Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Fired the 19 some today with the factory barrel. I'm finally bullseyeing it rather regularly. It seems the key is to grip the pistol quite firm and press the trigger with less fingertip than normal. I got the windage corrected by moving the rear sight quite a bit to the right. Point of impact is still somewhat high, maybe it is in fact dead on at 25 yards. I can't shoot that far and still find brass at my little home range. Still don't see any more fouling or lead in the barrel than any other 9mm I've owned. Things are looking good!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

No problems so far with more than 500 WW LEE ogive microgroove boolits sent through the compensated G17c. The only minor issue is the compensator itself, which requires cleaning... I am about to try G31c (.357 Sig) the same way, but using the LEE TC microgroove design.
    Last edited by floyd; 06-01-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Shooting is fun because it produces empty shells I can reload. This is the menu I try to prepare myself with love to serve it to my guns:
    .223 Rem, 6,35 Browning, 7,62x38R Nagant Revolver, 7,62x25 Tokarev, 7,62x39, 7,62x54R, .308 Win, 7,65 Browning, .32 S&W Long, 9 Browning, 9x18 Makarov, 9x19, .357 Sig, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .357 Max, .40 S&W, .10 Auto, .44 Spl, .44 RemMag, .45 ACP, .45 LC.

Love Life
    My Glock 41 will be here next Thusrday. Gotta love that blue label!!

I'm jealous.

The Glock 45 barrels are generally very accurate, and do really well with cast bullets. If your 41 shoots half as well as my 21SF, you should be pretty happy with it. I'm interested to hear about it.

Love Life
    I've been wanting a Glock 41 ever since I discovered they existed. I've ben pestering the gun shop non stop and FINALLY got the call! The man (good friend) had the nerve to ask if I wanted it. Sheesh!

I'm stoked about this one and will do a full range report. I already have 500 rds loaded wit 5 gr of bullseye so can get blasting immediately!

Boolit Master

LL,

The 41 tempts me also. Looks like the perfect night stand gun.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I've been wanting a Glock 41 ever since I discovered they existed. I've ben pestering the gun shop non stop and FINALLY got the call! The man (good friend) had the nerve to ask if I wanted it. Sheesh!

I'm stoked about this one and will do a full range report. I already have 500 rds loaded wit 5 gr of bullseye so can get blasting immediately!
    What bullet are you pushing with the 5 grains of Bullseye?
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Love Life
    230gr LRN.

Boolit Buddy

I tried to shoot some in a Glock 36. 1st one shot ok, 2nd one jammed but fired and 3rd one jammed my gun for good. Had to take to a LGS to get it unstuck.

Love Life
    Tried to shoot some what?

Boolit Buddy

Sorry about that. Tried to shoot some cast .45 ACP and that is what happened. Never had a problem with j-worded ammo.

How many rounds do you have through that pistol? Many barrels loosen up and chamber anything after you run a few boxes of jwords through them.

I'm currently on vacation and itching to get back home so I can get back to shooting. Storm Lake recut the chamber on my 19 barrel and shipped it back the day after they received it, of course I was already gone by that time.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Love Life
    What was your seating depth? What boolit? What was the diameter of the loaded round at the case mouth? I have been happily blasting LRN from my Glock 36 since I have owned it.

What powder charge were you using? Beginning charge? High charge? Middle charge? Below minimum charge?

How did the gun "Jam"?? Failure to feed? Failure to extract and eject? Did you end up with a bullet stuck in the barrel?

The Storm Lake barrel came back and is shooting great. They actually had it turned around in 48 hours but I was on vacation and didn't get a chance to try it until the past couple of days. The pistol feeds and ejects flawlessly and accuracy seems somewhat better than OEM, at least with boolits.

Boolit Master
    Well, I was roaming around today and stumbled upon a Mod 17 Gen 4, used, for a very good price. Used Glocks are hard to come by here.

After reading the posts and trying to compile the truthful info, It seems that a good cast boolit will be .358 diameter anywhere from 105 - 158 grains. This is my first 9mm, and I plan to let my wife take possession of it. She isn't really a "gun person", but I'd like her to have something that she can comfortably shoot, and something that she can keep nearby if needed. She really doesn't like my Mod 30. Soooo......

Will I need to be shooting RNL or will the pistol handle a TC design? Again, it's my first 9mm, not my first pistol.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Love Life
    It should handle the TC boolit profile with no issues.

Size .357-.358 (depending on what your barrel slug at and what will chamber), use a good lube ( I really like Speed Green and REALLLLLLLLY like Lotak Hard from the Bullshop), and you should have minimal issues. Check you barrel frequently during initial load development for leading.

After you have your load, check the barrel every 50 rds or so. If you make it to 200 rds with no leading then you are smooth sailing and shoot as much as your heart desires.

If I can provide any other info please let me know.

Boolit Master
    The lee TC works great in both my 9mm glocks (storm lake and KKM conversion for the 22 and 35 glocks)

Boolit Master
    Thanks. Until I get my stuff set up I'll have to use my son's set up...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    The only problem I have had is with a 31c having lead actually plate on the comp ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    It seems that a good cast boolit will be .358 diameter
    Instead of just going with .358 (which may not be large enough), I'd recommend the largest size that will chamber freely. I size mine at .360". No such thing as too big, as long as it chambers freely.

The Lee 120gr TC mold (lube groove, not the tumble lube version) is a good one to start with.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast