to a firm paper powder case and it is handy for adjusting the cartridge length too. I suppose mixing the inert filler in with the BP might work too but I would imagine that this would have been touted back in the old days if it had worked and I have never seen it mentioned in period works.

Military contractors used to provide mixed granulations but as a means to use up surplus powder in stock not as a technically superior loading. The cheapest shotgun BP here appears to me to be a mix of sweepings and dust and contains everything from 4F to cannon so mixing is done. Awful dirty stuff but makes 120 grain musket charges cheaper and more impressively smokey......... So it can and has been done.

These days I have passed on my Chassepot and moved on to a Westley Richards Monkey Tail for a paper cartridge breech loader.
    Last edited by yulzari; 07-11-2017 at 12:41 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wish I had a Monkey tail.