Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .44 special cylinder throat vs bore diameter question

Boolit Bub

.44 special cylinder throat vs bore diameter question

I have tried several things to get my Blackhawk .44 special to group without success. I checked some measurements today and found that my cylinder throats actually average .4285 ( .4282-.4287). I slugged the bore again to recheck my earlier measurements and confirmed .4295. Is it probable that the smaller cylinder opening is down sizing the bullet before entering the bore and therefore robbing accuracy and consistency? And, shouldn't a .431 cast work fine for the bore? Thanks for any advise you guys may have.

Boolit Master
    You are correct.

Vendor Sponsor

If your boolit won't go into the cylinder from the front, then it is definitely downsizing them upon firing through the undersize throats. I do several Ruger cylinders per week for shooters just like yourself. If you'd like to see some finished work click on the link to the Facebook page in my signature, there are photos there of cylinders that I have done. Cylindersmith closed up shop, so I am now doing cylinders for anyone who needs this service done. There are four on the bench today to be done..

I do have a .431" reamer that will finish slightly over that diameter, if you'd like to send the cylinder you can send one or two of the boolits you want to shoot in it and I can make sure the throats are all sized evenly for those boolits. Send me a PM or msg me off the Cylinderhone.net facebook page if you are interested..

Doug
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Conventional wisdom is that diameters should taper down from bullet to cylinder throat to bore. Before cutting on the throats, you could try using a softer alloy and see what happens. I spent years getting poor accuracy from my .44 Specials and a big part of the problem was I was using rock hard commercial cast SWC's with Crayon lube over 7.5 grs of Unique. Something like half pure lead and half wheel weights should be plenty hard enough for a Special.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Conventional wisdom is that diameters should taper down from bullet to cylinder throat to bore.
    This is exactly correct. 2 things about the softer alloy comment, one, if you know you have throats smaller than bore diameter, why would you try to make up for that with soft alloy when the prudent and practical thing to do is to correct the throats? The other thing, there really isn't enough gas pressure to obturate an undersized boolit in the bore to seal with the .44 Special. .44 magnum, totally different animal and yes they will fire an undersize boolit and still swage it up to seal the bore because of the immense pressure behind the boolit. *IF* it is soft enough alloy!

I have found my Rugers take a distinct liking to 50/50+2% ww/pure lead + 2% tin. It is a really good alloy hardness for the twist rate of the Ruger big bore barrels. I totally agree on the hard as a rock cast boolit and hard lube not being the best thing you could feed a Ruger with, my experience was much the same until I came on this forum and learned about alloys, gas checks, and Felix lube. Now, I have .44s and .45 Colts that shoot cloverleafs for groups (WHEN my old eyes can do their part! LOL) and don't lead the barrels.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

BeMan

How did you measure the throats?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    measured with my calipers. Is there another way?

Probably a better way would be to knock soft lead slugs through the cylinder throats then measure them with a micrometer. It's somewhat difficult to get accurate measurements from a caliper.

Totally agree about a softer alloy. Over the last couple of years and over 5000 cast bullets through various .44 Specials and one 45 Colt, I simply cannot find any advantage to hard bullets up to and including 1200 fps. As far as lube goes, again, doesn't seem to matter much. My Star lubrisizer, with which I size all my .44 bullets, has hard-ish lube that requires a little heat, in it, while a home-made wanna-be-a-Star lubrisizer has no heat required lube in it.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

35 have you ever tried Felix lube?? WELL worth the effort to make it, and you can see the difference in group sizes..

I've made some home-made lube, but not Felix lube. Maybe I'll try it some day!
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 06-10-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BeMan View Post
    35 Whelen is correct, push a lead slug through the throats and measure with calibrated micrometer or caliper. Inside measuring of throats often gives a smaller diameter. Also I've checked numerous calipers over the last few years with certified pins and found the to be as much as .001 -.003" +/- off in the .35 - .45 range. Best way to measure the throats is with pin gauges.

Lastly I suggest, if you still have it, take that slug from the barrel and see if it is at least a slip fit through the throats. If it is you then know the throats are larger than groove diameter and do not need reaming.

Larry Gibson

Calipers are notoriously inaccurate when trying to measure a cylinder throat. Much better would be to use a pin gauge in the minus configuration, so that a .430 is actually .4298 or .0002 smaller. You would need 3 or 4 of them and they are only about $4 each and sometimes $2.50 each depending on size at Amazon. Just search for Vermont pin gauge and go to the sizes you require. It is the most accurate method of measuring a cylinder throat and you can also check your calipers against them to see how accurate the caliper is at that size. They act as go/no go gauges.
    Stu
    Last edited by stu1ritter; 06-11-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling

If your boolit of choice won't slip through the chamber throats with a little finger pressure, doesn't that tell you some throat enlargement is called for?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    If your boolit of choice won't slip through the chamber throats with a little finger pressure, doesn't that tell you some throat enlargement is called for?
    Not always. This bullet/throat relationship in a revolver is also viewed in the context of the barrel's groove diameter. I don't routinely ream revolver throats, in fact have only done so with one example to date. Even in that instance, I ran the revolver for close to 3 years to absolutely confirm that there was no other path to accuracy and lead-free barrels. Ruger's idiocy with (primarily) 44-40 WCF and 45 Colt throats as undersized relative to the barrels they fed led up to folks like Doug Guy developing cottage industries to finish building revolvers. My only caveat is that a shooter should be certain that throat surgery is necessary before conducting it.......it's not a first move, more of a last step after trying other less drastic measures to obtain good performance, which to my mind is accuracy without leading in conventional revolver calibers.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    To my mind is accuracy without leading in conventional revolver calibers.
    That's what I'm talking about!

To do this with restrictions either in cylinder throats or thread constricted barrels is a daunting task that can ONLY be accomplished with softer boolits and enough gas pressure behind them to obturate and seal the bore after they pass through the tight places. Soft booilts and j-word boolits are soft enough to do this with magnum pressures forcing them through those places and then sealing them in the bore by expanding from the pressure behind them. Won't happen in a .44 Special, or a .45 Colt loaded to tier 1 (14,000psi) specs.

Not shooting softer alloys or j-words? Once those hard cast boolits pass through a constricted place, be it a too tight/too small cylinder throat or a thread constricted barrel, they stay sized down. No amount of pressure from burning powder is enough to slug them back up to seal the bore. Now you have gas cutting up the sides of the boolit, skidding in the rifling from being under diameter of the bore, leading in the barrel, and terrible groups.

It's not rocked science, it's 3rd grade math really, there is no "magic workaround" or "perfect load" that will compensate for undersized chamber throats. They are just that, undersized. THAT.... Is the part that needs fixing, not having to come up with some magic formula at the loading bench that will make up for it.

Cylindersmith closed up his operation (I think) because of his health. I started mine, because of my health. I had undergone all summer of radiation and chemo last summer, and I am still not able to return to pipefitting in chemical plants and operating construction cranes which I am licensed for and often employed as an operator, so I am doing things that I can do in my own shop on my own time, and helping others at the same time to improve their firearms and their shooting. Why Ruger doesn't address the issue is beyond me. The cylinders in the medium frame guns are GORGEOUS! Almost all of the .45 caliber cylinders I have worked on have taken a .451" pilot very snugly. They are as consistent as they are pretty. They are just .0015" too small for us cast boolit shooters. Until they fix their end of the problem, I will continue to offer to help shooters fix it on this end..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 06-11-2014 at 06:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    DougGuy, I hope I don't need your services when my new revolver arrives but if I do you'll be the first to know. Ruger Vaquero 45ACP

Boolit Grand Master

Listen to Al - he is dead on - although maybe you can be sure in less than
    three years. Al is thorough!

Larry is giving you the straight scoop, too. Measuring anything with most calipers is +/- .001
    territory and you need .0001 reading mic for this work, and actually the gage pins (minus set)
    are the real way to get this right. As long as the throat is a bit larger than the groove diam and
    you are sizing to throat diam you should be on the best and shortest path to small groups.

HOWEVER - every gun is a thing unto itself and you should spend some substantial time working
    with the thing before just running out and doing the irreversible step of reaming. I have reamed
    exactly one of my many revolvers, and it was a particularly egregious case.

Ulimately, Mr. Target knows the real answers and all of our suggestions, while they are the best
    wisdom known for revolvers (much better than is known by most and especially 20-30 yrs ago!) but
    this is not a guarantee that yours will act exactly the same way. MOST do, but not 100%.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    Fired the revolver this morning for first time after having the throats opened. I noticed a huge improvement in groups. Still working on most accurate load, but right now 10.4 gr AA#7 shoots to point of aim and casings are not blackened. Thanks for helping me solve this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    DougGuy, I hope I don't need your services when my new revolver arrives but if I do you'll be the first to know. Ruger Vaquero 45ACP
    Received my two 45s, acp and long colt, from DougGuy yesterday. At an unwanted "continuing education" conference this week, but by the weekend I'll be trying them out and I'll let y'all know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fired the revolver this morning for first time after having the throats opened. I noticed a huge improvement in groups. Still working on most accurate load, but right now 10.4 gr AA#7 shoots to point of aim and casings are not blackened. Thanks for helping me solve this problem.
    Good news to read, and I'm glad the modifications worked out well for your rollerpistol.

Bill/Mtn Gun--don't necessarily assign to "thoroughness" that which is better explained by serial disappointment, serial disgust, and/or serial distractions. I did go through A LOT of bullet designs during the chase, only one of which worked worth a hoot--#454490, with gas check, made of 92/6/2, run at 900-1000 FPS. A revolver steps up to the plate 0-2 when it's a One Bullet Wonder needing gas checks and a narrow velocity slot to behave itself at 900 FPS. Oh, H--L NO.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast