Load DataWidenersPBcastcoInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Appeal for Peace

Boolit Master

Appeal for Peace

Gentlemen,
    We are blessed to have this forum to celebrate and ponder the surpassing mysteries of our Lord Jesus Christ. As we bear the weight of glory yoked together for eternity can we not let peace reign in in the midst of our discussions? I pray so. In that vein I offer this song (with lyrics) for your consideration. Create in me a clean heart O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QgeDwo1Chu0
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Thanks for the reminder, let peace reign

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Hogtamer I salute your post as a reminder of the purpose of this place.
    It is for the building up of the body of Christ.

Amen brother, well said! Good on you Hogtamer!

Thank you, Hogtamer. May we all go in Peace.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Banned

I am not surprised that the sub-forum has caused problems. I endevor to keep it civil and to edify here and will continue to do so. This is an example of a great thread.

Boolit Master

I agree. I was one who asked to have this forum and am uncertain it was a wise request given what I've read.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus

Any time folks say what they're really thinking, there'll be some dissension. But I doubt it's anything the regulars here can't handle well. It really doesn't matter that we may disagree on some point, however fine or coarse it might be. God is a HUGE entity, and I doubt any one of us is given to see His totality. Thus, we truly "see through the glass darkly." But we DO all agree that if one doesn't have a very personal experience with our Lord, they're missing the greatest solace, satisfaction and illumination we'll ever find in this world. And with our limited ability to truly understand ALL that many verses mean .... well, it's inevitable that some of us will perceive it one way, while another may see it differently.

But THAT is the true value of discussion, and maybe interdisciplinary discussion. Much of what we argue about between the denominations is largely, if not wholly, based on a misunderstanding of what's meant by what's said. I have long tried to discern the other side's points, but can be quite dense at times. But I have long also been rather perturbed when others jump the gun and disparage others' views on the basis of their own personal theology. It's just what we willful human beings do, and do very consistently at that.

But we don't HAVE to, and we CAN catch ourselves before we show our less than optimal side. And we all have one, and with all the evil and lack of understanding, and sometimes even of intent to do good, how could we not inevitably find others hold views opposing our own?

If we take it as an opportunity to re-examine our own views, rather than for simply arguing, we will ALL profit by it. Calm discussion by folks in disunion about a matter is STILL possible. It just requires something from us we're not customarily called upon to show - our better natures.

After all, if we don't or won't hear others, how can we learn from them? And if we refuse to do that, what's the purpose of discussion anyway???? Then too, I've never learned anything new or better or deeper from folks who think just like me. It's always been folks who had the great respect to DISagree with me who've either firmed up my own beliefs, or taught me something I'd never quite seen that way before. Either way, we learn, and profit, but ONLY if we listen and really hear what the other side is saying. That's not very typical of how things work today, but this isn't a very typical group of folks, either.

So I'm 100% with keeping it civil, even (or maybe especially?) when we disagree with each other. I've learned WAY too much from folks who saw things differently from me for me to think I'm the be-all, end-all of theological discussions. And the wisest folks I've ever spoken with were those who related things as THEIR take on it, and NOT the "last word." They kept that old saw about "seeing through the glass darkly" close to their hearts. I'll always respect that type of approach, simply because it IS respectable. I respect a good, give and take argument above most any other verbal endeavor. It's simply how we CAN learn, if we will just let ourselves do so.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Bump to the top for some good words!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

LOML is a musician - Be Still My Soul is one of her favorites. This version is a hit with her and myself both. First time either of us have heard it. Thank You Hogtamer. BTW, the Prestonwood Choir version is equally good.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

For myself, being a recent born again Christian I enjoyed this thread. As for PEACE in the world, it is never going to happen until the return of Christ. JMHO

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rafe,

I am also a recent Christian. We may not have peace in the world but we can promote peace in our dealings with others. Be they our family, members of our church, friends, on-line in forums like this, and with strangers.

It has to start somewhere, let it start with us.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Rafe,

I am also a recent Christian. We may not have peace in the world but we can promote peace in our dealings with others. Be they our family, members of our church, friends, on-line in forums like this, and with strangers.

It has to start somewhere, let it start with us.
    That’s the ONLY peace you’ll ever know in this life.
    It’s sad that such a worthy goal (world peace) is not only a joke but an impossibility.

Boolit Master
    Mat 10:34

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.For I have come to turn “ ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
    a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’

And what do you make of this scripture.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    To me the basic choice comes down to Mathew 15 :1-9.
    We all have the right to choose what will be the path we walk. Doctrine of men or doctrine of God. Teach and adhere to the Bible or traditions of men / religions. Eternity awaits each of us.
    John 5:39 and Acts 17:11 pretty well size it up for me. The Bible is my Book of Faith and Practice.
    I respect your right to choose. I even signed my name on a document and gave 3 years 22 days to defend your right to choose. Just do not expect me to agree. Daniel 3:13-18 also becons me to choose my future.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Mat 10:34

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.For I have come to turn “ ‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
    a man’s enemies will be the members of his own

And what do you make of this scripture.
    I believe this passage points to the tough choices one must make if their devotion and loyalty to God is not shared by their family. 10-37 in Matthew may help us understand.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Point, if your speaking where the Bible speaks, your going to make enemies.

Boolit Master

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." Romans 12:18.

It is possible to share the Gospel in a peaceful way.

"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..." 1 Peter 3:15

Jesus and Paul appealed to people by first expounding on the goodness of God and then expressing what was required in response to that love.

Many Christians attempt to sanctify sinners by pointing out their errors and telling them they are going to hell. This isn't being respectful, gentle, sowing peace or following the New Testament model.

All of this doesn't discount Jesus' warning that news of the Gospel wouldn't always be met with success or peace. But the aggression should be coming from the world, not the Christian.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    Point, if your speaking where the Bible speaks, your going to make enemies.
    Not always.....

My two closest friends are Christians and I was an atheist. This strange friendship had lasted many years. One asked me to help his wife with his gun related things should he pass even while I as an atheist...and he knew many Christians.

I could have viewed them as foolish for believing in the Bible (as many atheists do), but I saw what good men they were and did not care. They took me into their lives as a trusted friend even though I was not a believer.

They were the first I told when I accepted Christ. They were part of the reason I became a Christian. Part of God’s plan I surmise.

We can make enemies of non believers or lead by example. But we can never compromise our faith in order to appease our friends and family. And if they wish to make us enemies, that is their doing, not ours. We will love them anyway.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    We can make enemies of non believers or lead by example. But we can never compromise our faith in order to appease our friends and family. And if they wish to make us enemies, that is their doing, not ours. We will love them anyway.

This is well said, and what I was talking about. The compromising thing especially.

I have read that if you really want an example of this, find a Hindu woman who has converted to Christ!