RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Paper patch material

Boolit Man

Paper patch material

I read somewhere that the.old paper patch material was chemically treated to burn up. Any idea on what it was treated with?

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

First I've ever heard that. Maybe the early percussion cartridges, their paper was treated KN03

Most, if not all of the paper patch, on patched bullets, just gets shredded into pieces................nothing burns.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Man
    That is what I thought to. I have shot paper patch to. But this treated paper patch material sounds good. If you shoot in a dry grass area a paper patch could start a fire, but if the same patch were consumed before it hit the ground it may be better. Onion skin paper.

Banned

paper used to patch bullets intended for breech loaded cartridges is not meant to get burned, it's patch material that's meant to get sliced off by the rifling. the patch paper is the lubricant and bore sealer, and prevents barrel leading.

combustible nitrate treated paper cartridges get burned up during the ignition of a muzzleloader.

Boolit Master

Paper patchmaterial

As said, the paper will be cut and shredded by the rifling.
    Its only a "paper jacket"
    It will not come out of the barrel "aflame" . Too short a time
    in the barrel for the paper to come up to combustion temp.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master

My recovered patches show the rifleing marks and a discoloration from previous shot but no scorch or burn on them. If the over powder wad is right the paper patch is protected from the flame of the powder burning and flame. A scorched or burnt patch is a issue with the base wad.

Never heard of that.

I can't see the point, the patch needs to get the bullet down the barrel and shred immediately on exiting.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Banned

my recovered dry wrapped paper patching looks like confetti ....

Boolit Grand Master

The paper cartridges for the early sharps and some muzzleloader cartridges were rolled from paper that was nitrate coated to burn much faster and cleaner than otherwise. This was done to aid the caps igniting the powder charge as pain paper might block the spark or require a hole to be punched in the base. These nitrated paper tubes held the powder charge along with the bullet. WHile the bullet might have been Paper Patched it was a different paper. This patch rode thru the bore and is shreaded coming off at the muzzle or just slightly past.

Boolit Bub
    Gent you might want to do a little more research on what was done with nitrated loads.
    The muzzle loaded rolled paper with a conical ball attached was loaded with the bottom of the paper tore off the powder dumped at the same tine the paper and ball was seated. The cap did not have to burn through the paper. For the breach loading rifle the breach block cuts off the excess paper at the base as the breach closes.

Boolit Master

Kieth different loads, my 59 Sharps uses a paper cartridge that is placed in the chamber. The percussion cap lights the powder through the paper. Regular paper will allow the load to fire if the cartrige is long enough to be sheared off by yhe breach block. The unburned paper will still be in the chamber though
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Bub
    Farmer I get misfires in my 63 rifle and 59 52 cal carbine when I use a lesser load of powder were the whole does not get cut closing the breach. I use 100% cotton onion skin tied off with silk thread to a ring tailed Christmas tree bullet and sometimes a musket cap does not give 100% results setting it off. I get more misfires or hang fires.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Andersen View Post
    Gent you might want to do a little more research on what was done with nitrated loads.
    The muzzle loaded rolled paper with a conical ball attached was loaded with the bottom of the paper tore off the powder dumped at the same tine the paper and ball was seated. The cap did not have to burn through the paper. For the breach loading rifle the breach block cuts off the excess paper at the base as the breach closes.
    On the contrary. The army did have ammunition that was loaded cartridge and all down the tube. Not all the musket ammo was the type where you rip the flap and pour the powder. Also of those cartridges that you do mention with conical or “elongated balls” as they called them the paper was discarded and not loaded with the projectile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk