Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: JES Rebore

Boolit Master

JES Rebore

I shot my Win M94 today that just got back from Jesse yesterday and couldn't be more impressed or happier with the results. I had bought the 94 a year or so ago from a friend I shoot with. He had bought it sight unseen for $200, fired 5 or 6 rounds and said he didn't know why he got it because he had no use for it and didn't want a lever action or 30 30. I asked how much he wanted for it and he said just what he had in it. It shot OK but not impressive so I shot it very little. Then I heard about JES and thought I had nothing to lose so sent it off to become a 38 55. WOW! The rifle shoots much better than before, turn around was fast, and the cost reasonable. I used 19gr of 4198 behind the Lyman 375248 in Winchester brass. It held it's accuracy for the entire 50 rounds as that's all I had. Any one contemplating a rebore from JES need not hesitate.

I had Jesse Ocumpah (JES) bore my Marlin 336W to .375 Winchester several years ago. He did an excellent job and had the rifle back to me in less than a week, though I only live about 100 miles from him. He takes pride in his work, and is reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Vendor Sponsor

JES Did a remington 700 7-08 to 358 win for me. It's deadly accurate. I'm very very pleased
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I had Jesse rebore a Marlin 30AS to 356W, cut the barrel and get rid of the front barrel band in favor of a dovetail hanger. Great work, fast and fair price.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had him do 4 bolt rifles so far and all shoot moa or better. 2 in 338-06. A 375 whelen and a 35 whelen

Banned
    To All,

I could not be more pleased with my Remington Model 760 rebored to 9.3x62 Mauser. = I'm beginning to think that we need to form a JES FAN CLUB, as I've never met an UN-satisfied customer of Jesse's.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    I've heard nothing but good about him here, and I plan on sending a few projects his way pretty soon. Out of curiosity, how much material does he need? If I was to do something like send him a .308" barrel and have it rebored to .338, would the standard thin "sport" barrel that comes on most bolt actions be enough to work with?

Boolit Master

He did a Mod '94 30/30 for me last year to 38/55. I got the 3 groove option. It shoots the Lee 250 grainer very well. I use 17 gr IMR 4227 for about 1350fps.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I've heard nothing but good about him here, and I plan on sending a few projects his way pretty soon. Out of curiosity, how much material does he need? If I was to do something like send him a .308" barrel and have it rebored to .338, would the standard thin "sport" barrel that comes on most bolt actions be enough to work with?
    Your best bet would be to contact him directly and ask him. He's been doing this long enough to know what works and what doesn't. Here's his website: http://www.35caliber.com/index.html

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I will try your load T-Bird. I have used a very similar load in a single shot 38-55 and it does quite well. Thanks

After reading testimonials like those above; a year or so ago I sent a Rem 700 .243 to become a .358. 3 grooves of barrel sweetness. I haven't tried many loads because the first ones tried are so accurate. My idea of a big game rifle- light, accurate, and powerful. Call me fanboy. If I end up with another 30-30 lever it will become a 38-55 by JES!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 336 Marlin in 38/55 rebored from 30/30 done by JES.It shoots the RCBS 37-250-GC very well.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post

Out of curiosity, how much material does he need ?

If I was to do something like send him a .308" barrel and have it rebored to .338, would the standard thin "sport" barrel that comes on most bolt actions be enough to work with ?

Jes, and the other re-bore folks I've spoken with, will not re-bore a barrel that doesn't have a barrel wall thickness (NOT muzzle OD) of .125" AFTER the re-bore.

.338" + .125" + .125" = .588" (minimum).

That translates to a safe muzzle OD of .600" for a .338 bore. (larger bores, like to .358", translate to .610" for safety)

So, I couldn't have my .30-06 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight re-bored to .35 Whelan because the muzzle OD was only .500" - unless I wanted to cut the barrel length down even further than the issue 22" (to make the minimum bbl wall thickness), which wasn't acceptable to me.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride