MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Neck sizing bushing to size boolits?

Boolit Buddy

Neck sizing bushing to size boolits?

I made a sizing die for sizing my 32-40 boolits and sneaking up on the inside diameter of the die was challenging. I successfully made the die copying the design of the Lee type sizers. However, I remembered the neck bushings from Redding I use to make 20 Practical cases from .223 and I wondered if anyone has used the neck sizers to be incorporated in a homemade die for cast boolit sizing. Has anyone tried that? Is the lead in the neck bushing tapered enough to permit boolit sizing in such a contraption? The benefit would be the interchangeability and experimentation with different diameter bushings. What are your thoughts?

Boolit Master

NOE makes a bushing system that includes nose sizers:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...fqdub6h8n3hd23

Boolit Master

Fishoot:

For push through boolit sizing I have both Lee and NOE Push through sizers which work well.

I also use Neck Bushings to size boolits (particularly nose sizing a boolit). I place a suitable size Lee Boolit sizing die in the press; then use a suitable size Lee Base punch; then place a Sizing Bushing over the nose of the Boolit and adjust the Sizing bushing to be flush/parallel with the bottom of the Lee sizer die and with the nose centered; then press the boolit through for base band sizing. In the case of nose sizing; I do the same but adjust to where the boolit stops at the intersection of the top band and the Sizing Bushing so only the nose is sized down - then lift the ram and rotate 180 degrees to eject the boolit from the Sizing Bushing.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I dont think there is enough taper in a bushing to act like a Lyman sizer. I have both.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishoot View Post
    I made a sizing die for sizing my 32-40 boolits and sneaking up on the inside diameter of the die was challenging. I successfully made the die copying the design of the Lee type sizers. However, I remembered the neck bushings from Redding I use to make 20 Practical cases from .223 and I wondered if anyone has used the neck sizers to be incorporated in a homemade die for cast boolit sizing. Has anyone tried that? Is the lead in the neck bushing tapered enough to permit boolit sizing in such a contraption? The benefit would be the interchangeability and experimentation with different diameter bushings. What are your thoughts?
    It is what i use to size bore rider bullets. I have made several by annealing an old .223 seating die and boring a 1/2" hole about half way through. I then thread all but the bottom 1/2" of the hole for a bolt to act as the retainer for the bushing. Then a hole for a knockout punch is drilled through the remainder of the die and the bushing retainer bolt. the bushing is then ground and polished to increase the lead in angle. As received it is too sharp and shears off oversized portion of bullet rather than swagging it to size. I open up the end opposite the sizing indication to be used as the "in" direction for bushing, the other end will also require some slope increase or the bullets tend to be locked in when driven out by the nose punch which will require disassembly of the die holder and drilling out the bullet. It only takes one of these to teach not to hit nose punch very hard. If you take your time and follow the procedures it is not an issue. Using the redding bushings works very well and is not expensive to get set up doing. It is worth doing and does a good job. I have shoot multiple thousands of 30 cal and 6mm sized with this method.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Bama! That's what I hoped to find. How do you grind the taper in the bushing? What tools do you use for that?

Boolit Buddy
    Fishoot, I chuck the bushing in lathe and use a dermel in a tool holder with a small stone to set the taper the I use dermel by hand with a rubber/abrasive tip to polish area where taper meets bushing bore. You just about have to do a small taper on each end or you will peal lead pushing boolit back through