Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My 25ACP loading fun

Boolit Master

My 25ACP loading fun

These little boogers re a bit trying at times, but all in all things go well with a plan.
    The home made measures are, top .5 gr for titegroup, bottom right 1.3 gr green dot, the bottom left is just a test.
    Got out and shot a few, the Bauer in the pic is the pistol I shot the most. at 10 feet I can hit a paper plate 6 for 6.
    Much more and the hits get less and less. Fun little round to play with. The boolits are cast from the RCBS 25-50-RN mold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25 setup 2.jpg   powder measure.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Sweet!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

I bet those little buggers are a challenge to work with! Cool post!

Boolit Master

Well I did knock a case or 4 over full of powder, but at 1.3 grs you dont lose much.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

So I got out the MiHec 25 HP mold and made a few up, powder coat with Smokyes gray and loaded some.
    Cool thing is they drop at .251 and with powder coat the boolits are just right to load.
    At 45 grs with the HP I did drop the green dot back a bit. Yes that is my finger, surprise, surprise, surprise!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25ACP HP.jpg   25ACP size.jpg  
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Master
    At least you are playing with 'safe' ammo... those things can't hurt you, can they?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    At least you are playing with 'safe' ammo... those things can't hurt you, can they?
    You make a funny!!! It is a little round, at just 40 to 50 grans and at around
    900 FPS it is not for a "fire fight".
    I call it my "get off me" pistol.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Master
    Found 9 mm fiddly enough to load ,take my hat of to you .

Boolit Master
    They look good.

Boolit Master
    They work great for bear protection when you are hiking with a buddy.
    If the bear comes after you just shoot the buddy in the knee and run.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Boolit Master
    I had afriend that said that to me one time, I think he was serious. We never did go bear hunting.

Boolit Master
    BE CAREFUL! My Ruger .25ACP Single Eight Fires 63 Grain FN Lead Bullets at about 1224fps using 1.89 Grains of Bullseye (Verified by Chronograph).

NOT a Load for most Semi-Auto .25ACP pistols indeed.

I have also fired 63 grain FN Lead through it using 3.0 Grains of BE-86 but have not Chronographed this load yet.

In both Loads the Overall Cartridge was .905" long and Used WSP primers in GFL Nickel Plated cases.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    BE CAREFUL! My Ruger .25ACP Single Eight Fires 63 Grain FN Lead Bullets at about 1224fps using 1.89 Grains of Bullseye (Verified by Chronograph).

NOT a Load for most Semi-Auto .25ACP pistols indeed.

I have also fired 63 grain FN Lead through it using 3.0 Grains of BE-86 but have not Chronographed this load yet.

In both Loads the Overall Cartridge was .905" long and Used WSP primers in GFL Nickel Plated cases.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Yes, my wife just got her father's 25acp semi auto. It looks like it is completely a blow back design so if it's typical that all 25acp semi autos are blow back, be careful with those loads.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the heads up, I have not seen that data for "rifle" in my books.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    I AM A REDNECK!!!

Boolit Master
    It is custom WORK to Get a RIFLE suitable for Firing .25ACP or similar Cartridges like CF Wildcats such as:

"6.36x26mmSR" (a .25 Magnum Auto sized Cartridge of 1.020-1.055" case lengths); "6.35x 28.6mmSR" (a CF Wildcat similar in Dimensions to .25 Stevens (Long) RF Cartridge of 1.125" case Length);

or "6.35x32mmSR" ( a CF Wildcat with a 1.220-1.260" Case Length).

All Are Made from Swaged down Cases of either "5.7x28mm" or ".22 Hornet" Brass.

Swaging seems to Be Easiest if done in Four Stages to reach the Final diameter of .276". i also Expand the Necks and shoulders out with a .250" Diameter Tapered Expander Punch before the Final Swaging Step.

This gives me almost 100% yield of reformed Cases from either Parent Brass. LUBE Both Swaging Dies And The Expander Punch or You WILL get "Bellows Formed Case" Swaging Failures!

I use Lee Carbide Ring "Opened" .25ACP Sizing dies for my Swaging Set, at about $60 for each size ($28 Die plus $30 "Opening Fee" from Lee Precision).
    I size my Bullets to about .250" for Jacketed ones and .252" for Lead ones.

A retirement "Putter Project set That I have been Doing for about four years now.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-09-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Further Clarification on my Experiments:

I have a Ruger ".22 CAL Single Six" that I bought Used and had my Local Gunshop Gunsmith Customize into a Ruger "10-5.8" Long Barrel .25ACP Single Eight" by converting from RF to CF, installing a Custom Barrel made from a Lothar Walther Cr-Mo Steel .25 Auto / 6,35 Browning Barrel Blank. The Firearm in a Blued finish and, after initial 'teething' problems is now very Nice and fun to shoot. I have purchased multiple .22WMR 8-shot 'replacement cylinders, both from 'gunpartscorp.com' and on Ebay for further caliber conversion use.

I am still a Little weak in my Single handed Hold but am getting better.
    A Friend shot it at 12" x 100 yard away steel 'Gong' at the commercial rifle range with consistent Hits so I believe the revolver is more accurate than I am at the Moment.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    I would be happy just to have a converted 25 rim fire for a 25acp rifle. Or a sleeved h&r single shot shotgun. I'm not picky.

Boolit Master
    There is a Stevens "Favorite" for Sale or Trade on this Forum in another Thread.

Since it is a .22RF, it would need a Reline Job, I would Suggest starting with Lothar Walther .25 Auto Cr-Mo Steel Barrel Blank and Have a New Barrel machined for The Favorite Action. The Blanks are about 1.1" OD by 23.7" Long and Are six land/Groove at 1 turn in 9.8" twist.
    Since it has a "Broken Firing Pin", it is a Prime Candidate for Conversion to Center Fire.
    The Extractor would need Careful modification to fit and extract .25ACP cases properly.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 08-10-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    The barrel blanks are $200 correct? The firing pin hole needs re-cut, and a new one made from drill rod. I'm assuming most gunsmiths can do this. And a chamber reamer needs rented. You've had this done correct? What reamer do you recommend?

Boolit Master

I would like to buy four to five inches of a Walther barrel from either of you gentlemen.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast