Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: My 25ACP loading fun

Boolit Master
    Midway Supply is selling Hornady .25ACP Empty Cases in 200 piece Bags inside cartboard Red "Hornady Cartridge Cases" Packages.
    I received two bags of them and one sample at random measured .277' body diameter by~.615" case length.
    This IS encouraging! I will do a proper Receiving inspection on this lot at a later time.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-09-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Boolit Master
    Completed measuring the Length of the lot of 400 Cases of Hornady .25ACP New Empty Brass with the following Results:
    .595" through
    .600" = Zero Examples.
    .601" = one example.
    .602" to .607" Zero examples.
    .608" = 7 examples.
    .609" = 97 examples.
    .610" = 197 examples.
    .611" = 117 examples.
    .612" = 37 examples.
    .613" = 2 examples.
    .614" = one example.
    .615" = one example.
    Total number received = 421 in two "200 each" bags inside two Red cardboard sleeves.
    NONE had any distorted case mouths; so this packaging seems to keep the mouths intact from Manufacturer to user.

Traffer:
    As noted above 37 are of the length and close to the desired OD for my testing of your Swaged 67 grain Bullet samples you sent me a few months ago.
    I still need to deburr flash holes and uniform the Primer pockets before I load them.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-29-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Several years ago a friend (I think he wanted to torment me) gave me his new .25 acp die set that he had bought by mistake. He had no interest in loading that caliber, not sure if he even owns a 25 auto. This is how I got started with this caliber. I refuse to pay the scalper prices that 25 auto molds are bringing these days. I found a source for factory bullets and started loading 25 auto brass. My strongest memory of loading this caliber is that I will drop the powder into the case from the measure and immediately place the case in the shell holder of the press. Seat the bullet and move on to the next case. I don't have a suitable loading block for this cartridge and this is my way of managing the handloading process. Since I don't go through a huge number of rounds this has done well enough for me.

Boolit Master
    A while back in time there was an Auction on Ebay for Loading blocks made from Aluminum and i bought two for '.25ACP' which I found also would just accept 5.7x28mm Case rims.

Perhaps a search of Ebay would bring up a current supplier of .25ACP Loading blocks.

Thin Man, I also Load my cartridges 'one at a Time' to reduce the Possibility of either a 'Squib Load' (no Powder in the case) or a 'Double charge Load' which would 'ruin my day'.

NOTE: I also have a "Frankford Arsenal" sold Plastic Loading block supposedly for .25ACP that is too Large in its holes to be comfortable to me in use.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I finally transferred the remaining 450 PPU .272" diameter .25ACP cases I bought from Graf&Son into plastic boxes to eventually load for "plinking".
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Since my Last post I have 'gathered' tooling to convert .25ACP brass into .22 Ladybug, .22 Remington Auto., .22 Winchester Auto., and .221 Askins Center Fire cases.
    I now 49 cases swaged down and 10 of them completed as .22 Winchester Auto CF replacement cases as Proof of Process examples.
    Also, "Ammoguide Interactive" has added case drawing s and data on the 5,5 Velodog and .221 Askins to their Cartridge Master database so the information is preserved again.

The 5,5 Velodog case, at 1.12" long, probably is best made from 5.7x28mm Polymer coated Brass.
    The .221 Askins could be made form either already formed 5,5 Velodog or from .25ACP as the case length is .613".

I find the .221 Askins Intriguing because of the application it was originally developed for: a CF replacement for the .22 Long Rifle RF cartridge to be used in a CF pistol.

I would like to use it in a Converted Ruger Mk1 Standard Auto with a 6" target bull barrel I own. Conversion seems like it would only require a modified Bolt and firing pin as the cartridge is supposed to work in the Same magazine and chamber/barrel as the .22 LR.

I have a used spare Ruger Mk1 Bolt assembly on hand already.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a few sample Redding Sizing Bushings from my Local Reloading Store. these are in the Stock number 78xxx series and are TiN (Yellow) coated Hardened Alloy Steel.
    The Sizes I believe i need are covered by Redding in .001" increments so picking intermediate step sizes is going to be much less A compromise. The Prices seem to be in at least two ranges $17 and $26 each, depending on ID.
    The Redding bushings measure roughly 1/2" OD by 3/8" high so I will be buying more PT&G reloading die blank bodies to machine to fit.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-08-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Corrected typing errors.

Boolit Master
    Things are getting to be interesting around me.
    I bought a Used Ruger MKII .22LR Pistol and then got a estimate for converting it to CF and machining a .25ACP barrel that I just could not refuse; so it is in the process of Becoming a Custom 'Ruger' .25ACP Standard Auto MKII Pistol.

The Used Pistol came to me fitted with a molded Rubber Volquartsen Target Grip on it that seems to fit my hand well.

I am Thinking of "Cut and Weld" of parent Beretta "950" .25ACP magazines to make one long enough to fit the Ruger Grip Frame; with the Feed Lips reformed to the Ruger feed angle.

Also I found that Fiocchi "Pistol Shooting Dynamics" .25ACP 50 gr FMJ is listed as '800 fps MV' (UPC 762344001418) which is faster/slightly higher MAP Pmax than the PPU ammo I have as my "standard MV calibration' lot.

My Local Gun Shop is ordering me 6 each 50 round boxes of this ammo.
    California now is going to require ALL ammo sales to be through A Local Licensed Gun Shops; so no Mail in Purchases anymore here. BOOOOOO!!!!!!

Chev. William

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    Things are getting to be interesting around me.
    I bought a Used Ruger MKII .22LR Pistol and then got a estimate for converting it to CF and machining a .25ACP barrel that I just could not refuse; so it is in the process of Becoming a Custom 'Ruger' .25ACP Standard Auto MKII Pistol.

The Used Pistol came to me fitted with a molded Rubber Volquartsen Target Grip on it that seems to fit my hand well.

I am Thinking of "Cut and Weld" of parent Beretta "950" .25ACP magazines to make one long enough to fit the Ruger Grip Frame; with the Feed Lips reformed to the Ruger feed angle.

Also I found that Fiocchi "Pistol Shooting Dynamics" .25ACP 50 gr FMJ is listed as '800 fps MV' (UPC 762344001418) which is faster/slightly higher MAP Pmax than the PPU ammo I have as my "standard MV calibration' lot.

My Local Gun Shop is ordering me 6 each 50 round boxes of this ammo.
    California now is going to require ALL ammo sales to be through A Local Licensed Gun Shops; so no Mail in Purchases anymore here. BOOOOOO!!!!!!

Chev. William
    "Custom 'Ruger' .25ACP Standard Auto MKII Pistol." Sounds like great fun! Do keep us posted.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    How will Ca. Enforce that law?
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    How will Ca. Enforce that law?
    The same way they enforce the ban on shipments of illegal drugs.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    In My Opinion, California will only "enforce" laws on the Law Abiding Citizens and ignore the "Criminals and Those of Criminal Intent" until some Individual Criminal is caught 'in the Act' of Committing a Crime using a firearm; then, and only then, will the Prosecutor consider Firearms laws as being violated and then "Plea Bargain" anything away needed To obtain a 'guilty' Plea without Court Trial expenses.

Any 'firearms Transgressions' by otherwise Law Abiding Citizens seem to get the Full Force of the Books of Firearms Laws, Regulations, Rules, and Ordinances Piled on as Felony Charges gleefully by the Local Prosecutors.

Just my opinion,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-15-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    "Custom 'Ruger' .25ACP Standard Auto MKII Pistol." Sounds like great fun! Do keep us posted.
    Please Also See: "My Ruger Auto Pistol conversion Project " thread on this Forum.
    Chev William

Boolit Master
    Today, December 10th, I received back my receiver with the Mounted .25ACP custom barrel and the CF converted Bolt along with my Two 'takeoff 4-3/4" Ruger Barrels and My custom chamber reamer.
    Now to get an Adjustable Rear Sight installed and make the magazines for the Firearm.

My Christmas Came early this year!

Chev. William

Added 20181212: My Local Gun shop and gunsmith added a 'bit of rain' on my happy Holiday, they said that current California Gun Laws and Regulations would deem an Assembled Semi-Auto Pistol with a Threaded Muzzle as an "Assault Weapon" and be charged as a FELONY!
    So I am Planning to remove the threads this weekend before any Assembly is attempted.
    I am Hoping my Friend's Lathe is available fo ruse this weekend and our Schedules allow me its use.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-12-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Boolit Master
    Photos of my Modified Ruger "Standard Auto MKII Pistol" it is now a .25ACP 'single shot' until I make magazines to feed it .25ACP Cartridges:

The Modified Bolt Face. Note the enlarged Rim rebate to fit the .25ACP rim and the Centered round firing pin tip.

The top view of the Bolt with recoil assembly removed to show the new firing pin in its channel.

Left side of Modified MKII pistol with its new ~8" Barrel.

Right side of Modified MKII pistol wiht its ~8" long Barrel.

These Photos were taken by my Friend, John Eggett, with a Camera that has a "Macro" Photo Capability.
    The Barrel Machining and finishing and the Bolt modifications and New firing pin were done by John Taylor of Taylor Machine in WA.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I purchase another 100 case bag of Jagemann Stamping Co. .25ACP empty Brass to see if they had changed anything:
    Case diameters measure .276" at base and mouth.
    Case lengths measured:
    .595" through.602" = 0 samples
    .603" = 05 samples
    .604" = 45 samples
    .605" = 23 samples
    .606" = 20 samples
    .607" = 08 samples
    .608" through .615" = 0 samples.
    As SAAMI recommendations are .278" maximum diameter and a Case length of .615" (+0/-.010") they seem to have standardized around middle length and .002" below maximum diameter.

So far Hornady .25ACP Brass is running closer to the Maximum length limit and about the same diameter area.
    Since I have not noticed any 'Length growth' in my reloading of .25ACP to date, it seems the Hornady Marked Product is yielding closer to Maximum case dimensions, which is what I prefer.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    This 'Winter' has Been Too Cold, or Too Wet, or Too Windy, or a combination of them to do anything in my Outdoor (rear Patio) Reloading shop. Then my Friend who Owns a Special Effects Shop has been Too Busy with work to give me Time on his machines so No work on adding to my case forming dies or to work on a prototype magazine for my Ruger .25ACP MKII Pistol.

Oh well, Spring is Coming, I have Faith!

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Today I ordered a lot of 500 ea. .25ACP once fired cases from "Diamond K", an LLC vendor. At $14.00/100 they are about the Same as the Least Expensive New .25ACP cases available. I am looking forward to see how these turn out.

Spring is beginning to show it's presence, or at least it's promise of Coming, around here. The winter Rains have turned the once Gray and Blackened hillsides to Green and Brown (mud slides/flows). The brush that was baked but not burnt has changed from orange-black to Green, wild grass is growing and seasonal Waterfalls are still showing in the drainage ravines along the Hill Roads. I am guessing there will be fresh Fodder for Wildlife this Spring and Summer yet may not be enough for another Wildfire Season this year.
    The Mountain streams and ravines have another new layer of fresh sand to be panned by summer prospectors in search of 'Color' in our urban hills; which have a history of Gold placer deposits. I wonder if there might be other precious metals also in the sand and gravel washed down?

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-21-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    The Lot of Once fired .25ACP arrived today.
    Typical 'Range Tarnish' so I dumped them into a vibratory Tumbler with Crushed Walnut shell Medium for an overnight 'polish' job.
    I will sift them out tomorrow.

40% chance of rain tonight so may be damp/wet tomorrow, oh well, the few days of 70+ degree days was nice after the winter of lower Day temperatures.

Chev. William,

Boolit Master
    Yesterday Morning I separated the tumbled Brass from my Crushed Walnut shell media, and was pleased at its appearance. Nice Clean shiny
    Brass-Gold color. I moved the Cleaned Brass to a Clean 'Fat50' ammo Can to be Decapped, sorted by Head Stamp, and counted at a later date; as it was Sprinkling and i did not feel comfortable in the Damp.

Today is still Sprinkles and Rain; so no work in the Reloading area outside.

My Back yard trees are beginning tio leaf out with the first ones near the Base branches and the uppre one s still bare and grey.
    The Ground is covered with Bright green wild flowers and Grasses, With my Rear Lot about a Yard tall now, it only gets mowed once or twice a season due to the added Costs and Strain on my budgets.
    The Yards, both Front, Side, and Rear (where my dogs run) get 'attention' every two weeks; so far still feasible in my Budgets.
    During the Summer the last few years I have had to let the yards go to Yellow stubble due to the Drought Watering Restrictions; so this Green Respite is truly appreciated. I do Water My Trees through the Summer to keep them alive and growing in spite of the Water Restrictions.
    I have one Tree, a Monterrey Pine, that was originally our First Christmas Tree in this home back in 1955. it was also our first Live Tree we had ever had, as previously we lived in Rental Housing and could not plant trees around them.
    My parents first bought the Land on a Mortgage, and when they had it 'Free And Clear', took out another Mortgage to build our home. The Home was completed and we moved in in august 1955, and they Paid Off this Second Mortgage in 1968, when my father retired for the First time. He Retired two more times before he died in 1984 one month before his 84th Birthday.

Chev. William

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456