Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My 25ACP loading fun

Boolit Master

I'll double it to two hearty handshakes! And throw in a thanks a lot, too.

William, your money went out in todays mail. Thanks.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

I'm not even sure my fat fingers could get ahold of a .25acp.

Boolit Master
    Lol. You would. E surprised when your son looks up at you and says "that's the last one? But I'm not done yet!"

Boolit Master

The RCBS mold is just fine, my MiHec is better as it drops more boolits per cast. Hand shake will do just fine.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Just for Drill and Giggles:
    Today I loaded Two Dummy cartridges using Swaged down Hornady #2510 60 grain Soft Flat nose Jacketed Bullets (.250" Diameter) into Two different Cases with my Just Received Lee Precision Custom .25ACP FN Seating Stems.
    - First case is a Swaged down 5.7x28mm one trimmed to 1.125" case length and Bullet seated to 1.395" overall Cartridge length Then 'Taper Crimped' using the Lee 25ACP Seat/Crimp combo die.
    - Second case is A Brass "CBC" case of .612" Length and Bullet seated to .905" overall cartridge length then "Taper Crimped" again using the Same Lee .25 ACP Seat/Crimp combo die.

I think They Look Great in Their Shiny Brass And Copper Colors with the Small Gray Lead nose for Contrast.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Just for Drill and Giggles:
    Today I loaded Two Dummy cartridges using Swaged down Hornady #2510 60 grain Soft Flat nose Jacketed Bullets (.250" Diameter) into Two different Cases with my Just Received Lee Precision Custom .25ACP FN Seating Stems.
    - First case is a Swaged down 5.7x28mm one trimmed to 1.125" case length and Bullet seated to 1.395" overall Cartridge length Then 'Taper Crimped' using the Lee 25ACP Seat/Crimp combo die.
    - Second case is A Brass "CBC" case of .612" Length and Bullet seated to .905" overall cartridge length then "Taper Crimped" again using the Same Lee .25 ACP Seat/Crimp combo die.

I think They Look Great in Their Shiny Brass And Copper Colors with the Small Gray Lead nose for Contrast.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Pics man, pics!!!
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    The "castboolits" thread "6.35x28.6mmSR Stewart, a Viable Modern Cartridge conversion for .25 Stevens Firearms." has some Photos of the Longer 6.35x32mmSR cases And dummy bullets so you can View upon the Process. My Photos are still in my "Photobucket" account that still seems to be allowed to 'host' - so far.

My Thread "My Ruger "Single Eight" in ".25ACP+" vs "Handloader" .250 Magnum Auto." has photos of my custom Ruger Single Eight Revolver and also still seems to be visible.

I will Try soon to upload photos of the Dummy cases I told about.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Catshooter,
    I found your payment in today's Mail delivery too late to mail the Barrel Blank section today so I will mail it tomorrow in a Small Flat Rate Priority Mail Box, along with two samples of my ".25 Auto Long Rifle" case made From 5.7x28mm "FNB" Brass (diameter of a .25ACP but Case Length is .96" nominal). Please see my Letter for further notes.

Please Let me Know How My Packing Method works.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Catshooter,
    Your Package went USPS Priority 2 day with delivery confirmation this Morning from the Sun valley Post Office.
    The 'tracking Number is: 0505 5150 6742 7235 1102 17.
    USPS expected Delivery Date is Friday, 08/25/2017.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    My Current Wildcatting Frustration is with my two Lyman Universal Cartridge Trimmers not Gripping the Rims on either .22 Hornet Reformed Brass or 5.7x28mm reformed Brass Reliably. To Trim a reformed Hornet or a reformed 5.7x28mm case, I have to stop and Reinstall The case in the Gripper Jaws several times.
    The New one with a Black Gripper is worse than my old one with a Grey Gripper.

I have emailed Lyman Customer Service asking for their suggested solutions.

I need to Deeply Trim about 400 Hornets and about 3000 5.7x28mm cases to suitable lengths for my "Mildcat" experiments.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

Thanks Chev! I'll keep you posted.

Cat

Boolit Master

Chev,

I just tried a Hornet case in my RCBS trimmer (collet #2) and it grips it well. I didn't try to do the aggressive trimming you need of course. Just FYI.

Good luck with Lyman's customer no-service. I have experience with them and it wasn't pretty.

Cat

Boolit Master
    Uh Oh! Maybe I should look into that "RCBS" trimmer.
    Chev. William

ADDED at 1510PST: Looked at RCBS Trim-Pro Power Set up and it looks Nice but the List Price is Scary for a Retired Person's Budget.
    Also It seems their shell holder and Pilot are Specific to each Case so now I would need to figure if RCBS has, or will make as Custom Shell Holders / Pilots for:
    .25ACP;
    5.6x28mm reformed to .25ACP body diameter; and
    .22 Hornet reformed to .25ACP body diameter.
    - Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-24-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Boolit Master
    Chev, I use the lee 3 jaw chuck in a lee zip trim. You can very easily make a depth gauge from drill rod.

Boolit Master

Chev,

My trimmer is an old, no power unit. Manual. I bought it off of Ebay for $75. It doesn't use caliber-specific collets. It's collets are for multiple calibers. The Hornet fit tight. I don't have a 5.7 case or I'd try it. Come to think of it, didn't you include one with my barrel stub? If you did, I'll see if I can make it work.

Cat

Boolit Master
    Catshooter,
    There Are Two Trimmed Down reformed 5.7x28mm Cases included in your Package; Which USPS tracking says was Delivered Today, 'Handed to Individual', so enjoy the Blank Barrel section this weekend!
    Look for the Letter I enclosed explaining which end is which on the Barrel Blank Section.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

Chev,

The post office did not lie, I have it all and thank you.

"A" should be the muzzle end, correct?

I tried both of the cases in my RCBS trimmer: no go. Not even close, so I'm at a loss for your trimming problem.

Thanks again.

Cat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Pics man, pics!!!
    Per Request:

Left to Right: .25ACP @.905" OAL; .25ALR @1.293" OAL; .25 Magnum Auto. @.1.566" OAL; .25ALS @ 1.407" OAL. All With .250" sized Hornady #2510 60 grain Jacketed Soft Flat Point Bullet.
    Note: .25ACP Case Length = .612"; .25ALR Case Length = .960"; .25 Magnum Auto. Case Length = 1.055"; .25ALS Case Length = 1.125".

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-30-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    A Pair of Modified Tools:
    First, A Lee Champfering Hand Tool that is TOO TALL to use with .25ACP Cases was Shortened in a Lathe to allow holding the case and champfering the Outside edge of Mouth.

Left to Right: .25ACP Case; Stock Lee tool on a .25ACP Case; Modified Tool on a .25ACP Case.

And Second, A Lee Universal Expander Die Small Case Punch is Modified to make a .250" Diameter Case mouth Expander.

Left to Right: Stock Lee Small Case Expander insert; Modified Lee Small Case Expander Insert with Lathe turned shank of .250"/.240" diameters.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 09-02-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys are having far too much fun with your mouse gun antics.

Chev--I imagine your Sun Valley temps are a lot like mine in Redlands--way too darn hot to be casting bullets, and 20-30 minutes of bullet sizing/lubing or case processing is about all I want at one stretch in the ambient-temp garage interior. Things weren't bad earlier in the week, but summer returned with thermostat set at BROIL a couple days back. Mizzable!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast