WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Love Life
    It was shooting high because you are too close to the target. For the rest of the world, 7, 10, even 15 yds is not the pistol accuracy standard...

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm more inclined toward fixed sights on my service/defensive sideiron & holsterplastik. Anything adjustable can get OUT OF adjustment, after all. Anyone my age that dealt with carburetors on their main ride knows that maxim right to his core.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Mine wasn't good to go out of the box, was shooting pretty high with the issue sights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    It was shooting high because you are too close to the target. For the rest of the world, 7, 10, even 15 yds is not the pistol accuracy standard...
    i would be more inclined to say it was shooting high because of the load.. different bullet weights and speeds are always going to change point of impact.. in hand guns and even some rifles.(i.e. 45-70 carbines)

i have fixed sight issues with glocks; revolvers and single shot rifles by load development.

if it's shooting high go faster or with a lighter bullet. if it's low slow it down or get a heaver bullet.
    ( stay within your load data of course.)

take your time try more loads or store-bought ammo. 9 times out of 10 you'll find just what the gun likes. or you'll learn how it likes to be shot in the process.
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Love Life
    ^^ That is also true and I have also worked load development to hit to where the sights are.

Boolit Master
    A gentleman here on the forum sent me some Lee 356-120-TC boolits to try in my new Model 19. I took them to my son's house and loaded them with 4.4 gr. of Herco, using my son's 4 die Lee set. Sunday I was off to the indoor range. I fired all 51 loads from my Glock and didn't take any pictures, but I was getting the same accuracy that I was getting with the 115 grain store bought jacketed bullets that I was shooting. When I took the pistol apart to clean it there was no --none--zero leading in the barrel, and the cases were all intact, no bulges, blowouts or and malfunctions whatsoever. I gotta get that mold........and most probably the counterpart in .45 cal....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For some reason I haven't been able to access Cast Boolits for a couple of days, it seems to be resolved now. Anyhow my 19 is now shooting dead on with the factory barrel using both j-words and boolits. I installed the 6.1 fixed rear sight and trimmed the notch down a bit until it was dead on. The Storm Lake barrel still makes tighter groups than the Glock barrel but both of them shoot more than well enough for my miserable abilities. I'm currently using Green Dot and its working really well. Minimal fouling and great accuracy with both types of slugs. I'm now squirming to get my 26 out of layaway!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Oh I know the feeling.

My load books are in the storage unit, and My son's books didn't have a listing for any of the Dot powders. I know my Lyman cast bullet manual most probably does.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Looks like I am not the only person whose late model Glock shoots high. The owner of the local fun store bought himself a new 34. With factory 115 and 124 FMJ, the pistol was making very neat groups at 24 yards, however 3-4" high with the adjustable sight turned all the way down. His wife and son fired it with the same results. The pistol is on its way back to Glock now.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    A gentleman here on the forum sent me some Lee 356-120-TC boolits to try in my new Model 19. I took them to my son's house and loaded them with 4.4 gr. of Herco, using my son's 4 die Lee set. Sunday I was off to the indoor range. I fired all 51 loads from my Glock and didn't take any pictures, but I was getting the same accuracy that I was getting with the 115 grain store bought jacketed bullets that I was shooting. When I took the pistol apart to clean it there was no --none--zero leading in the barrel, and the cases were all intact, no bulges, blowouts or and malfunctions whatsoever. I gotta get that mold........and most probably the counterpart in .45 cal....
    The Lee Truncated Cone autopistol mould designs are the shiznit, for certain. I use the variants with conventional lube grooves, and have the 9mm--40 S&W--and 45 ACP models. They run like water through all of my pistols, and shoot VERY well. I seat them with .020" of front drive bamd protruding from the case mouth--set a light taper crimp--and fire away.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Yep! Good stuff.

Anybody use the extra power trigger spring in their Glock? I ordered some Wolff springs for my Kel-Tecs and ordered one of these also.

Today I tried my standard 9mm defensive load in the factory barrel. 3.7 grains of Bullseye, Lee 356-120-TC sized to .357, Federal primer, 1.055 OAL. While other boolit loads have been kind of so-so in the factory barrel this one is a real performer. Neat groups roughly point of aim at 10 yards and perfect function. I ran them through my chronograph and was pleasantly surprised.

Low: 1016
    High: 1040
    Average: 1026
    Extreme Spread: 23.59
    Standard Deviation: 7.74
    Energy: 285.13 foot-pounds

Upon cleaning I found very modest fouling and no signs of leading. The 356-120-TC at 950-1000 fps has always been my go to 9mm load for every purpose in a variety of pistols and I'm pleased that the factory barrel seems to like it. The Glock barrel provides an increase in velocity too. The average for this load in the Storm Lake barrel is 999.3. Next up I'm going to try Green Dot.

I like that load too, it's a good shooter. That's also one of the few loads I didn't bother sizing (back when I used bullet lube); my 120TC drops at .360", which worked great in my Glock chamber, so I just tumble lubed and shot them.

I've modified my 120TC mold though, to make it a 105gr HP, and like it even better now. It still works fine for mild loads, or can be pushed a bit over 1400 fps from my G19 with +P loads, and still has less muzzle rise than standard 124gr factory loads.

Last edited by yondering; 09-02-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Wow, looking good!! I find that both my Storm Lake barrel and Glock barrel like the boolits sized to .357. Better accuracy and less fouling, not that it's really an issue shooting them as cast. My mold drops them right at .358 and I find that they seat more easily with a consistent OAL at .357 so tht what I stick with. 3.6 grains Green Dot with a magnum primer pretty much duplicates the above load but with a wider velocity spread and helps me save my dwindling supply of Bullseye.

Love Life
    The speed sights from Flatline Ops are the bomb. I haven't shot with them yet (will next weekend), but just doing dry fire drills I can say that their advertising media is correct in helping with fast sight alignment/picture. Just awesome so far.

More to come.

Boolit Master

Local Dunn's is getting WW AutoComp in regularly. I switched to that to save my last pound of BE. Burns cleaner.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Bailed out the Glock 26 today. Hopefully I can do a range report this weekend!

I had the chance to put a few rounds through the 26 after work. I was shooting some mild reloads at 15 feet or so. So far it looks encouraging. Function was 100% and the pistol is shooting pretty close to point of aim, maybe an inch high. I haven't messed with the sights at all, I suspect that with my pet load it will be dead on with the notch of the rear sight trimmed down a bit. I'm going to put a few hundred rounds of different types through to figure out what it likes. One thing that surprised me is how the trigger pull is actually pretty good out of the box. It has a smooth take up and then a nice, sharp break at maybe 6 pounds, just right for a defensive gun I think.

I carried the 26 some in an Uncle Mike's paddle holster walking around. It carries pretty easy, doesn't feel like any more of a burden or harder to conceal than the PF9 it replaced. IWB will probably be a little more difficult given the increased thickness, we shall see I guess. My lone complaint is the sharp edge of the trigger guard rubbing against my middle finger, which generates alot of complaints from other shooters as well. Not going to get out the sandpaper and dremel just yet, I'd like to enjoy the new gun smell for a little while longer!!

Love Life
    Shoot it and build up a callous.

Boolit Master
    I ordered my molds for the Glocks, the Lee 356-120 TC 6 cavity and the same design in 2 cavity 230 gr. for the .45

This will be my first 6 cavity mold. I hope I don't break it.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast