RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rem 700 Rebarrel Question

In Remembrance

Just my .02. Although it is a fine thing to fix a problem yourself, there comes a time to swallow your pride and find a professional to look at the problem and fix it.Robert

Get a SOLID metal follower, not the stamped sheet metal one then you can grind it to better match the fatter round. I did this with a 6 BR. in a 722 action. Put a spacer in the mag box like in the 222 mag box.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When you have a barrel threaded, fit and chambered, you get what you paid for. If you want a gunsmith to do the function work, that will cost more, and he was right in not doing the work not specifically asked for.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

That magazine should feed .222, .223, .222 magnum, .17 Rem, .204 Ruger, and possibly .221 Fire Ball unaltered. That gunsmith didn't finish the job. The rifle went in a repeater and came out a single shot? Oh hell no. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    When you have a barrel threaded, fit and chambered, you get what you paid for. If you want a gunsmith to do the function work, that will cost more, and he was right in not doing the work not specifically asked for.
    Okay, but... He never mentioned before accepting the work that it would no longer feed from the magazine. He didn't tell me that it would no longer feed from the magazine when he returned it to me.

One other thing that I had not previously mentioned was that the new barrel wasn't properly chambered when I got it back. It was leaving a very pronounced step/ring in the brass about 1/3 of the way down the body. He had to re-ream it. I'm not convinced it's the follower, and hoping that it's something that can be fixed without having to buy a new barrel. I don't know how much "material" is still available in the barrel if this whole thing has to get redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That magazine should feed .222, .223, .222 magnum, .17 Rem, .204 Ruger, and possibly .221 Fire Ball unaltered. That gunsmith didn't finish the job. The rifle went in a repeater and came out a single shot? Oh hell no. My .02
    I believe you're right on that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Sometimes the back of the chamber needs a small radius so the cartridge does not hang up when entering the chamber.
    John is correct. Do this and it will feed.

I would see if the end of the breech has a little 45 degree angle cut on it so the case will ride up on it and into the chamber, all the end of chamber needs is a slight radius so the case wont get scratched as it enters the chamber. If the angle on the end of the breech is not wide enough that will cause some feeding problems.

If he is still local and still in business, I would revisit him. Apparently he took a good action, possibly trued it, possibly let it, installed an expensive Barrel, messed up the chamber job, and converted it from a bolt-action repeater into a bolt-action single-shot that doesn't feed correctly. I doubt that he is still in business. It ain't even mine and I'm mad about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12