WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Boolit Grand Master
    In 45 ACP, both .452" and .454; shot very well in the Glock 21's OEM barrel. Alloy was 92/6/2, lube was Javelina 50/50, all boolit designs had conventional lube grooves. These boolits were Lymans #452374 and #452460, Lees 230 TC and 200 SWC. All boolits went into the hundreds with round count; there was no discernible leading present.

My theory--such as it is--the 45 ACP is a generally lead-friendly caliber anyway. 9mm--40 S&W--and 10mm are more hostile environments for cast bullets, being more akin to rifle conditions (high pressures, fast twists) than to handgun conditions. To date, I have "chickened out" from using lead boolits in Glock 9mm and 40 S&W barrels, and have opted for aftermarket barrels featuring conventional (and slower twist) rifling forms and fully-supported chamber designs. This is NOT a recommendation or advice--it is just my mode of operation that flows from an abundance of caution and laziness. I don't want to re-shoot and re-test my daughters' 9mm and 40 S&W Glocks as extensively as I did the G-21.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Understand. What's the twist rate of the Glock 9mm, if anyone knows? I'm too lazy to check right now. LOL!

I read somewhere on here that the 9mm chamber isn't as unsupported as the 40 s&w chamber. Did I read that right?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    Understand. What's the twist rate of the Glock 9mm, if anyone knows? I'm too lazy to check right now. LOL! (4 turns per meter, or 1-9.75")

I read somewhere on here that the 9mm chamber isn't as unsupported as the 40 s&w chamber. Did I read that right? (That is my understanding also)
    Dunno if this will work......
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    1-9.75" is FAST! I wonder what for? Most .357 magnums are 1-16 - 1-20 and they stabilize 180's just fine.

Boolit Master

In my experience the 9mm is indeed tighter chambered than their older 40s. I have heard that the newer 40s have chambers that are tightened up somewhat, I don't know.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    How many of you are successfully shooting softer lead in your 9mm Glocks? By softer I mean 8-10 bhn. I don't have a Glock but am thinking about getting one. A 125-130 grain boolit at 900-950 fps sounds about right to me, and I would like to be able to do it with air-cooled 50/50 alloy, which for me runs 8-9 bhn.
    I've had good success with the MP 125 HP mold air cooled and sized to .358 in my factory 26 barrel. Heavier boolits require a harder alloy to help reduce swaging due to case taper on the longer boolits. You'll have to figure out what works in your gun.

I read somewhere on here that the 9mm chamber isn't as unsupported as the 40 s&w chamber. Did I read that right?
    I found the opposite to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    I have heard that the newer 40s have chambers that are tightened up somewhat, I don't know.

Cat
    I haven't seen any difference in the gen 4 chambers compared to the gen 3's and that's from a pretty decent sample size (100+ of each type). They all leave a pretty good size smile on the brass.

Boolit Master

Jailer,

That's good to know about the 40s chambers, thanks. I had just repeated what I had read and had no idea if it was true or not.

Cat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    I've had good success with the MP 125 HP mold air cooled and sized to .358 in my factory 26 barrel.
    I have the same mold. What velocity and powder usage is that load of yours at?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Not a Glock but I have fired a few hundred cast boolits out of my CZ82 ((mm makarov w/polygonal barrel) and have had no leading to speak of.
    I use liquid alox, and a hard cast 95gr bullet.
    I have fired over a 1000 rounds of commercial cast lead out of my CZ82 with zero leading.

Boolit Master
    I have the same mold. What velocity and powder usage is that load of yours at?
    Not sure on velocity but they were loaded pretty tame with a 3.0gr load of titegroup.

i shot plenty of cast through my Glock 17 before I traded in for my Beretta 92. The accuracy was horrible, but it didn't really have any ill effects otherwise. I then got a KKM barrel, which has standard rifling, and it shot great. The only safety concern with Glocks is the 40S&W can really disagree with the unsupported chambers (my Lyman manual has that in bold print), but the chamber issue has supposedly been fixed on the gen4 models. If you're going to reload 40 in general, i would say invest the extra cash into a bulge buster and FCD. it adds time to your process but also it adds quality.
    bottom line: from my experience, get an aftermarket barrel for the range to shoot lead out of a Glock and you won't degrade your accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by nessus View Post
    I have fired over a 1000 rounds of commercial cast lead out of my CZ82 with zero leading.
    i've also fired a few hundred rounds of cast thru my cz82 with no problems. accuracy was great too. I was using 3.3gr Red Dot under a 105gr LFP boolit. great article here http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Makarov.htm

Boolit Mold
    I have a glock 20 and have fired more than 2000 rounds with cast and 9 grains of blue dot and have never had a leading problem and it shoots fine.

Boolit Bub
    I've a Glock Gen 3 model 23. I long since replaced the factory barrel. Shooting reloads and factory glock barrels are a bad combination to begin with. In addition, Glock doesn't recommend lead bullets in their barrels! The factory chambers are oversize so they will feed anything and everything thrown at them. This is good for a combat designed pistol. In addition, the cartridge head isn't fully supported. In a high pressure round like the 40, repeated working of the brass because of this and the sloppy chamber will eventually cause a blow-up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	79025

Do yourselves a favor and pony up for a good fully supported barrel with a tight(er) chamber.

Name:	SupportedVsUnsupportedGlock.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	79026
    Last edited by ben lurkin; 08-12-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ben lurkin View Post
    I've a Glock Gen 3 model 23. I long since replaced the factory barrel. Shooting reloads and factory glock barrels are a bad combination to begin with. In addition, Glock doesn't recommend lead bullets in their barrels! The factory chambers are oversize so they will feed anything and everything thrown at them. This is good for a combat designed pistol. In addition, the cartridge head isn't fully supported. In a high pressure round like the 40, repeated working of the brass because of this and the sloppy chamber will eventually cause a blow-up.

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	79025

Do yourselves a favor and pony up for a good fully supported barrel with a tight(er) chamber.

Name:	SupportedVsUnsupportedGlock.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	79026
    Ben, if you read the entire thread, you'll see that many of us routinely shoot lead in out glocks. The warnings glock puts in the destructions, is lawyer speak for their own protection. No firearms manufactures say it's okay yo use ANY reloaded ammo. Since there are almost no factory loaded lead ammo, then they're saying no lead reloads. Reloaded ammo voids all warranties!

Posting a picture of a blown up glock proves what???¿¿¿ An overload is an overload, no matter what bullet/boolit is used!

Also generation 3 and 4 glocks have more support in the chambers, the feed ramp is redesigned to give more support at the back-bottom of the chamber.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Snuffy,

Don't try and confuse him with facts. He know what he knows and that's all he needs to know.

Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Snuffy,

Don't try and confuse him with facts. He know what he knows and that's all he needs to know.

Cat
    Well said.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master

For 9MM I size to .358 in the G19. I tried .356 and the bullets would key hole and tumble. So bad that they were hitting the logs we were firing at and bouncing back at us. And there was leading. I recently just shot some cast Lee 120gr. TC out of my brother's G19 sized @.358 and they did fine with no leading. Used the Glock plastic brush to knock the carbon out of the barrel and it was shiny like new. For my G36 I size to .452. It eats up the Lee 230gr. TC like candy. The only problem I have is buildup of lube sometimes. No leading, no over pressure. Both 9 and 45 loads are real accurate too.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Bub
    I have shot thousands of rounds of lead through my gen 1 G17 and a few hundred through my G30 with no issues. That being said I will be switching to plated bullets for piece of mind

Here is a picture of the case support for three versions of Glocks. The latest version supports the case as well as any gun I have seen.

[
    Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast