Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 35 Competition model any good?

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    From what I understand there were two models of the 35 the comp with the ported slide and the adjustable sights and the more base model with the non-adjustable sights non ported slide and the more stock 6or 7lb trigger pull. This gun actually mentions that it has a very lite trigger pull on a label on the case and a small printed card that says " Competition Trigger Only" "If you shoot yourself or someone else its your FAULT."
    First: get rid of that stupid trigger. If he is adamant enough to place a warning, there must be something inherently wrong with it.

Second G35;s were nothing more than a G34 in .40 S&W. Or a G22 with a longer slide and barrel. In fact the G35 slide will fit right on a G22 frame. The reason why they have the cutout in the slide is so the slide weighs the same as a G22 slide, and thus all the internal parts recoil spring etc. work. Nothing special here.

The only other difference is the extended Slide Release and the Connector which is set up as a 3.5 lb. Pull. The normal connector in most Glocks is a 5.5 lb connector. The difference in the connectors is the angle that the tab at the rear is canted. The end of the trigger bar (the curved portion) runs against that tab and the flatter the angle, the easier the trigger pull is. That's the only difference. All the springs are the same.

Brownell's sells a reduced power Spring Kit that includes the Firing Pin Spring, the Trigger Return Spring and the Firing Pin Safety Spring. It reduces the pull about .5-1 lb. I had one and it wore out in about 500 rounds. Stock Springs work right.

There is little to be gained with messing with Stock Glock Parts. The most gain can be had by simply shooting the hell out of the gun and learning how to use it. Front Sight is a good place to learn to shoot them.

www.frontsight.com

I put a 5.5 lb connector (G17/19/22/26/27 and most every other one, in mine and learned how to operate the trigger. It took a while but I have 4 Glocks and the triggers are all identical on them, except my newest G23 which hasn't really gotten broken in. It takes 800-1000 rounds to properly break a Glock in, and the G23 will be just like the others soon.

I am telling you all this because after 15+ years of shooting these guns (my G35 was my first) I can say with out a doubt that aftermarket parts, trigger jobs, polishing internals, blah, blah, blah, are pointless and only reduce the service life of those parts. A good way to spend lots of money of things that won't improve you shooting one bit.

You will get about 5000-10000 rounds out of the stock trigger parts as long as you don't mess with them. you will be lucky to get 500 rounds out of polished parts. Been there and done this numerous times until it finally sunk in thru Osmosis . I managed to ruin 4 Trigger Bars before I got the message, average life 200-300 rounds. I dry fire that much in one week!

Light connectors cause Mashing or Shooting Low to the Left and thus the 5.5 lb Connector is the way to go.

Aftermarket Barrels end up in the bottom of the range bag as mine did, due to malfunctioning way too many times on IDPA stages and costing me places due to premature reloads caused by the malfunctions. That didn't take as long to sink in as I had already changed out the other aftermarket and polished parts.

All my Glocks have the same setup parts. They are:

1. Extended Slide Release from a G35 they fit all the guns except the G36 which has a narrower frame.

This helps with locking the slide back or dropping it during malfunctions and clearing the gun at the end of a stage.

2. Extended Mag Release, which helps with dropping the magazines.

3. Better Sights. I have Dawson Adjustables on the Rear and a Dawson Green Fiber Optics on the front. The Green shows up best in the sunlight.

Tritium Night Sights one the G36 and 23 as they are more about SD.

4. A Clean Gun! Glocks will run way into filthiness. However if you Deep Clean them (take the gun completely apart and clean and lubricate every single part) at least every 400-500 rounds you will have less problems with worn out parts. I have seen guys who refused to clean the gun until it malfunctioned too often. You couldn't even touch the gun without getting your hands filthy. They will still operate like that, you just have to decide if you really want that.

These guns are as close to perfect tools out of the box as anything in existence. They should be looked at as "tools" not "guns." In that context anyone will be satisfied.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Quote: First: get rid of that stupid trigger. If he is adamant enough to place a warning, there must be something inherently wrong with it.

You'll have to discuss that one with Glock themselves since it is their card that was supplied with the gun. You would have known this if you owned a 35 since they packed the warning card with every 35 comp gun that went out the door.

If I may I'll disagree with about everything you posted. You have your opinions and I have mine. I went to 3lb connectors and all the internals and springs changed in my 23 and it had no effect on my point of impact. I probably have 5-10K rounds thru my 23 with no need to yet renew the internals. The 35 was supposted to come from what I have been told with all the good stuff available from Glock and I have no desire to change to a 5 lb connector. If it ever wears out I will simply replace it.

The Glock to me is just another toy and something for me to master. If I really want to get serious I will pull out a 1911 of which I have a half dozen of and do some serious shooting.

Boolit Master

ive done trigger work on a big pile of glock pistols, have yet to have parts fail. that includes everything from #4 carry triggers, to #2 competition triggers.

Boolit Master
    I took the 35 out and shot it and wasn't impressed. I tend to think it was money wasted but I will give it a little more time for me to get used to it. With respect to the comp.... I would rather have a ported barrel which in my opinion actually works. The end of the barrel comp from Jager leaves a lot to be desired. The set screw is too small to render it un-movable. The one I have on the newly purchased used gun moves about 1/4" due to the former owner not knowing how to correctly install the aftermarket comp on the barrel. Jager needs to have their engineers review the diameter of the set screw and do an engineering change to allow for a larger diameter set screw. The barrel needs a small flat or a slight countersink to be put on it gently to allow the set screw a surface to tighten down to and actually stay put where it is tightened. I'll have to work on it so I can remove it work on the barrel and install a larger diameter set screw. Once off and re-worked so it will go on correctly I will be able to access it the comp actually does what it is supposed to do.

I don't see that shooting lead will make any difference since the comp is at the end of the barrel.
    With a compensator, you need ammo loaded pretty hot to take advantage of it and by hot that sometimes that means warmer than SAAMI spec. With the proper load, the compensator is hands down more effective than just barrel porting, not even close! Sounds like ths previous owner wanted the feel of a USPSA open gun.

Oh and it will absolutely scavenge lead off bullets bases and deposit it in the comp. Location doesn't matter, its the high pressure blast of hot gas past the bullet base as it rushes out the compensator. Even with minor power factor loads. I know, ive been there & done it. I can tell you that cleaning lead out of one is a b@stard.

I might be interested in that KKM .357 Sig barrel.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    ive done trigger work on a big pile of glock pistols, have yet to have parts fail. that includes everything from #4 carry triggers, to #2 competition triggers.
    I agree 100% I've yet to wear out any non Glock aftermarket parts and God help me I've also used competition triggers and everything that I shouldn't have. They can have their #5.5 lb triggers and put em where the sun doesn't shine.

Boolit Master

????only problems I have ever had are the springs wear out and break. This is an acceptable problem as springs are consumable product.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    With a compensator, you need ammo loaded pretty hot to take advantage of it and by hot that sometimes that means warmer than SAAMI spec. With the proper load, the compensator is hands down more effective than just barrel porting, not even close! Sounds like ths previous owner wanted the feel of a USPSA open gun.

Oh and it will absolutely scavenge lead off bullets bases and deposit it in the comp. Location doesn't matter, its the high pressure blast of hot gas past the bullet base as it rushes out the compensator. Even with minor power factor loads. I know, ive been there & done it. I can tell you that cleaning lead out of one is a b@stard.

I might be interested in that KKM .357 Sig barrel.
    some people have to find out for themselves. ive leaded up a few compensators in my time. lead, and open base bullets dont go anywhere near my comp guns anymore, i hate scraping that crud out of them.

Banned
    some people have to find out for themselves. ive leaded up a few compensators in my time. lead, and open base bullets dont go anywhere near my comp guns anymore, i hate scraping that crud out of them.
    Its a good thing then that I haven't shot lead thru it but rather plated bullets.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 trigger return springs fail(+1lb.), both aftermarket on a G21SF and a G22.

Banned
    the 35 comes in one flavor, big hole in top of slide, adjustable sights, and the - trigger bar. with all aftermarket parts, its hard to say where you are starting, but in general comps work best with max loads of slower burning powder. also ill mention it again, unless you enjoy scraping lead out of a compensator, use hp or plated bullets as exposed lead really does a number on a comp.

For the record..... I dropped by the gun shop that I purchased my used model 35 from and looked at the 35 they still had sitting there. It has NON-ADJUSTABLE rear sights so I guess it does come in two flavors after all.

Boolit Master
    I know they make at least 3 versions currently. 1. The Gen3,
    2. Then Gen 4, 3, The Gen4 Mos version.
    For the record..... I dropped by the gun shop that I purchased my used model 35 from and looked at the 35 they still had sitting there. It has NON-ADJUSTABLE rear sights so I guess it does come in two flavors after all.

Quote:
    You'll have to discuss that one with Glock themselves since it is their card that was supplied with the gun. You would have known this if you owned a 35 since they packed the warning card with every 35 comp gun that went out the door.
    Here's my G35 bought in 2003 and it had no such card included with it. It is the Tactical Practical model as the only G35 offered was in this configuration. It is the same gun as G34 9mm but with a different barrel and magazine. They come both with a 3.5 lb Connector. There is no solid slide version of this gun.

Also Glock would never have included a Card with that kind of wording on it. That would be a Liability Trap."

There is however The G24 model which has a solid slide, and solid barrel. There is also a G24 Comp model with a ported slide and barrel. Maybe this is what you are talking about ? These guns have 6" barrels and are longer and the front of the slide is not tapered like a G35 slide. They look like a long G22/23.

Here's a pic of my G35.
    and one of a G24

"Attachment 200259

Attachment 200260

There is also a solid Slide version of the G24

Attachment 200265

Here's a pic of me holding my gun

Attachment 200266

Note; the excellent Weaver Stance!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-23-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12