Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I managed to put one mag through it last night before the rain came, 3.3 grains 700X with 122 grain LTC. Stretched the distance out to ten yards, the fading light would not permit anything greater. I managed to bullseye it a couple of times but also made some nice clusters high and to the left. On the plus side there was not a hint of leading in the bore of the factory barrel, if anything it looked somewhat cleaner than the FMJ loads did. The Storm Lake barrel hasn't showed up yet, should be any day now.

I went ahead and ordered some things I think will help the situation based on my experience with the Ruger SR9c. An extra power striker spring should help the mushy, stagey, trigger pull. The 6.1 mm rear sight should help bring the POI down some. I can trim the bottom of the notch until it is perfect for me. Also, the gen. 4 dual recoil spring is just plain overkill for the mild lead boolit loads I shoot. I ordered a factory gen. 3 recoil spring and adapter for same. Hopefully this stuff will get it shooting right!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Love Life
    Use this target!!

So that's been the problem all along!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Use this target!!
    best target ever!!

Love Life
    I always keep a couple in my range bag so when it's my turn to post targets I will post those up. The look on people's faces when they finally head downrange and look at their target is priceless!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I always keep a couple in my range bag so when it's my turn to post targets I will post those up. The look on people's faces when they finally head downrange and look at their target is priceless!!
    SO not right.......
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

...yet entirely appropriate.

The Storm Lake barrel showed up yesterday. It fits perfectly and seems very well made. Rounds drop into it just fine, however the throat seems a bit tight. In the Glock barrel you can drop a round into the chamber, then turn it upside down and it will fall right out. With the SL barrel you have to pluck the round out, the throat does seem to pinch the boolit slightly. Maybe running some FMJ through it will smooth it out a bit. I cleaned the Glock barrel before trying the SL barrel in the slide. Once again I was amazed at how little fouling came out of it, I had previously put 25 boolits through it. I can see why alot of folks prefer to stick with them exclusively!

Love Life
    Glock chambers will have a looser tolerance due to their purpose in life. They are combat guns and designed that way. The looser chamber allows easy chambering during long shot strings (heavy fouling) and adverse conditions like mud, sand, etc. Mr. Glock designed a very well thought out pistol that excels at what it was designed for.

Additionally, the manufacture of the Glock barrels gives them an incredibly smooth interior finish along with a great throat/leade. I stick with Glock barrels because they are the bomb. The shoot well and clean easy. All it takes is finding the right boolit size/alloy/lube combo and you have magic.

Boolit Buddy
    I stick with Glock barrels because they are the bomb. The shoot well and clean easy. All it takes is finding the right boolit size/alloy/lube combo and you have magic.[/QUOTE]

This says it all.....too bad some folks won't put in the time to figure it out.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

I put a couple of mags of FMJ through the SL barrel after work. The point of impact shifted lower to where the lowest elevation is spot on at 10 yards. The groups were better although that may just be due to me becoming accustomed to this pistol. The FMJ rounds also get pinched by the throat, that's how tight it is. In my experience a throat that tight would shave boolits. That could be good for accuracy but certainly not for reliability. Ironically enough, it looks like for the next few hundred rounds I'll be shooting FMJ in the SL barrel and boolits in the Glock barrel!!

Shot the SL barrel some more today and turned in the best targets I've shot with a Glock: most rounds were well within the "there you go keep doing that" zone. Unfortunately the barrel needs some attention from SL. Rounds get stuck half way into the chamber, fail to eject, won't go into battery. This is with FMJ rounds that run perfectly in other guns. I e-mailed Storm Lake and within an hour one of their guys responded saying to please send it back and they would make it right. I'm going to include some of my FMJ and boolit reloads without powder and primer so they can see what the problem is. Things are looking good!

Love Life
    Sure would be nice if they had the time to make it right the 1st time...

They make it right and I'll be happy, everybody has defects sometimes. I do like the way this barrel shoots.

Unfortunately that seems pretty common with Storm Lake barrels. Tight chambers, and lots of sharp edges.

Personally, if buying an aftermarket Glock barrel, I think KKM is one of the best choices; I've never seen one that wasn't done right the first time.

Love Life
    Plus KKM is up the road from me...

Looks like Glock barrels aren't perfect either. I put my trusty 3.5 grains Bullseye/122 grain LTC load through the factory barrel today. Feed and function was 100%, however on e again the point of impact was high and to the left. The SL barrel by comparison is dead on with this load. Mebbe after the SL barrel comes back I'll send the original back to Glock.

I got an extra power firing pin spring and installed it. This made the trigger pull better, less mushy and stagey.

Love Life
    How far were you shooting?

10 yards, which is my usual distance.

Love Life
    Shoot at 25 yds and see where it impacts.

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast