RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Boolit Mold
    Thought I would chime in with my Glock story and lead bullets. Here is my advice. 1. Slug your barrel and cast /size appropriately. 2. Start at the bottom of the data range and work your way up. 3. If you get accurate results but the bbl shows signs of leading (under 100rds) then powder coat.

I tried shooting lead through my glock factory bbl (glock 34 gen4) and eventually got accurate results. However minimal leading was still appearing, this was before I was powder coating. Tired of the whole thing I bought a storm lake bbl ( which is awesome! ) and I started powdercoating. This solved all my problems. I shot an entire USPSA match (150-170rds) with max load ammo and had no problems with fouling or tumbling/key-holing etc etc. That load for the match was Acc #2 4.5gr under 124gr Lyman 356402. Also a great mold but wish I would have got the 4cav.

I got my lee 6cav to par as well. It is the 124 tumble lube rn design. Now I cast, size, then coat. Why size before coating? My bore needs a .357-358 bullet ( it slugged at .356 ) My lee sizing die .356 actually sizes at .355. BUT this is perfect for me b/c I size all the bullets for uniformity then coat. The coating adds .002-.003 which is just right for the bore. So now this is my go to setup, I havent shot them through the factory barrel but hopefully I will and post results. Here are the results through the storm lake @ 10-12yds off a sandbag. I believe that was a 5rd group.

Boolit Mold
    One square on that target equals one inch FYI.

Banned

Great post and info/results.

Love Life
    Fantastic!!

Vendor Sponsor

You fellas shooting Glock .45s I offer barrel throating for .452" boolits seated out so you don't have to live with a short COA length, you can seat out as long as you want to, PM if I can do you some good.

KKM barrel after throating:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Love Life
    Short throats not an issue on my factory barrels...

Boolit Master
    They are a pain in my storm lake 9mm G22 barrel and my Lone Wolf G35 barrels. Both require the bullet seated much shorter than I like.
    In my Glock 30S I find bullets seated too long for my G21SF fit it. Those are factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Short throats not an issue on my factory barrels...

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Storm Lake barrel on my 19 was pretty tight when new, both chamber and throat. I sent it back to them along with some inert samples of my ammo with boolits. Door to door turnaround was four days and its shooting great now. Currently saving for an SL barrel for the 26 also.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Uncle has a gen 1 glock 19 with 40000 bullet down the tube. Guaranteed 90% were lead, still shooting it to this day.

Some of 'em like boolits and others don't. My 19 is ok with them in the factory barrel, nothing really bad or good. My 26 does not like boolits at all unless driven at velocities that will barely operate the action. So it's getting j-words until I get the Storm Lake barrel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Love Life
    Dang, that's a bummer. My 26 gobbled up the RCBS 115 gr and 124 gr RN boolits with a max dose of HP-38. I used WQWW, Sized to .357, and lubed with speed green.

Now that I coat, I just size to .357.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Some of 'em like boolits and others don't. My 19 is ok with them in the factory barrel, nothing really bad or good. My 26 does not like boolits at all unless driven at velocities that will barely operate the action. So it's getting j-words until I get the Storm Lake barrel.
    Your 26 probably just needs larger diameter boolits. My 19 has a .357" bore, your 26 may be that large as well.

I size to .360 for my factory Glock 9mm barrels; the chamber is loose enough to tolerate it, and oversize is a good thing in the bore.

I'll try some .358's in the 26 and see what happens. Could be awhile though now that its dark when I get home from work.

Love Life
    Plus the correctly cut throat doesn't shave your boolits.

My experience has been that Storm Lake and Lone Wolf barrels are a big step down in quality from most OEM Glock barrels. If your Glock barrel doesn't shoot well with cast, you're probably not sizing them correctly.

Same as for Marlin micro-groove barrels, that can also shoot cast really well, but need to have bullets treated differently than conventional rifling.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by yondering View Post
    My experience has been that Storm Lake and Lone Wolf barrels are a big step down in quality from most OEM Glock barrels. If your Glock barrel doesn't shoot well with cast, you're probably not sizing them correctly.

Same as for Marlin micro-groove barrels, that can also shoot cast really well, but need to have bullets treated differently than conventional rifling.

Those are my thoughts as well.

Banned

My 19 and 26 shoot cast perfect. I am still waiting on a misfeed on either. Even the Gen 4 19 with the tighter springs.

Glocks are the same as any other pistol. Size it right and it will not lead.

Love Life
    Earlier this year, or some time last year...things seem to run together as I am always testing something. Anywho, I did my best to compare aftermarket barrels in Glocks to factory barrels. I even did testing to compare polygonal rifling against standard rifling shooting cast, but that is another story altogether.

After shooting 14 different Glocks in different calibers and each with factory and aftermarket barrels I came to the following conclusion:
    A) Lone Wolf is at the bottom of the heap for aftermarket barrels
    B) In some guns a tangible accuracy difference was seen with an aftermarket barrel, but reliability was sacrificed. There was no tangible gain in "Stopping leading" as not leading Glock barrels is extremely easy.
    C) While a tangible accuracy gain WAS seen in SOME guns, it was random. It wasn't consistent.
    D) Some guns had worse accuracy with the aftermarket barrel. Only one manufacturer's barrel brand produced worse accuracy. However, it was inconsistent as some barrels from the same manufacturer produced equal or better accuracy compared to the factory barrel.
    F) Factory Glock barrels were very consistent with their accuracy across the calibers and models.

In all of that I learned for myself that the money spent on an aftermarket barrel for Glocks was a waste of money that could have been spent on components or spare magazines or a months worth of Hardee's breakfast...

I/we also discovered that the sights are where to spend the money on the Glock. Glock factory sights are great for bringing the ruckus, but suck for target shooting. I did some filing on the front and filling on the back of one set of sights and accuracy improved due to the finer sight picture.

Those are my findings. Anybody is free to choose what they want and nobody has to believe me because I am just an internet typer.

Excellent post! Now I understand what you mean by the last line of your signature. Heres my little take on it.

I have been a Glock shooter for a bit more than six months now and have a 19 and 26. With both pistols and OEM barrels I can get excellent accuracy using very light loads. Bump the charge up to mid range, say a 122 grain boolit at 1000 fps and the 19 produces ok accuracy and impacts high. The 26 sprays 'em low and to the left. The 26 is very happy with a j-word at 1050 fps, I can usually make a nice cluster pretty close to point of aim.

With the Storm Lake barrel, the 19 is deadly accurate with boolits. I'm not sure I could even do better with a single action. I'm going to be getting an SL barrel for the 26 also. I am sure that with some more experimentation I could get the OEM barrels to shoot boolits quite well. Unfortunately that is time I don't have, at least not in the near future. The SL barrels love my boolits just as they are, load up and go. Another huge plus is that the increased accuracy helps compensate for my poor shooting abilities. My shaky hands and horrid hand to eye coordination make any kind of shooting a chore so I'll gladly take all the help I can get.

On the topic of sights I have really come to appreciate the OEM adjustable rear sight. It offers a better sight picture than the fixed version without the heavy black line inside the goal post. Windage and elevation are quickly and easily adjusted with the included little screwdriver and they stay put in my experience. This sight is only $22.00 new and like new take offs are even less. I can't find any adjustable aftermarket rear sights for less than $45.00. I use this sight on both my pistols. The sight on the 26 has withstood daily carry just fine.

Love Life
    FergusonT035- I see it all the time all over the interweb. Threads go something like this " I just ordered/ bought a new Glock. Which barrel should I get for it?". My response differs depending on my mood. Sometimes I say "Go for it!!" but most the time I'll ask "Did Glock not ship your pistol with a barrel in it?"

At the end of the day it is personal choice and preference, and I fully understand that. I love freedom of choice and stuff.

However, Glock barrels get a bad rap for no real good reason. Why? Because someone heard from a friend who heard from a cousin who heard from their Pastor who saw on the internet using his I-Phone that lead will cause nuclear explosions in factory Glock barrels and using reloads is of the devil?

The reality is that Glock barrels are high qhality, have a very good interior finish, and have correctly cut chambers and throats. They are good barrels and will shoot better than most of the people holding them.

But...there is always a but... some of the earlier Glocks had issues with unsupported chambers and that is where a replacement barrel would be more than beneficial.

Then again (another way to say but) Alot of "Kabooms" and destroyed Glocks were caused by retards at the reloading bench and not a design flaw.

I look at Glock modifications with aftermarket parts the same way I look at Colt 1911 modifications with aftermarket parts...an issue that lowers value. That is just me though and I'll pay more for a bone stock new or used Glock than I ever will for a new or used Glock that has been "Pimped out" with trigger guard undercutting, stupid stipling, and other shenanigans.

Do a search on this forum and other forums for Glock reliability issues. Then look at how many of those Glocks with issues have aftermarket barrels that haven't been worked over by a smith with new throating and what not.

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast