Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Elk Grip repair

Question on Elk Grip repair

I have a set of slim Elk grips for a full size 1911. Mine developed a crack going from the top bushing hole until about half way down the center. I love the way these grips fit and feel in the hand, so I'd like to repair them. Google has been helpful to a point, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in repairing that material, and if so, what did you use/do/ send them off to whom? Thanks in advance, Eric

I am just making a WAG here. But if it was me I would use an Epoxy. You may want to use a dremel to chamfer the edges of the crack some. Make it easier to work epoxy into it with a toothpick.

I would do it in stages. Fill the crack first, then clamp together. Then a thin layer across the back side. Then sand smooth for good fit to gun.

Even a cheap Harbor freight 5 min epoxy should do a good job of locking them back together and reinforcing them so it does not happen again.

You may want to add some filler to that epoxy so it is not so clear. Not obviously elk horn. If you have some deer horn I would sand that to get some fine powder that could be mixed in with the epoxy. You'd have to test to see how well the color will match.

Best of luck.

Love the idea of the filler. Thank you for that idea!

Vendor Sponsor

Superglue is best for bone and antler.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Dang, didn't know that. I guess I'll just have to "go for it" when I get back from a work trip

FWIW, a taxidermist "fixed" the antler of a whitetail deer my Son took.

One of his (.44 cal) shots at the running buck went through the buck's main beam.

When he finished, the repair was invisible to me - and I knew just where to look (I had taken a pic right after he shot it).

The taxidermist told me he used an epoxy, suitably colored.

Last edited by pietro; 07-13-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

FWIW, a taxidermist "fixed" the antler of a whitetail deer my Son took.

One of his (.4cal) shots at the running buck went through the buck's main beam.'

When he finished, the repair was invisible to me - and I knew just where to look (I had taken a pic right after he shot it).

The taxidermist told me he used an epoxy, suitably colored.

Holy buckets, why didn't I think of that? I know my Dad and Godfather had fixed a tine on a customers buck a couple "years" back. I now feel a peg lower, but a pinch wiser. Thank you for the epiphany!

Boolit Master

i was thinking acraglass as its sorta white and can be colored.

Fixed up Knife handle by filling the crack with super glue over several days. It would shrink, so the following day would fill the crack up again. Probably 6-7 applications, then polished it up, and it looked great. Matched the natural lines in the handle. FWIW.

I learned the hard way to, had one tine on my big 10 point buck that was missing half. So my hunting partner/old taxidermist buddy sat me down and showed me the way.

The filler is good for the top layers as it gives more for the epoxy to "grab" and it will sand/polish to very close to the correct color. I ended up using carving tools, some brown shoe polish to fix that broken tine. I've never seen anyone who could spot it from more than 3 feet. I can see it of course.

Hoping to see pictures soon.

I would use the acra-glas epoxy over super glue. It provides a stronger joint then super glue. gun grips have more torque applied to them during firing while having a firm hand grip that can break open the super glue joint. As said above I would use a dremel tool to route a channel along the crack line on the backside of the grips. About 1/8 deep and fill with the epoxy. Let the acra glas dry for 48 hours and sand the backside flat for a good fit on the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I learned the hard way to, had one tine on my big 10 point buck that was missing half. So my hunting partner/old taxidermist buddy sat me down and showed me the way.

The filler is good for the top layers as it gives more for the epoxy to "grab" and it will sand/polish to very close to the correct color. I ended up using carving tools, some brown shoe polish to fix that broken tine. I've never seen anyone who could spot it from more than 3 feet. I can see it of course.

Hoping to see pictures soon.
    As soon as I return home from a work trip. I have a somewhat local gun shop about 40 minutes away that has acraglass, and I'm sure somewhere around has epoxy.

I'm with DougGuy; Superglue it! Use a good brand and use the thin viscosity so it can soak into the crack. I build osage selfbows and use a bunch of this stuff to stop cracks in their tracks. I'm talking about cracks that have constant pressure on them too, not just setting idle like on a set of grips. I usually heat the wood (or antler in your case) with a hair dryer for a minute so that it pulls the thin glue into the crack once you apply it. Don't hit the glue with the hair dryer once you apply it because it will dry it too fast to soak into the crack. Once you apply the thin glue, you will start to see that the crack actually goes further than you originally thought. I apply glue well above the end of the crack just for insurance. Once this cures, you can do other things cosmetically to hide the crack and clean up the glue if you want.

Trying Superglue......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

The crack was more pronounced than I remember, and goes all the way through the grip, both above and below the bottom bushing on the grip (Rh side of pic). I hope this works, these are my favorite set, and I've got some nice wood ones that a friend of mine made, but these just "feel" perfect. I'll order some challis bushings, screws and o rings once my items in the classifieds get sold.

I dont have any experience with elk. That said, i've repaired grips of wood using JB weld. On the back, I'd take a pocket knife or a dremel and v groove around the crack, and use some jb weld to stabilize it. Then use the super glue on the front and polish the extra off.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bluelund79 View Post
    Trying Superglue......
    This is not very good superlgue to use on these. You need the thin stuff that wicks in and penetrates fully and maybe even some accelerator to cure it once set.

If you want to send them this way I will fix the crack, provided you haven't already glued it shut where the thin glue won't find the crack.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    This is not very good superlgue to use on these. You need the thin stuff that wicks in and penetrates fully and maybe even some accelerator to cure it once set.

If you want to send them this way I will fix the crack, provided you haven't already glued it shut where the thin glue won't find the crack.
    Oops....already used. I put pressure on the grips to spread it, and ensured penetration. Live and learn. Used what I had on hand. I'll see if it works after a day or two of curing. Thanks for the offer though. As soon as I get my bore slugged on my 69 and 686+, those two cylinders will be headed your way. I've got quite of few revolvers to get done.....

Sorry Bluelund, we weren't very helpful using the term "Superglue". That is kind of like using "Kleenex" to refer to facial tissue, other than "Kleenex" brand is actually a pretty good product, where "Superglue" is not IMO. What we meant to say was CA glue (Cyanoacrylate Adhesive), which Superglue is just one brand of many. I have had really good results with Hot Stuff brand as well as Tite-bond brand CAs. These companies sell a variety of viscosities for various uses. It has a shelf life though so don't buy it from someplace that doesn't turn over their product regularly and don't buy a large bottle unless you have a lot of stuff to glue quickly. Also be aware of the "gas off" that goes on during the glue curing. I have had some pretty nasty burns in my eye because I got the project too close to my eyes when applying the glue. The gas will also ruin certain finishes as well ( meaning, don't lay it on your wife's dining room table to dry.) My pain, your gain!

Boolit Master
    You will be very pleased with the challis bushing system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast