Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Glocks and Cast

Greetings;
    Apologize in advance for appearance of invading this specific thread, but didn't find a better place? Happy to relocate as advised.

I'm prepping to reload commercial 9mm 120gr hardcast lead in a new Lone Wolf barrel.. What 3 best powders to consider? I have plenty of Unique, but what would fill the case more 'safely' re: volume? I'm sure Titegroup is faster/cleaner, but may permit multiple charges due to small volumes. I'm using Dillon 550B. Thanks much.
    Last edited by Walstr; 04-25-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added bbl manuf.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

231 will flow better out of your powder measure than Unique. For IDPA 4.1 gr of 231 under my 125gr boolits works very well. Double charging any powder in the 9MM case is pretty difficult to do and if you are just a little careful double charging should not be a worry. Universal Clays and HS 6 also work well in 9MM.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Love Life
    To be honest, I could care less about how much case volume the powder takes up. Whatever I have is what gets loaded. Your ultimate "Safety Failsafe" is between your ears.

That being said, HP38/W231 is my favorite 9mm powder.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    231 will flow better out of your powder measure than Unique. For IDPA 4.1 gr of 231 under my 125gr boolits works very well. Double charging any powder in the 9MM case is pretty difficult to do and if you are just a little careful double charging should not be a worry. Universal Clays and HS 6 also work well in 9MM.

Take Care

Bob
    +1 to these powders; I'll add that WSF is also a really good one that meters well like 231, and performs pretty similar to Unique (as does Universal Clays). Nothing at all wrong with Unique though.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    SR4756 fills the case really well and meters great as does Accurate #5. Honestly, I would use whatever is available to you. Bullseye is my favorite but went extinct well more than a year ago.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

For my soon to be mine Glock 19 I bought a Storm Lake barrel for it today. Anybody like these? Do they tend to work well?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I took my Mod 30 to the range Sunday and shot some ammo that I had stashed for my GM. Some of the brass looked like it was just short of case separation. It was a about a 50/50 ratio. I did try some factory ammo that did not bulge. I suppose that the brass could have been rather old, or perhaps the load may have been a bit much for the little gun, but I doubt that. Not being used to the pistol, I was shooting a bit low and to the left. My bullet was a Lee 228 gr. rn lead with the CR lube, and no leading was apparent. I do have to say that I enjoy how easily the Glock field strips!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    For my soon to be mine Glock 19 I bought a Storm Lake barrel for it today. Anybody like these? Do they tend to work well?
    Glock factory barrels are mirror smooth with a well cut throat and leade. I prefer them to after market barrels for many reasons.

A Glock barrel is like any other barrel. Feed it garbage and it will lead. Take the time to slug it and feed it the right size, alloy, and lube and you will be in hog heaven.

I agree with you, however I got a very good deal on the SL barrel and figured it would be useful to compare the performance of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I took my Mod 30 to the range Sunday and shot some ammo that I had stashed for my GM. Some of the brass looked like it was just short of case separation. It was a about a 50/50 ratio. I did try some factory ammo that did not bulge. I suppose that the brass could have been rather old, or perhaps the load may have been a bit much for the little gun, but I doubt that. Not being used to the pistol, I was shooting a bit low and to the left. My bullet was a Lee 228 gr. rn lead with the CR lube, and no leading was apparent. I do have to say that I enjoy how easily the Glock field strips!
    Were you using standard 230gr FMJ load data with that bullet? That Lee 228 RN bullet is a really poor design, that requires deep seating and takes up a lot of case capacity. You must reduce your loads quite a bit for that bullet.

FWIW, that Glock 30 should handle most any flat nose or hollow point bullet out there, and should even handle full wadcutters if loaded right. You won't need a round nose for feeding in that one.

Boolit Man
    I thought the concerns about Glocks were the partially unsupported chambers. This would make using any reloads questionable. Not just cast.
    Dan Dabson
    Dover, DE
    http://www.facebook.com/dabsonshooting

Stained Glass pieces made by my wife
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/connysstainedglass

Quote Originally Posted by dabsond View Post
    I thought the concerns about Glocks were the partially unsupported chambers. This would make using any reloads questionable. Not just cast.
    Glock barrels have been fully supported since the Gen 3's.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master

There are also pistols that have less support then the first two generation Glocks. Glock bulge is not just a Glock issue.

Boolit Master
    I do think that I'll find a better bullet. The 200 gr SWC that someone gave me loads and shoots very well in the GM, and I'm
    going to try a few the next time I get to the range. I dunno if they are Lyman or RCBS bullets, but I'll probably end up with the RCBS mold.

Yondering, I did note the bullet seats really deep, and the lube grove ain't much at all. I'd maybe best shoot those up in my Ruger Blackhawk....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Sounds like you're on the right track Tom. I haven't used the RCBS version, but the Lee 200gr SWC is a really good bullet for these guns, IMO. It's best with the bevel base removed of course.

Banned
    Two case failures in a gen 2 Glock 22 40cal and lead bullets. Second failure resulted in damage to extractor. Switched to plated bullets and never had another issue. These cases were not reloaded over and over, besides were same cases used with plated bullets. I would listen to Glock and not shoot lead in factory barrel but its up to you.

Boolit Master
    I'll find a different bullet. Can't see what good the pistol is if it won't shoot cast. I think Yonderling nailed it for me, most probably excessive pressure from the Lee RN bullet seated deeply.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Man
    Glocks blowing up was not as a result of unsupported chambers.

It was a heat treat issue in the 40's and 45's.

They used the same heat treat processes for the thinner walled chambers as they did with the 9mm's. Made them brittle. Saw one split right in half. Glock would never admit to it though.

Think of the low-serial numbered 1903 Springfield issue.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by mj2evans View Post
    Two case failures in a gen 2 Glock 22 40cal and lead bullets. Second failure resulted in damage to extractor. Switched to plated bullets and never had another issue. These cases were not reloaded over and over, besides were same cases used with plated bullets. I would listen to Glock and not shoot lead in factory barrel but its up to you.
    Was there any leading in your barrel?

Boolit Master

Sorry, the title of this thread is The Truth About Glocks and Cast.

So, you know of this heat treat issue how? Seeing one split in half proves what? One what caliber? What load?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast