RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rem 700 Rebarrel Question

Rem 700 Rebarrel Question

About 7-8 years ago, I decided to have my Rem 700 204 Ruger rebarreled in 223 for F-T/R shooting. I picked up a Krieger barrel and took the rifle to a local gunsmith who came highly recommended. In addition to the barrel swap, I had the action trued and lugs lapped.

The only thing that didn't work out as I planned is the rifle will not feed from the magazine (stock BDL mag) now. I asked the smith about it, and he said "No, it won't feed from the magazine now". My next question should have been "Why not?", but I didn't ask.

So why won't it, and should it?

Boolit Buddy

I haven't looked at one but I would wonder why not as well. The two rounds are very similar, overall length is the same although diameter is slightly different. Possibly just a little opening work on the receiver rails, feed ramp and magazine follower should correct it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Does it not feed from the mag at all or is it hanging up going from the mag to the chamber?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    As rockrat asked, how is it malfunctioning?

As far as I'm concerned this "highly recommended gunsmith" did not finish the job. Unless it was part of the customizing work and you wanted a single shot, everything should be functioning correctly when it leaves the shop.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Could be a lot of things but it should feed. Sometimes the back of the chamber needs a small radius so the cartridge does not hang up when entering the chamber. I just did a 722 in 7.62X25 which will not feed from the mag because the cartridge is way shorter than the 222 that it came in. I had to bevel the mouth of the chamber quite a bit even tho it is a single shot.

Boolit Buddy
    A "highly recommended" gunsmith would have corrected the problem as part of the job.
    Domari Nolo

The bolt will strip a round, but the nose of the bullet is driven straight into back of the chamber. Probably needs what John Taylor posted about.

I'm hoping to get it into someone else's hands at some point and see if I can have it corrected.

Boolit Grand Master

Try and find a follower for 223 ( followers are cartridge specific for certain calibers) it may be a simple follower swap. Case body taper makes a big difference in feeding from the mags. Modifying the follower can be tried yourself as its a easy to replace inexpensive part. Rails if not done right require welding to build back up and that gets expensive. another option might be converting to a removeable magazine and floor plate trigger guard.

Thanks, CG!

Banned
    Don't get carried away with radiusing the back of the chamber. If the bolt/barrel gap is excessive, then a big radius, you're getting close to the end of the case web.

Boolit Grand Master

I usually break the sharp edge on the chamber with a brass ball and fine lapping compound on it. This gives a nice burr free edge and a lot of control on what your doing. Ive had new guns that shaved brass at this edge I had to do this to even.

Boolit Master

I believe Country Gent nailed the simplest fix. If that doesn't work, you can pick up a single shot follower.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Possibly right. 204 Ruger and 223 Rem have same bolt face, but not the same parent case. Didn't really think about that. It could be that simple.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not the same parent case but close. Radius the back of the chamber a bit and bevel the back end of the barrel. That might do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Not the same parent case but close. Radius the back of the chamber a bit and bevel the back end of the barrel. That might do it.
    Thank you.

To be honest, I've not taken a very close look at it. About the same time I was having the work done, I was transitioning from F-T/R into Sporting Clays. I only have 83 rounds through it since the rebarrel was done, and I haven't fired it in about 7 years.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    Don't get carried away with radiusing the back of the chamber. If the bolt/barrel gap is excessive, then a big radius, you're getting close to the end of the case web.
    That will work. I just hit it with a piece of 400 grit, break the edge, and done.

Boolit Bub
    Excellent suggestions.
    I too would slowly feed the cartridge and see exactly where it is hitting, and why. Spring pressure could be a factor, if the follower is working as it should.
    The light breaking of the edge on the edge of the chamber will help, but if the bullet is striking the face of the barrel then the cartridge already has a poor angle of entry due to the cartridge ramp, follower alignment, or magazine spring pressure.
    Look closely as to what the angle of entry is, and why it is riding so high, or low, or to the side. I think this is more a mechanical issue than otherwise, but it is hard to diagnose without seeing the rifle in person.
    In my experience, Remingtons do not usually require a forcing cone cut on the end of the chamber, but yours might be a different set up. Another thing you might check is that the bottom metal and magazine box are firmly seating into the rifle, and not riding proud in the stock. If the magazine box is not inserted properly, it will ride lower and will change the feed angle of the cartridge.
    Let us know how it turns out please. You have definitely raised my curiosity.
    Oh, and find another gunsmith. This one should have fixed this before you ever got it back, imho.
    re

Quote Originally Posted by Red Elk View Post
    Excellent suggestions.
    I too would slowly feed the cartridge and see exactly where it is hitting, and why. Spring pressure could be a factor, if the follower is working as it should.
    The light breaking of the edge on the edge of the chamber will help, but if the bullet is striking the face of the barrel then the cartridge already has a poor angle of entry due to the cartridge ramp, follower alignment, or magazine spring pressure.
    Look closely as to what the angle of entry is, and why it is riding so high, or low, or to the side. I think this is more a mechanical issue than otherwise, but it is hard to diagnose without seeing the rifle in person.
    In my experience, Remingtons do not usually require a forcing cone cut on the end of the chamber, but yours might be a different set up. Another thing you might check is that the bottom metal and magazine box are firmly seating into the rifle, and not riding proud in the stock. If the magazine box is not inserted properly, it will ride lower and will change the feed angle of the cartridge.
    Let us know how it turns out please. You have definitely raised my curiosity.
    Oh, and find another gunsmith. This one should have fixed this before you ever got it back, imho.
    re
    Thank you for some great info!

This one is in my dad's safe, otherwise I would have pulled it out and taken a look at it by now. I'm sure that whatever it is is solvable.

Boolit Grand Master

Just my 2 cents worth:
    The Remington 700's are designed to be as modular as possible. The same action will feed 30-06, 8mm Mauser, 300 winmag, and 458 Winmag, simply by using the correct combination of magazine box and follower. It is rarely wise to EVER mess with the feed ramp, or rails of a rifle, as these features have very little to do with feeding as long as you understand the principles of how the cartridges stack and how they strip. Use the wrong follower, and the rifle will either hold the cartridge for too long, or let it go too soon.
    BTW, it bears mentioning that there is a reason the original Mauser holds 5 rounds in the box, while the Remington only holds 4 (3 if magnum). Remington made the compromise to gain versatility which allowed them to stomp the competition by making only two (at first) flagship actions and letting the burden of caliber changes fall to easily manufactured, stamped metal parts.
    Your rifle should be able to easily feed from the magazine if you replace/install these two parts:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/824320A
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/86210E
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I would think the factory mag box and follower for .223 and .204 would be exactly the same. The .204 is based on the .222 Magnum. They all came from the .222 case head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast