WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Boolit Master
    The boolits sized .357 worked flawlessly. I'll shoot up all the ones I have loaded that are .358 in my Ruger, then size all to .357...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm thinking about picking up the Arsenal 359-130-RF for my late model Glock 19 and 26. Planning to size to .357 and lube with Randy Rat's Tac-X. Anybody ever try this boolit or one similar in a Glock?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Man
    Ok guys.. I am interested in this thread but not interested in getting into a fight with glock owners.... I don't own one and am pretty sure I never will. but I reload for a lot of handguns and some rifles. I have been following this because a woman I know has a glock in 45 acp. She wants to get good with it but ammo here in California is really getting to be a pain. she had a mag with 4 rounds in it! that was it.

I gave her a box of 230 grain police HP rounds that I had a few boxes of because... even tho I shoot nothing but my own cast bullets and now coated... I was leery of giving her my cast loads with the whole lead bullet controversy. from reading this thread it seems the vast majority of you guys have little or no problems doing so. And.. that since the 45 acp is a low pressure round.... It should be especially safe? I will be spending some days with her showing her safety and shooting basic stuff. How to clean her gun (I guess I can look that up lol) and such. At this point... I am still erring to the side of caution. I Hi=Tek coat my bullets now so think that will also help? What I plan to do is take some cast and coated bullets and we can shoot 50 or so. then take the gun home and inspect and clean it. If I don't see any lead or anything that looks odd I am thinking I am good to go using those rounds in her gun?

There are two basic loads I like for my 1911's in 45 acp. one is a 200 grain cast SWC from a Lyman mold and the other is an Arsenal mold 230 grain round nose. The only glock 45 that I have tried (he tried) did not like the SWC round with mostly failures to feed. I did not bother to see why and maybe it just needed a little polish to feed well... I have easily fixed 1911's that did not feed that round.

Do any of you glock boys shoot the Lyman mold 200 grain SWC? I run mine around 950 fps or so.. . I use a Wilson flat spring on the 1911's which is of no interest except that it is a pound heavier... Do you glock guys play around with the recoil spring rate for different loads? I am seriously out of my element with these glock guns.

The main thing tho is to err to the side of caution in my opinion. Especially with a gun that is not mine.

lazs

Boolit Grand Master
    If by "Lyman 200 grain SWC" you mean #452460, then YES I have run it through a Glock 21 successfully. The slide cycle had a bit of a hiccup with it and with an H&G #68 clone (also a 200 grain SWC). These both were seated with .020" of the bullets' front drive bands above the case mouth. The Lee 230 grain truncated cone bullet fed flawlessly, also seated with .020" of front drive band exposed above the case mouths. Lyman #452374 fed wonderfully as well, this seated to "book" OAL of 1.265".

I ran about 100 of each of these 4 designs through the Glock, 50 sized at .452" and 50 sized at .454". After 200 rounds of .452" bullets, there was no evidence of lead deposits within the bore. Metal was 92/6/2 alloy. I cleaned the barrel with patches and solvent, and did my usual after-shooting frame and slide clean-out. Next came 200 rounds of bullets sized at .454"--again, zero leading and easy clean up. I had slugged the barrel prior to the test phase--its lobes measured .453" across the peaks and .449" across the flats, 8-sided in form. Javelina 50/50 BW/Alox lube was used in all loads.

I have meant to test the 10mm, 40 S&W, and 9mm Glocks we have here with castings in their OEM barrels, but have yet to get aroundtuit. I am pretty confident that 45 ACP Glocks are generally lead-friendly, because the caliber is quite lead-friendly--low pressures, gentle rifling twists, not much dimensional poetry in their barrels. The smaller caliber Glocks use a 6-sided bore form, so I have no idea about their lead/friendliness or the absence thereof. These other calibers all use 4 turns/meter twists (1-9.8") and run at far higher pressures.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lazs View Post
    She wants to get good with it but ammo here in California is really getting to be a pain.
    lazs
    I am not understanding one part of your post. She could afford a 44 mag but only four bullets? Now she has a 45acp and you can not find ammo? Is this what your saying? I am not busting your hoha's just asking as I am getting ready to ship a buddy his R1 from NYS to Cal. He does not cast or reload but does shoot a fair amount. Is he going to have issues getting ammo? .40-.50cents a round is standard for good 45acp. A box a week should get her on target and doing well. Anything over just having a 44 that sits with 4 bullets. Glock boys. Got to love it. You have an interesting way of asking for help Lazs.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Does your friend already own the pistol? Is that model on the California roster? If the answer to both questions is no, he may not be allowed to take possession of it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Does your friend already own the pistol? Is that model on the California roster? If the answer to both questions is no, he may not be allowed to take possession of it.
    Yes he owns it here in NYS. He said he should have his permit any day now in Cal. Its a full size 1911 I see no reason he can not have it.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I hope he gets it, gun laws over there change like the weather. Sounds like he went from one bad situation to another.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 04-20-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Boolit Master

lazs,

When I'm testing a boolit in a Glock, I fire one mag. Then push a dry patch down the bore. Glock bores have a glass smooth finish and leading is really easy to see. I've found that if it doesn't lead with 10-15 rounds it's good to go. I've also found that every one of my Glocks want water-dropped boolits or they lead.

I don't PC.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I don't pc. I lube all of my bullets with White Label Lubes carnauba red. I've had three Glocks, a 17, a 19 and a 30. All were Gen 4. I traded them or sold them, but they were the most dependable pistols I've owned. Thanks to neuropathy I got to where I couldn't break down the last one to clean it, nor shoot it accurately any more, so I sold it. However all of those pistols came and went with the original barrels and never did I get leading. They would gobble up anything that would fit into the chamber, the 9mm using a .358 sized boolit and the .45 using a .452 sized boolit. I've found that if you use the bullets sized .002 oversized it did better.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys.. I may have not been clear... her gun is a 45 acp glock.. not a 44 mag.. she only had 4 bullets cause that was what was in it when her ex turned it over and she is a bit clueless... which.. I am thinking I might be too.

Yes... I was thinking that the 45 acp would be especially cast friendly since it is low pressure.. .453 seems pretty big to me tho.. my 1911's all run .451-452... I am sizing at .452... and HT coating... but... as you all know there is some 'springback' after you size so maybe all will be well. \

On the 200 swc loads... Yes.. I seat with a smidge of front band above the mouth. I have not found the HG round to actually feed better than the Lyman even tho the HG has a longer nose. if my guns will feed one they will feed the other. The Arsenal 230 rn mold is perfect.. 5 hole and makes very reliable cast bullets.

I am somewhat confident at this point that at the least the 230 grain cast and coated bullets will feed and not lead in her glock. I will try the 200 swc tho cause I think it is a great round for target and defense at almost 1,000 fps with it's sharp edges.

Ok... I can't resist.. I really appreciate you guys input and help but... it is sooooooo hard for me to be completely nice to glock guys... I am gonna teach her to hip and point shoot... I am gonna bring a SAA and a 1911... I am actually kidding in a way.. if you get used to the glock grip angle it is no big deal. I just have so many non glock guns that I am just toooooo old and tooooo set in my ways to learn another system.

lazs

I have Storm Lake barrels for my 19 and 26, they are superbly accurate with boolits. The OEM barrels do extremely well with plated and jacketed. They do ok with boolits sized .357, never had a problem with leading. I don't load this cartridge hot or even warm. Around 1000 fps is good enough for me.

Boolit Master
    Remember, I sold my Glocks for something I could break down, and had a hammer. A CZ 75 SP-01. The only striker fired pistol that I could warm up to, and keep, was my Ruger LC9s Pro. But they were dependable.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Lead doesn't 'springback' from sizing. Old wives tale.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Man
    you may be right on the springback thing but even my electronic calipers believe that old wives tale to an extent. I think bullet hardness may have something to do with that?

Anyway... I appreciate you guys letting a non believer into the thread and being patient.

Ferguson... good to hear that the stock barrels do good with plated bullets. I think the HT and especially the PC bullets act very much like plated.. maybe a tad better. good news being that all my bullets are coated these days so maybe there will not be an accuracy issue with the stock barrel?

Tom.. yeah... I am can't warm up to the current striker fired which... is also a myth in a way because lots of guns with single action like triggers are actually striker fired... My 1907 savage 32 for instance. or the various Colt pocket guns. the striker firing is not the issue with me although... like you I want to have a visible hammer and love the CZ 75 and its clones. It is not striker fired per se that bothers me it is the neither fish nor foul trigger. Not a single action trigger but not quite a double action trigger either.. but that is not here nor there and many like and use all systems well.

What I do like about glocks is there is no safety... well... nothing you need to manipulate. Heck... I never use a manual safety anyway and I am a 1911 guy. unless you count the grip safety... I carry the thing with hammer down on a chambered round. for DA semi's I do the same. Heck... if they made a DA/SA semi auto rifle I would probly buy one.

Anyway... thanks guys... I feel better about preceding ................but.........you know I am gonna try to get her to sell that glock

lazs

Boolit Master
    Tell her to trade it for a CZ 97 B
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Anybody put cast through a gen. 5 Glock yet? I examined one at the fun store the other day and was pretty impressed. The trigger pull feels more like a single action, at least to me.

Banned

Will not be close to single action with stock 3.5 pound pull. Getting close to the best out of the box trigger I have seen which is the LC 9 s Pro, at 5 pounds. The Gen 5 is 6 pounds out of the box.

I wasn't really talking about the weight, but rather how it seems to break further back in the pull with less travel after you hit the wall than compared to my gen. 4 19.

Banned

I have no clue about that. I would expect/hope it had an improved trigger if Glock took the time to come out with a new generation.

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334 LastLast