Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My 25ACP loading fun

Boolit Master
    My "Reloading Shop" is my Back Patio which has A Northeast exposure and is under a 10x20 foot Temporary Cover.
    I do get some breezes here to moderate the Current High temperature and Humidity "Problems". I also Try To Do my 'Work' in the Morning or Evening and Avoid the hottest times of The day.

'Coping' and 'Survival' are Friendly Terms as I am Retired mostly now at going on 75 Years old.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master
    I run fans to keep things moderated. Those almost help. A little. Humidity is the bugbear--105* in Ridgecrest was dry and tolerable, 105* in Redlands is a sweat lodge. I wouldn't be surprised to see us moving back to the desert in some form--and fairly soon. This Spring's allergy onslaught reminded me why I left this area in 1977, and the increased humidity since that time is another strong vote against staying here.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    This Sunday Early AM I was outside in The Smoky air cleaning up the Redding Manual Trimmer JBelk Graciously sold me.
    I found that it had been used for Probably something '.30' in caliber as it had a .304" Diameter Pilot in it.
    The Collet had been 'over-tightened' in the past as the Petals were Bent inward about half the width of the Slots in it. Once i got that Straightened up and cleaned and oiled all moving surfaces, it would Grip a 5.7x28mm Rim. so now i need a Correct Pilot for the .25ACP (NOT the standard Redding '.25 Caliber' one for .257" diameter).

Now to find out if Redding MAKES a pilot for .25ACP AND if my Local Reloading Store can get me a couple?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-09-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    This past week has been BEASTLY-HOT, Chev. And some fool playing with fireworks set off a 3300 acre brush fire in San Timoteo Canyon yesterday, about 4 miles east of us. Smoke and ash all over the place. Supposed to cool down a bit today, hoping to do some garage stuff later. Or get evac'ed, if the wind shifts.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    At Least My Home is Down on the "Flat Land" Alluvial Deposits from The Canyons And ravines that Cut into the Verdugo Mountains (Hills?) there is About a half Mile from the toes of the hills to my home. My Niece Lives in Sunland, north of the hills North Slope but is about 1/4 mile from the Brushy Hillsides.

She has Taken and Posted Photos of the Fire near her; on Facebook. NOT Happy Photos, sad instead.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 09-06-2017 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Corrected Typo

Boolit Master
    Monday, the Local "Air Quality" improved throughout the day PLUS Temperatures were Lower!

This evening I got out on the Patio and Worked with the Redding Manual case Trimmer I Purchased from JBelk.

Here is a "Progress Report" on my setting up and initial use of the Redding Model 1400 Trimmer JBelk graciously Sold me.

I received it and started out by Cleaning and Oiling it; and checking it out before Trying to use it.
    I found the collet appeared to have been tightened without anything to clamp; thereby over compressing the collet's Petals so they took a 'set'. This was remedied by Removing the Collet and 'prying' the gripper ends apart until the Slots visually appeared to be Parallel for their Length.

Before i reassembled the collet into the Holder, I Trial fitted a 5.7x28mm Case rim into it and found it is just within the range fo the Smallest step inside the Collet. This indicates there will be minimal insertion clearance when the collet is assembled into the holder body.
    I Will Need to take Extra Care to insure rim IS in the Grip point BEFORE tightening The collet!

Next I put Oil on the Adjustment Ring Threads, and Loosened the set screw to allow it to turn, Which took Considerable Effort to Get to move over its range the first time, less for subsequent passes.

The Design of the Trimmer appears To use the Cutter shaft for "Coarse" Length adjustment and the Threaded Adjustment ring for a "Medium" adjustment; as it has No reference marks to help gauge fine adjustments.

Note: The Lyman Length adjustment collar has Marks that can be used to approximate .001" fine adjustments IF the Coarse adjustment is locked properly.

I found out Redding apparently does NOT list a ".25ACP suitable Pilot" (~.246" diameter) But do list a ".25 Cal" one of .253" diameter; so I bought Two from my Local Reloading Store and, by chucking in a portable drill motor and using a Fine Single Cut Mill file, managed to work their Pilot diameter down to .246" needed.

"Tuning" the trimmer length Adjustments took me six cases to get it to cut 1.125" -0.0/+0.0015" and I then continued to cut a total of ten cases to verify it was stable in length Setting.

This 'trial' appears To be Successful and I will continue trimming a batch of 100 Reformed 5.7x28mm cases down to nominal 1.125" case length of my ".250ALS/6.35x28.6mmSR" "Wildcat" design.

Next, I believe i will try it on reformed .22 Hornet cases, trimming to the same Length for what is similar to a ".25-10 Halsted"; except for intended .250" diameter Bullets. Mr. Halsted Designed to use .257" Diameter Bullets in re-cut barrels previously Chambered For .25 Stevens (Long) Rf Cartridge (he also Trimmed the rim to .340"x.050" and converted the rifles to CF from RF).

Best Regards,
    William J. Stewart ETC USN Retired.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-09-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good stuff, Chev. The air got a bit less dense out here in Redlands yesterday as well.

I am no sort of machinist, but I do like all the precision I can muster while trimming cases. My first case trimmer was an RCBS from the late 1970s with a draw-collet that grabbed the case rim. This worked well, except that variations in rim diameter = variations in cut length/placement. Not the end of the world, but it annoyed me. 8-10 years later I upgraded to a Forster trimmer with its stop-collet system, and things were much mo bettah instantly. Variance is on the order of .001" ES. 20+ years later, I am still using the Forster trimmer, with powered upgrade. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am still not enthused about case trimming, sort of a necessary evil for safety and accuracy. So I plod through it.

Boolit Master
    Further Work with the Redding Hand Case Trimmer:

I now have done Twenty Reformed 5.7x28mm Cases; trimming them to about 1.125" length and found that the Length Variation is Greater Than I had thought.
    it is Running from 1.125" up to 1.130" possibly due to 'drift of The Length Setting in use but not yet Identified As to cause or Causes.

Resetting the 'Fine' Length adjustment is an interim 'fix' but seems to drift again with Further Use.
    Due to "Problems" with my Fingers; I seem to have a "One Sitting" limit of about ten cases on this hand trimmer. Then I need to take a break until my fingers recover again. This may be An Age Related problem for me.

"Cogitating" upon the Drift in settings:
    Is it possible the Coarse Setting is 'Slipping' slightly due to exerted Cutting Forces?
    Is it Possible the 'Fine' Adjustment is moving due to Friction of the Ring Against the Stop Surface?
    Is there possible 'Wear' to either the Cutting lip(s) OR the Stop Surface of the Trimmer Body?
    Is this variation in Trim Length due to Variations in Rim diameters?
    Is this variation in Trim Lengths Due to Variations in Clamping Force Applied?

It Does NOT appear To be Temperature Related as no Part of the tool or work piece seems to get Warmer in use as I try to keep the Moving surfaces of the Tool Lubricated with light oil. Touching the Cutter, work piece nor Rotating Holder gives any Perceived feelings of Warming.

Clamping Forces seem to be Consistent by feel when I close and open The Collet.
    Further Observation of Clamping effects needs to be done.

Theoretically, I believe I could make a "Collet Adapter and Closer" to Fit the Lyman Trimmer Body in place of the Lyman case holder assembly. My thinking is that the Collet Adapter would be clamped in the Body like the Lyman hold is presently; Be a hollow Turning with the Collet end extended out the face of the Lyman body and using a Spiral Spring Pin to index the Collet. The Opposite end would need external threads and a retainer nut along with sufficient 'Tail' top provide a surface for the Collet closer internally threaded tube to seat against in tension. The Closer Tube would need a Hand Wheel of adequate Size to make use Comfortable.
    Obviously this will take further Measurements, Thinking, and Drawing up Plans to work from.

In the Interim, some solution to the 'Drift' of trim Length in use needs to be discovered.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-09-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Chev,

The post office did not lie, I have it all and thank you.
    "A" should be the muzzle end, correct?
    I tried both of the cases in my RCBS trimmer: no go. Not even close, so I'm at a loss for your trimming problem.
    Thanks again.
    Cat
    Cat,
    I do not think I ever Knew the CORRECT Answer to your question as I did not Make my Barrel; Willie Clark of "American Gun Works", Glendale, CA Did the work.
    I have read That You can learn Which end is which by Slugging each end separately and Carefully Measuring the Slug Land And Groove Diameters to at Least .0001" accuracy. The smaller diameter End should be the Future Muzzle.

An Alternative is to Query Lothar Walther in the USA as to the Marked End of Blank compared to which end should become the Muzzle end.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

Where are you guys getting .25 acp molds? I've been scouring the web and have come up completely empty. Aside from the $200 Lee custom option.....

Boolit Master
    "Hunter's Supply" has an "out of production .257" Diameter "Air Rifle Bullet" of 63 grain cast weight it has Driving band forward behind a flat meplat round nose then a 'bore riding tail with a "Lube Groove" in it. I was Able to plead for them to run it as a hand cast run of 1000 for a surcharge. I tumble lube them then run them through a .251" Lee sizing die using a Longer than normal push pin to get each bullet completely through the sizing zone before the next bullet enters the die.

I have fired this bullet in front of 3.0 Grains of BE-86 from G.F.L Nickel plated .25ACP cases with WSP primers out of my 10-5/8" barreled Ruger Single Eight with NO evidence of Leading.

Hunter's supply also currently lists a "48" grain design both as solid and Hollow point in .257" diameter that could be sized down to .251".

Lyman still seems to be making their 257420 Bullet Mold (two Mold cavities).

NOE has an Open "group buy" for "Ranch Dog TL255-50-RF" Molds with some open Reserve places left.
    See: "NOE RD-TL255-50-RF (25acp)" on this Forum.
    Or: "Ranch Dog Mold RD-TL255-50-RF (25acp)" also on this forum.

Then there are other 'custom' mold makers that still catalog .25 caliber mold designs for 'one off' production to order.

These are what I know of from personal Purchases.

Jacketed seem to currently be limited to either 35 grain JHP or 50 grain FMJ RN in 251" diameter and Hornady #2510 60 grain JFP soft nose in 247" diameter.

Best Regards,
    Chev. william
    Last edited by Chev. William; 09-16-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Added Thread reference in BOLD typeface.

Boolit Master

That makes sense Chev. The ideal bullet/boolit path tapers from beginning to end. Thanks.

Hanzy,

I'm an old guy, been casting a long time and collecting moulds just as long, so that's how I got mine.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Catshooter,
    Off Topic But you reminded me of an OLD Science Fiction Story I read Long Ago. It was about a Future Mercenary Group that had 'air cushion Vehicle Tanks that fired 'Osmium' Armor Piercing Bullets Through Tapered Bore Barrels to 'Insane Velocities'; some where over 5000 fps if I remember the story line correctly. Supposedly the bullets were continiously swaged down in diameter as they traveled down The Barrel's bore and came out Both Hot and Fast at the Muzzle to Wreck Havoc, and Ignite any flammables inside their Intended targets, Punching through armor like a 'hot Knife Through Butter'.

As I remember it, the tale Was Very Good Reading and Entertaining at the time.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

Sounds like a fun story.

I cast from my Ranch Dog .25 ACP mould today for the first time. With half pure and half WW they are dropping out at .260. ! Hell, I can use 'em in my .25-20!

Cat

Boolit Master
    Sounds Like you have a RD TC256-50-RF mold; am I correct?
    What is your as cast Bullet weight?
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

I do. They drop, with 1/2 pure 1/2 WW at 51 grains, .260 diameter.

I'm gonna try 'em in my .25-20 too.

Cat

Boolit Master
    If I remember correctly, "Ranch dog" wrote that he designed the TL256 Bullet slightly oversize to fit the Actual barrels on his Tarus(sp?) and other .25ACP pistols whose barrels showed "Daylight" when a .251" Jacketed Bullet was set in their Muzzle and 'slugged' over SAAMI bore/groove dimensions.

He also wrote he later did the TL255 Design to make them Sizable down to .251" diameter for other firearms.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 09-27-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Please Check Out my new topic:

.25 Auto Long rifle Wildcat.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Please Check Out my new topic:
    .25 Auto Long rifle Wildcat.
    Chev. William
    Ammoguide interactive has added the .25 Automatic Long Rifle cartridge of .960" case length as their Cartridge number 1011 in thier Cartridge Master Data Base.

Now there is a 'Published' case drawing for this "Mildcat"!

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I noted that "Midway Supply" now Lists Jagemann (JAG) Empty .25ACP brass in 100 piece Bags.
    I have read the Jagemann is a Quality Brass Maker.
    Has anyone tried their .25ACP offering Yet?

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

PS: I have ordered two bags of the Jagemann .25ACP empty brass to try out. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 10-16-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast