Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
PBcastco Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matthew 16:18 Peter the rock?

Moderator Emeritus

One last comment: I've long thought that Peter's vascillations and subsequent redemption was Christ's way of showing us that even the highest among us CAN receive redemption, if we'll just turn away from our doubts and vascillations, and fully commit to Him. So in a way, Peter's "failings" were Christ's way of giving us all the assurance that no matter what our station in life, we ALL are subject to the very same rules and standards of behavior when it comes to our salvation, and our development as believers. Is our God a wondrous God or what? He teaches us in so many ways, our feeble minds just can't seem to absorb it all! The more I know about Him, the more enawed I am of Him!

Boolit Grand Master

Being myself an ADHD'er (Attention Deficit/Hyperactive Disorder) I see this in Peter as well. His impulsiveness is well known and seen in the Scripture. True? I have no idea, but it fits for me. It takes nothing away from his accomplishments.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    ... I see this in Peter as well. His impulsiveness is well known and seen in the Scripture.
    The Bible gives us Peter as a comforting spiritual object lesson of how all of us are. We're well intentioned in heart but tend to be more self confident than we should; we are serious in our faith but sometimes shaky depending on what is happening in our world; etc. Ditto most of the other people used by God to accomplish his plan. If God can use defective humans like Adam, Moses, Paul, Peter, Mark, ... That makes me feel safer because I know HE can use ME!

The "little rock" of Peter is hardly what God planned to build his Church on, that foundation is Jesus, the mighty "Rock of Ages". The meaning of Jesus' comparative rock statements comes clear with any serious word study of the Bible; those choosing to argue the point must ignore the illustrative language of Jesus' words.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12