Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Graf & SonsADvertise here
StainLess Steel MediaTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Reloader 12 Can't find load data

  1. #1
    Boolit Master



    retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,017

    Reloader 12 Can't find load data

    I was given 9 lbs of Reloader 12. I can't seem to find any load data for it. Alliant doesn't even list it as available anymore. Anyone familiar with this powder? Good for 270, 30-30, 30/06, 30/40, etc?

  2. #2
    Moderator Emeritus


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SW Montana
    Posts
    9,500
    Pet Loads by Ken Waters did a write up on it of you have access to that great book.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

  3. #3
    Boolit Master JBinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Goodhue County, Minnesota
    Posts
    484
    I have a Speer Reloading Manual #11 that has a limited listing of Reloder12 load data. [Pages 455-458]
    It says at the time of publication that it was a new powder(1987).
    The calibers listed are 222 Rem./22-250/243 Win./ 250 Savage/257 Roberts / 25-06 Rem. /7x30 Waters/7x57 Mauser/308 Win(7.62NATO)/30-06.
    With load data for some cartridges for each.

    If you would like, you can PM me with your address & I will see about having the pages of the manual scanned & I will mail the copies to ya.

    Another location that offers loads for Reloder12 is here:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...okup-by-powder


    There are likely more, but I would suggest going through the list here in this topic & see what ya might find:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources



    G'Luck!

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    712

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    jrmartin1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Plantersville, MS
    Posts
    308
    It would seem that Rx-12 was discontinued after 2000, but I found these over on the Castpics site:
    Alliant Reloader's Guide 1995:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...54-alliant1995

    Alliant Reloader's Guide 1996:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...55-alliant1996

    Alliant Reloader's Guide 2000:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...56-alliant2000

    These reloading guides, and quite a few others from a number of powder manufacturers, are available for online viewing or download in PDF format here:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...ompany-manuals

    If you haven't visited Castpics (there's a link at the bottom of every page here on Cast Boolits), there's a ton of information just waiting to be discovered.


  6. #6
    Boolit Master



    retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,017
    Thanks fellows. I had gone to Castpics and did the lookup by powder but only found a load for 308 and 30/06, both 180 grain bullet loads. Thanks for the other suggestions. Always wonder why some powders are discontinued. I am sure it is primarily the lack of sales but why the lack is another question.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master



    retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmartin1964 View Post
    It would seem that Rx-12 was discontinued after 2000, but I found these over on the Castpics site:
    Alliant Reloader's Guide 1995:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...54-alliant1995

    Alliant Reloader's Guide 1996:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...55-alliant1996

    Alliant Reloader's Guide 2000:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...56-alliant2000

    These reloading guides, and quite a few others from a number of powder manufacturers, are available for online viewing or download in PDF format here:
    http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...ompany-manuals

    If you haven't visited Castpics (there's a link at the bottom of every page here on Cast Boolits), there's a ton of information just waiting to be discovered.
    I tried your links and the Title page come up but I just get a blank page. I have trouble with the Castpics website with things not coming up. Often I get a message about long running scripts and even though I wait a long time nothing comes up. I wonder if I lack some type of programming that enable it to work.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    oldblinddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    643
    Those links are to nothing more than the cover. Clicking "next" takes you to the cover for the following year.
    USMC 6638

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    jrmartin1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Plantersville, MS
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Those links are to nothing more than the cover. Clicking "next" takes you to the cover for the following year.
    There's a scroll bar just on the right side of the image that comes up, allows you to scroll to the next page, and the next, and the next...
    OR, you can "right click" on the image and download the PDF to your computer.


  10. #10
    Boolit Master Cap'n Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    947
    Reloader 12 is listed in the Quickload program.

    I ran a test for a 270 Win with a 130 grains bullet and 48 grains of RL 12 although it's a bit on the fast side for this caliber/weight. The pressure was 60.800 psi. I then tried same powder weight with different US brands of powder to find those which came closest in pressure. The following three came close, but slightly below RL 12. Still, it should give you a good indication of when to use RL 12. It would be the perfect powder for a 308 Win with a 180 grains bullet

    Accurate 2460 = 56.500 psi
    Hodgdon H335 = 59.200 psi
    IMR 4895 = 55.500 psi
    Cap'n Morgan

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    jrmartin1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Plantersville, MS
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I tried your links and the Title page come up but I just get a blank page. I have trouble with the Castpics website with things not coming up. Often I get a message about long running scripts and even though I wait a long time nothing comes up. I wonder if I lack some type of programming that enable it to work.
    Same thing happens to me from time to time, but you can "right click" on the image and download the PDF to your computer


  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Posts
    208
    I've been a fan of Reloder 12 powder since the mid nineties. Started using it in my .300 Savages and branched out from there. When the announcement was made of it's discontinuance I went out and bought 19 pounds of RL-12, all in Lot#012. I have discovered it is THE powder for use in the .300 Savage, .35 Remington, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen, and 30-06. Surprisingly it tuned out rather ho-hum in all my .308 Winchesters producing sub par velocities and so-so accuracy. Maybe another lot # would have been more to the liking of those .308's but se la vey. I've eaten a lot of Pennsylvania venison put in my freezer using RL-12 reloads.

    358 Win

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check