Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Boolit Master

That ^ is a good idea.

Your two barrels shooting to two different points of impact, in my opinion is a fine example of just two different barrels, two different manufactures. Different results.

Good luck.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Gents, do you find that factory Glock barrels shoot high? Today I did a comparison between the factory barrel and Storm Lake barrel in my 19. Distance was 10 yards, load was 3.7 grains IMR 700X with 124 grain FMJ. All groups out of the factory barrel were 1.5-2" high while those of the SL barrel were pretty much spot on. The Glock barrel does shoot very neat groups with FMJ whereas the SL barrel prefers boolits.

I understand that the Glock is supposed to be spot on at 25 yards. I never shoot at that distance, 10 yards is the norm for me. My pistol currently wears the original front and the Glock adjustable rear. I've deepened the notch in the rear as much as I can to bring the POI down. With it in the all the way down position I can make neat POI groups with my pet 3.7 Bullseye/Lee 356-120-TC load. I would like to get a slightly taller front sight so I don't have to keep whittling down rears, if anybody knows where to get one. When I get my Glock 26 out of layaway jail I may try to get it dialed in with this load using the factory barrel and different or modified sights.
    My Glock barrels all shoot to POA at 25 yards with standard for caliber loads.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm planning to try some off the shelf 115 grain ammo in both barrels since this is what I am sure that Glock and other manufacturers assume you will use.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Love Life
    Please let us know how the factory ammo shoots.

Will do! If nothing else I'm getting some good practice in. Also I struck a deal with a friend for the SR9c. Glock 26 here I come!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Love Life
    You'll love that Glock 26. All of the Glock sub-compacts I have owned and shot haven't really given up much to their big brothers in the accuracy department. Slap some night sights on that bad boy and call it good!

Today after work I tried out Perfecta brand 115 grain FMJ through both barrels at ten yards. Both barrels make nice groups, around 1-1.5" if I do my part. The Glock barrel is most certainly high and to the left about three inches. The Storm Lake barrel is really close to dead on, at least as good as I am capable of doing. The pistol has the Glock adjustable rear sight with the elevation all the way down and windage slightly to the right. Tomorrow I'll try Old Faithful 3.5 grains Bullseye/Lee 356-120/R-P primer in both tubes and see what happens. This is the load that I keep her sighted in with and loaded for defense.

Over the years I have owned/shot Glock 22,23,21,35,26, and 37 using almost exclusively my own cast bullets.
    They have all survived and so have I!
    I also found that the Glock barrels are a lot easier to clean than the conventional rifled barrels!

Carl
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

When I get the Glock 26 I'm going to try a few different types of ammo through the OEM barrel. I would be very happy if I can get it to shoot my standard cast boolit defensive load well, at least close to as good as the 19 with Storm Lake barrel.

I've had varying results using lead in Glock barrels. Sometimes I still do it, which I feel is perfectly safe as long as it's a load that doesn't lead the barrel severely. I have KKM barrels for my Glocks so it's not too often anymore that I run lead through the stock barrels, but I have before in 9mm, .40/10mm and .45 with good results. Some did lead up the barrel, but I blame that on a poorly fitting bullet. Some have shot so well there was zero trace of leading afterwards.

Put some more rounds through the 19 today with good success. I think that a 3.5 pound connector will make the groups tighten up even more. Looks like Glock OEM or Ghost are the most popular choices. Which do you think is best?

In a gen 3 pistol, use the Glock OEM "." connector (dot connector); the 3.5 is too mushy, and not that much lighter.

In a gen4, because of the different geometry, a 3.5 connector works fine, if it needs it. Some don't.

I didn't know the trigger parts were different in gen. 3 and 4. I put a smooth face trigger in my gen. 4 19 and it work just fine, I think it came out of a gen. 3 pistol.

A few of the parts have some small differences, I think the trigger bar might be slightly different but don't remember for sure. The biggest difference is the angle of the ejector housing; Glock angled it a little differently in the gen4 for room to make the grip smaller. This means the angle of the connector is a little different on gen4's; the angle of the connector is what determines the trigger pull weight.

Love Life
    I have been very happy with the trigger pulls on my Gen4 Glocks.

My Storm Lake barrel is out being cerakoted right now so I'm using the factory barrel. So, right now I'm going to do some load development with j-words and plated. I find I can get 500 124 grain plated slugs for around $45.00 delivered. Anybody like using these in the Glock? Going back through my old chrono data it looks like I haven't tried them in quite a few years, the guns listed are long since sold.

Was shooting the 19 yesterday with the factory barrel and 115 grain j-words. I removed the adjustable sight and installed the fixed 6.1mm sight. To my delight the pistol now shoots about 1" high at 10 yards instead of 2.5". What gives? I thought the adjustable sight in its lowest setting was supposed to be the same as the 6.1mm sight but I guess not. Anyhow I'm pretty stoked because now I have another usable barrel option. I'm gonna be trying alot of Green Dot over the next couple of weeks because I have a good supply of it.

Sorry if I keep clogging up this thread with inane anecdotes but the Glock 19 has been, and continues to be, a real learning experience for me, even compared to the Ruger SR9C I used to have.

Love Life
    That I why I leave Glocks alone. They are good to go out of the box...most of the time.

Boolit Master

In mine the only after market parts I'll use are night sights.

I don't like the extended slide stop or their grooved trigger so I replace those if needed.

I'll use an after market barrel, but only for caliber conversions.

They are great guns. I've murdered two pocket gophers with my 27.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Mine wasn't good to go out of the box, was shooting pretty high with the issue sights. The 6.1mm sight with the notch trimmed down a little bit seems to be right on the money. Another question: does anybody know if the trigger connector is different between gen. 1-3 and gen. 4? A buddy of mine who is an armorer says they are but I've never seen a gen. 4 specific connector for sale or heard anybody else say they are different.