WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Hornady 178 grain 30 caliber

Boolit Master

Hornady 178 grain 30 caliber

Just got 100 of these to try out,and the manufacturer said use 180 grain load data,which is what I would assume anyhow I'll be launching these in 2 30-06s a 300 weatherby 308 and a 300 win mag any of you guys or gals have any hands on work with these or a favorite recipe? Thank you in advance!

I played with that Bullet in my 3006 and had excellent results. I am not at home right now so cannot say what my recipe was offhand. It gave me the same group size as the 168 match Bullets at 200 yards. Haven't tried them farther out yet.

Boolit Master
    I also have used it in .30-06. In fact, it's my deer hunting load.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Great I'm like looking for an accurate hunting load with these modern wiz bangs,sounds like I'm on the right track

Boolit Grand Master

Any of the 4350 powders will give excellent performance. I prefer AA4350 and use 56.5 gr. I have pressure tested it also and in Winchester cases 57 gr is max with a WLR primer in modern actions. In milsurp actions I'd consider 55.5 gr to be max. Of course if you try this load start at 54.5 gr and work up watching for the usual pressure signs in your rifle. My load runs 2710 fps (muzzle) out of my 24" M70.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

My best 180 grain SMK loads in my Model 70 match rifle in Ought-Six use either of the Hodgdon or IMR 4350 powders. That seems to be about the right burning rate for the 180s and I'm sure for your new 178 grainers. I'm traveling right now so I can't give you the charge weight or chrono data, but both powders seem to ignite well with the Fed 210 match primer and give good ballistic uniformity and accuray to 1,000 yards. I generally use LC cases with excellent results and case longevity.

Larry,

Perhaps we should try a few at your 1 mile range this fall or winter if I can make it down.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Much appreciated gents,the various 4350s are my go to fuel for the 06! And I have several recipes for 180s,though these new space age best ever ballistic missles I thought might call for something new or exotic, guess the 4350s got it right from the start in these flavors.

Boolit Master

These new 178s are long and sleek,way longer than any nosler or Speer 180s I have on hand,have some ladder loaded up by small increments to find a sweet spot!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    My best 180 grain SMK loads in my Model 70 match rifle in Ought-Six use either of the Hodgdon or IMR 4350 powders. That seems to be about the right burning rate for the 180s and I'm sure for your new 178 grainers. I'm traveling right now so I can't give you the charge weight or chrono data, but both powders seem to ignite well with the Fed 210 match primer and give good ballistic uniformity and accuray to 1,000 yards. I generally use LC cases with excellent results and case longevity.

Larry,

Perhaps we should try a few at your 1 mile range this fall or winter if I can make it down.
    I'm certainly game
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I'm certainly game
    I'm thinking a 1903 Springfield with 180s or 190s or perhaps M72 Match ammo. My SMLE with Mk VIIz Ball might do well also. Don't think a mouse gun will work.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master

The '03s sound like fun, they've enough sight adjustment. Definate negative on the mouse guns.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla