Lee PrecisionGraf & SonsStainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Wisconsin TriggerInline FabricationTitan Reloading

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting a Patch at Muzzle's End

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Muzzle wear.
    Steel on steel I suppose it could happen. But not a overwhelming concern for me. Being in my mid seventy's I figure I don't have enough time left to encounter such a disappointing sight. lol
    +1

Boolit Master

A big reason why folks experience wear at the muzzle while cutting patches is due to the fact that they use a knife sharpened on both sides. I was given a patch knife from a serious muzzle loading rifle competitor back in the 1940s and early 1950s. He had inherited it from his grandfather who has learned muzzle loading technique from his grandfather. The knife has a very thin, flexible blade, sharpened on only one side. Instead of holding it an an angle (as one must with a blade sharpened on both sides) you hold it flat against the muzzle. It is not possible to scrape the muzzles surface with this patch knife. Obviously, there would be a left-handed and right handed knife with blades sharpened on opposite sides. My one-sided patch knife has served me for 50+ years and never scratched the surface of any rifle's muzzle when used correctly. It also has a concave blade so you can carry it in your shooting pouch and not cut your finger searching for it.

Boolit Master
    Reminds me of the broad axes used for shaping timbers, they too came in left and right sided versions with the opposite sides flat. Wonder how many of those nice patch knives were screwed up by someone figuring the flat side was a defect? I have one of a pair of broad axes that had a little of that done to it. Fortunately it takes a lot of work to bevel an axe and the guy didn't get far.
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.

Boolit Master

i prefer a standard twin beveled blade for the patch knife blades i use to build patch knives rather than a single bevel. these are small carbon steel knives with 2-1/2" blades on the average, typically from helle kinves. laying the haft of the blade flat atop the muzzle means the razor sharp blade is raised very slightly above the muzzle and will never cut steel, only cloth. the patch knife has its own sheath on the shooting bag strap, ready for patch strip use.

Any chance of posting a photo of that knife, curator?

All, You can make a decent patch cutter from a clam knife (to open their shells) if you sharpen the blade and cover one side with masking tape so it won't mar the muzzle.

I made my one-sided (flat) patch knife from an anvil pruning shear blade.

Experience is a wonderful thing - It lets you recognize a mistake, when you make it again.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    +1
    + another 1

Boolit Master
    I have deep fried patch material in Crisco, as well as used moose milk when at the range. I have a little custom knife made by a friend of mine for a patch knife. For hunting I do not use a spit patch, as there is a possibility of it drying out and not doing what it is supposed to do. For target and range shooting it's fine.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123