MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Boolit Master
    I tried .359 sized 147gr bullets in my factory barrel but got horrible leading, it was only tumble lubed though. Never had any success with that... I since got an aftermarket barrel and now I size to .356 and lube with felix lube + extra carnauba. Did 50 rounds last weekend and there was zero leading, shiny bore infact.

I should try these in the factory barrel as well to see if they work as well in that. Still the new barrel stays, it's threaded for a reason

Boolit Buddy
    If I were you, I would try the .356 147s in the factory barrel for sure.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master

Well I can now report sucess with my G19 and G37.

The boolits need to be both oversized by .001 to .0015 and water dropped wheel weights. I suspect that my WW is lacking in elements that it should have as it doesn't get to be more than about 12 BNH after water dropping.

But, it will then do the job and shoot accurately and without leading.

I'm a happy camper!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

I loaded some store bought 147gr BBTC that were supposed to be "hard cast" (I think they were .356 diameter) for my gen 4 G17 a couple years back. Powder was Titegroup, around 5grs. I loaded them hotter and they keyholed at 25yds. Don't remember leading being a problem, just poor accuracy. Never bought anymore and switched to plated bullets. They were more accurate and cost the same. Now I've gotten into casting my own and got a G27 last fall. My only regret about buying it was I didn't get a mold at the same time. Now none are available anywhere! I will shoot lead in my Glock and I also will keep it clean. If you use your brain and take care of your stuff like you should, you won't have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
    ...............the factory didn't recommend it and he didn't either. That sealed the deal for me! I have priced aftermarket barrels with standard rifling and they're fairly cheap ($100-140). When I decide to shoot cast bullets in a Glock, that's the way I'll do it.

Flash
    I agree 100%.

Glock says no cast boolits in their barrels for a reason....why tempt fate?
    ~Charlie U.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie U. View Post
    I agree 100%.

Glock says no cast boolits in their barrels for a reason....why tempt fate?
    If you haven't done it don't knock it.

I like the Springfield xd better. More natural point of aim no leading very accurate for me.

Banned

That something can be done in contradiction to the manufacturer's specific warning does not make it a sound practice. Between, the manufacturer, Glock, and a post in a thread, I tend to stick with the more knowledgeable source. An aftermarket barrel makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    If you haven't done it don't knock it.
    Maybe you misread me.....I didn't knock anyone or call anyone stupid.
    I was simply agreeing with ROGER4314 in saying I will not do it.

If you and others choose to act in direct contradiction to manufacturers recommendations that is entirely your choice. Good luck with that.
    ~Charlie U.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie U. View Post
    Maybe you misread me.....I didn't knock anyone or call anyone stupid.
    I was simply agreeing with ROGER4314 in saying I will not do it.

If you and others choose to act in direct contradiction to manufacturers recommendations that is entirely your choice. Good luck with that.
    How many firearms do you reload for? I'm thinking maybe 10% of the current firearm manufacturers recommend reloading for their products. That's where I'm coming from.

How many firearms do you reload for? I'm thinking maybe 10% of the current firearm manufacturers recommend reloading for their products. That's where I'm coming from.
    Not one of my manuals say reloading is O.K.

As you can see I listen well...

.......I'm thinking maybe 10% of the current firearm manufacturers recommend reloading for their products. That's where I'm coming from.
    Touche'.........you make a sound point with that one.
    ~Charlie U.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ACrowe25 View Post
    Not one of my manuals say reloading is O.K. :lol
    Exactly! You have some manufacturers that make competition guns and they expect handloads to be used. Bill Wilson used to name the loads he used, I assume his son is now OK with handloads in his guns. Nosler and Remington make reloading components so they should be good with the practice. Many firearm manuals say NOT to use reloaded ammo of any kind......"you spends your money and you takes your chances". If I had to buy a new barrel for any handgun to shoot my cast bullet handloads I wouldn't buy that gun, but that's just me......I have quite a few Glocks and no after market barrels.

Boolit Buddy
    Have a question to the folks shooting their own cast boolits in their glock 40's and 45 acp. What do you size both of these too? I've had problems with my g23 leading pretty bad on 25 rds and sized to .401. Same lead mix in my 45 acp bullets that I sized to .451 and have shoot about 300 rds with no problems until today. Possible some of these may have measured .450. Anybody using .452 with good results?

Boolit Buddy
    For my 40 S&W Glocks (22, 23, 24, and 35) I load 3.5 Bullseye under a 175 SWC sized .401 and 3.8 Clays under a 200 SWC sized .452 for my 21. Some guns will not run these light loads 100% right out of the box (my Gen4 35 was balky when new).

Boolit Master

I've shot cast from two calibers in Glocks: 9MM & 45 GAP. Both required one to two thousandth over bore and water dropping. Or they would lead excellently.

But others are getting no leading without hardening, so results vary.

As per usual, each firearm is a rule unto itself and your best results will come from listening to it.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    Well I had been shooting my g30 with no leading issues until at a IDPA match this past Sunday. Had bullets tumbling at 5yrds making jagged holes. All my bullets are run thru a Lee .451 sizer that I'd had no problems with but Monday night I got to suspecting it so I checked 90 bullets I had run thru the day before. All measured .450 and that's what my G30's barrel slugged out to. Looked into the die and it was crudded up with lead and lube, can't remember the last time I had cleaned it.
    So now I about to load some .452's that I just cast to see how they will run thru my Glock, the sizer is freshly cleaned.
    Oh, my .401 die was even worse!

Boolit Master
    If I were you, I would try the .356 147s in the factory barrel for sure.
    Well that's been tested and it was not much better. I did not expect it to at .356" which is for a match barrel. I should try it with some .359s but I would have to slather on the lube on an uncalibrated bullet by hand for that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    Well that's been tested and it was not much better. I did not expect it to at .356" which is for a match barrel. I should try it with some .359s but I would have to slather on the lube on an uncalibrated bullet by hand for that.
    Most of my 9mm Glocks do well (fairly accurate and very little to zero leading) with a .356 147 FN and 3.5 Unique.

Boolit Master
    How many of you are successfully shooting softer lead in your 9mm Glocks? By softer I mean 8-10 bhn. I don't have a Glock but am thinking about getting one. A 125-130 grain boolit at 900-950 fps sounds about right to me, and I would like to be able to do it with air-cooled 50/50 alloy, which for me runs 8-9 bhn.

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast